Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

What's the protocol for adding API scripts and character sheets based on them? (Exalted 3e)

I've been working on some nice scripts to handle things for an Exalted 3e campaign I'm about to do. I've added a bunch of stuff to TheAaron's lovely Exalted 3e character sheet, and used Ken Leavitt's very useful exalted dice roller script to add a load of functionality for integrating ability rolls, attack rolls, withering damage, setting status markers and more. It's my first go at writing stuff for the API and, while I'm sure it's not exactly the best quality code you ever saw, I'm pretty pleased with the results! Is this something that others would be interested in? Is it okay for the character sheet to absolutely require the script to go with it (for ability rolls, withering and decisive attacks)? Would this be the kind of thing that might be added to the script library/character sheet templates? I'm not quite done adding features with I think I might find useful yet, but I'm curious as to what might come of the scripts and sheet when they're "finished".

Edited 1568387513
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
First, if you are planning on uploading to the repository, you should be aware that roll20 dont usually allow a second community copy of the same game system. So if there's already an exalted 3e sheet, the only way to add yours would be to overwrite that one. That is generally bad form, unless You are not removing existing features, just adding new ones. This one isnt a rule, just good form. You handle conversion of any different attribute names seamlessly so users of the old sheet wont lose data, and Dont require the API (since that would reduce the sheet's functionality for people who aren't Pro users - the vast majority of roll20's user base). It's fine to add script features if they are an option that can be toggled off, and aren't required for the sheet to function. It's also a good idea (but not a rule) not to change the sheet's appearance too drastically since people will be used to the old version, unless you can justify it as an actual improvement most people will appreciate. The wiki has a section on rules for submitting character sheets, btw. If you plan on maintaining your sheet independently of the roll20 repository, and making it available for Pro users (who can add it as a custom sheet), that's the best way to share sheets that require Pro features like the API IMO. Since Pro users can use scripts and install custom sheets, they can add it easily. Free and Plus users cant use scripts, so no point adding a sheet that requires them to the repository.
Thank you! I didn't know that about the sheets,but it **is** obvious know that you mention it, and I've had my coffee :) I certainly wouldn't want to claim credit for just adding a few new text areas to the sheet, so I'll leave it be for now
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I wouldnt worry about credit. The model the repository is built on is that no one has ownership of the sheets there. The sheets belong to the community and anyone can update them. This is important because sheet designers lose interest and move on to other things, and if they are bugs or other changes need, anyone can step in and fix them. And can also make improvements, especially if they benefit everyone (not just Pro users).