Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

System requirements for weather effects.

David
Sheet Author
What are the system requirements needed to have the weather animations play for smoothly.   I have tried the various previews and they stutter a lot pausing every few frames. Is this what I can expect if I purchase any of them?

Edited 1570293447
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I don't think there is any hard system requirement other than decent internet (bandwidth and latency) similar to needing it for video games and I'm not even sure that is a requirement. I would recommend 8 to 16 gigs of memory or more and a large enough temp space for your browser to have access for their cache. There are a wide variety of factors that can account for the stuttering.
David
Sheet Author
Pat S. said: I don't think there is any hard system requirement other than decent internet (bandwidth and latency) similar to needing it for video games and I'm not even sure that is a requirement. I would recommend 8 to 16 gigs of memory or more and a large enough temp space for your browser to have access for their cache. There are a wide variety of factors that can account for the stuttering. Once the video is cached the bandwidth should have no effect as for the rest of requirements they have to be way off base (8gig - 16 gig memory?).  These are small video files not HD movies.

Edited 1570295108
David
Sheet Author
Just found this thread&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7368016/animation-feedback-thread-2-dot-0/?pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7368016/animation-feedback-thread-2-dot-0/?pagenum=1</a> &nbsp;seems this has been issue for a while.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
David said: Pat S. said: I don't think there is any hard system requirement other than decent internet (bandwidth and latency) similar to needing it for video games and I'm not even sure that is a requirement. I would recommend 8 to 16 gigs of memory or more and a large enough temp space for your browser to have access for their cache. There are a wide variety of factors that can account for the stuttering. Once the video is cached the bandwidth should have no effect as for the rest of requirements they have to be way off base (8gig - 16 gig memory?).&nbsp; These are small video files not HD movies. I mentioned "I don't think" and "not sure" as I have never used animation due to the limitations my computer has (most of it is 10+yrs old) and the memory reference was motherboard memory not graphic card memory. I did not even consider graphic cards due to the limitation of my card but was only considering the browser and it's limitations which involves the cache size. I agree once it is cached the bandwidth should not be an issue but for a few reason I'm not sure. How much information is passed back and forth between the computer and servers when tokens are moved on the canvas.element of the browser? How does this affect the animation? Does it cause the cache to constantly update to keep it current? There are lots of unknowns about how tied the cache is tied to bandwidth for updating while the game is being used, or at least for me there is.
Animations are poorly implemented and cause lag and stuttering music. :/ Sad but true.
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Larger animations (in pixel size) do have lag. It has been a known issue for a while now, however smaller animations do not have the same result. I have done a great deal of testing on these, and I have found that anything over about 12x12 units or so (1680x1680 in pixel size) do result in a "stutter" at the looping point of the animation. Unfortunately weather animations are going to be larger in size and will result in this behavior. It's not even a matter of file size as most of the WebM files I have uploaded are under 2mb, but seems to be related to the actual pixel size. Smaller items (like torches and trap tokens) don't get this stutter, at least not in my extensive testing.
David
Sheet Author
Thanks Munky that is a very useful answer. I went back to market place and the previews seem to confirm&nbsp; that.