Advertisement Create a free account

Allow Exploding and Penetrating dice to roll a different-sized die on subesquent rolls.

Score + 18
Currently, 1d20!p   rolls 1d20, and then adds another 1d20-1 if the first die rolled a max roll However, in Hackmaster 5th Edition,  and presumably in some other systems or circumstances,  you do not always roll the same-sized die when you explode or penetrate.   In HM5,  max on a 1d20 penetrates uses a 1d6-1,   and 1d100 penetrates using a 1d20. I would like the ability to specify what penetrating die should be rolled, on a max result. Something like 1d20!p(1d6)   in order to specify that on max result, a 1d6-1 should be rolled and added in,  rather than a 1d20-1 1d20!(1d6)  would be the same, except without the -1 on the subsequent rolls.   
I second this!
Agreed!
Thirded!
JonCon
KS Backer
YES. THIS!
Make this a thing please.
Everyone expressing support in comments, please remember to vote for this as well,  by clicking the blue triangle in the top left, next to "Score +X"
I would also appreciate the feature 
The most difficult scenario is probably an unarmed damage roll: That does (1d4-2)!p + (1d4-2)!p  damage....  and the -2 is supposed to carry over as part of the inherent die,  so if you roll max result,  you're supposed to roll a 1d4-3 as the penetrating die...  unless you're a monk/cleric class, in which case your penetrating die is a 1d4-1. Currently, we can't make the modifier part of the die roll which penetrates or explodes,  and we can't specify that a different die (with or without it's own inherent mods) might be neccessary on the penetrating roll.

Edited 1570637221
I would like to do this for crits & fumbles for my own game I am writing as well. (not HackMaster) Also, can certain rolls trigger secondary macros or such?
D.M. Z. said: I would like to do this for crits & fumbles for my own game I am writing as well. (not HackMaster) Also, can certain rolls trigger secondary macros or such? What do you mean?  Like automatically rolling on a critical hit table, whenever a critical hit is rolled? I think there's already a way to program a character sheet to embed a link to roll on a critical hit table,  which link would only show if and when you roll a critical hit....
Ronald H. said: D.M. Z. said: I would like to do this for crits & fumbles for my own game I am writing as well. (not HackMaster) Also, can certain rolls trigger secondary macros or such? What do you mean?  Like automatically rolling on a critical hit table, whenever a critical hit is rolled? I think there's already a way to program a character sheet to embed a link to roll on a critical hit table,  which link would only show if and when you roll a critical hit.... Another table is one thing, but adding the prior die rolled in is another. Maybe I want the today applied against some factor and need the d20 penetrating to a d6? or maybe a d8? If armor points start coming into play as resistance versus crits then I may well want to keep the hit or damage roll, but penetration may not be as severe. I can see uses for this in regards to damage and criticals, thus allowing different things to affect the total rolls and change the odds (maybe I want all damage dice to penetrate to d4's no matter the die rolled). Having options in a popular medium increases my flexibility as a designer
1d8!!p>5 should already roll 1d8, which penetrates on a 5 or greater, and reports the result as a single die roll with a single combined value. The next logical step is the ability to specify a different sized die,  to be rolled on penetration,  and the ability to specify in parenthesis that a die has an inherent modifier to it, which should carry over to any penetrating roll. D.M. Z. said: Ronald H. said: D.M. Z. said: I would like to do this for crits & fumbles for my own game I am writing as well. (not HackMaster) Also, can certain rolls trigger secondary macros or such? What do you mean?  Like automatically rolling on a critical hit table, whenever a critical hit is rolled? I think there's already a way to program a character sheet to embed a link to roll on a critical hit table,  which link would only show if and when you roll a critical hit.... Another table is one thing, but adding the prior die rolled in is another. Maybe I want the today applied against some factor and need the d20 penetrating to a d6? or maybe a d8? If armor points start coming into play as resistance versus crits then I may well want to keep the hit or damage roll, but penetration may not be as severe. I can see uses for this in regards to damage and criticals, thus allowing different things to affect the total rolls and change the odds (maybe I want all damage dice to penetrate to d4's no matter the die rolled). Having options in a popular medium increases my flexibility as a designer
Yes please
Yes!
This feature would be helpful for me, thanks.