Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Make players able to see only certain messages during chat

It would be nice if there was a way to have messages tagged or users tagged so you could have a lot of people in text chat, but only certain groups of them visible to certain players so it is coherent. For example: 1. Make it so you can tag certain players into groups who will see ONLY their messages in chat, while everyone else sees messages associated to them. That way you can have people only see messages related to a room they're in, or some other specific location on the map, without everyone talking over each other.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
One way to accomplish this would be to set up a character and assign it to all the people you want to communicate with, then whisper to that character. All the people assigned to that character will get the message and the others won’t. 

Edited 1571248411
mAc
Pro
I have thought of that -- but it requires lots of constant updating of character owners by the GM whenever the group changes, and if you're in a game with some subterfuge elements, it would be easy to accidentally mess it up by putting something to chat by accident. So it's a workaround but it doesn't really fit the need. Also, I believe the chat log doesn't store whispers long term so there's that too.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
The chat log stores whispers but only shows them if the person viewing the log could see the whispers to begin with in-game.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
mAc said: I have thought of that -- but it requires lots of constant updating of character owners by the GM whenever the group changes, and if you're in a game with some subterfuge elements, it would be easy to accidentally mess it up by putting something to chat by accident. So it's a workaround but it doesn't really fit the need. You'll have that problem anyway, because whatever mechanism is implemented will need to be maintained, whether it's a list or whatever. The problem with character sheets as a "solution" is the clutter in the Journals section. But the system isn't going to be able to read minds, so a list will need to be maintained somewhere, unless you want to manually enter every character/player every time (which I wouldn't). Another solution that might work (I haven't tested it) would be to create a macro like this: /w player1 ?{Message to send} /w player2 ?{Message to send} /w player3 ?{Message to send} /w player4 ?{Message to send} player1-4, of course, would be replaced by the actual character or player name. That, potential, solution isn't without problems either, the message box to type your message is really small. Another possible solution could be to send messages to "Pages" which could send the message to every player with a token on a specific page. That would require splitting the party, but could also have less maintenance of lists and the such. What were you envisioning, though, as a way this could work? (Don't mean that to sound challenging, just looking for other potential ways so the Devs might have an easier time with implementing/understanding and for others to put votes on this option). Perhaps something like: /w ?{selected} <type on long message here...> Then that could send a message to every token selected on a map/page. That way if all the players are on the same map, but split into different rooms, you could send the same message to the players in a "room." (I mention this, because above you mention players in a "room"). D
Easiest way is a whisper macro in the mean time.  Have it ask if it's to be a whisper, and if so, to whom it's going.  The only changes will occur when a PC dies, or gets replaced for whatever reason.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .