Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

How to play?

Hello.I have been wanting to play d&d for a long time,so much so that I have read TPH and EE and already have a character sheet,but I don't know how this website works.Do I join a game,then someone DM's on a discord with special commands?Or is everything text based? ts;dr: Where do I actually play?
1572355664
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Here's the welcome message I used to send out when I was a moderator. It should have some direction. Please note that the tutorial is very out of date. It will only take you so far before breaking: First off: Welcome to Roll20! If you are looking to dive on in please check out the  Tutorial - This in-game walk-through will show you how to use various parts of our Virtual Tabletop (VTT). Additionally, starting your own test game to play with different features and controls is a fantastic way of getting used to the software and layout! If you are ready to jump into some adventures, check out the  Looking For Group Tool  and  Looking for Group Forum  daily for games that may be of interest to you. Also, be sure to fill out your  User Profile ! Your "Bio" is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself The "Enjoys Playing" section is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for  The Orr Group Industry Report  of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you The "Actively Seeks Group For" section is where you can add yourself to the  Player Directory  for systems you want to play We also have a  wiki  where you can find answers to a lot of your questions! However, if you can't find an answer, feel free to post in our  various sub-forums  based on their particular topics. Completely new to Role-Playing Games?  Check out our  Introduction to Tabletop RPGs  wiki page. Good luck (and loot) on your adventures!
Thanks! So none of the games are hosted on discord?I thought this was an LFG plataform Anyways,I'm on a "mobile and poor" situation,so does that mean I can't play at all?
1572356863
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Roll20 can run on some mobile devices, but the ability to do so requires a subscription. There is an app, but it is only for handling character sheets and dice rolling, it's not meant for map access. The games are hosted and run on this site, but many people use third party programs such as Discord or Skype to handle audio/video, since they are dedicated to that purpose and less prone to failure. Many people handle communication with the built in text chat. There is an extensive LFG system built in to Roll20, but it would be better for someone else to chime in about that; I've never used it. Roll20 is basically a virtual table top. You host maps, tokens, character sheets and other assets, and players interact on the maps and roll dice in real time. For an overview, check out Roll20's Youtube channel or just search Youtube for "Roll20 intro". And lastly, you don't need to subscribe in order to play. Subscription just unlocks better tools and more storage.