Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Improve the spells prepared on 5e OGL sheet

Score + 170
I play a high-level cleric, and counting dots is the bane of my existence...  please implement.
+1. I would love to see a simple change implemented first that just counts the number of selected dots. There are then ways to make that work with domain / always prepared spells. Put in the counter, and then put in the rest of the changes afterwards. Release early, get feedback, and iterate.
Why not use different Icons instead of colors? right now you have the circles that can be clicked and filled red this way... however if you replace those with Icons that change on click (e.g. click once -> circle red, click twice -> it changes to a crown (or something else))? Nic B. said: Hey folks, I just wanted to update here and let you know that this is now a topic of conversation that we're having internally. This probably seems like a simple change that would make (at time of writing) 59 folks a little happier with the service, and so should be an easy win, so I wanted to explain why there will be a researching phase for this suggestion. I completely agree with your desire to see improved functionality here, this is a pain point that I have with my own games, and something that we don't currently support particularly well. However, I don't think it is as simple as offering additional colors. One of the things that we should be striving for, as an organization, is to make our user experiences as accessible as possible to as many people. Using multiple colors to communicate different states potentially leaves anyone with color vision deficiency out in the cold, and I think we should do better than that. So, I want to be sure that we've researched a solution that reaches as many people as possible. To do that, we'll need your help. I can't promise that we can do everything, but right now it seems like the sorts of things that people want from this functionality are: A tally of prepared spells (would this be best as a per spell level total, a complete total, or both?) A way of indicating domain spells (or other non-tallied spells) which would be excluded from the total and be visually distinct from other spells A way of indicating spells from different classes when multiclassing A way of indicating spells with other origins (i.e. feats, class abilities, items etc.) A way of indicating spells that should be ignored by the charactermancer when leveling up. Does this seem like a fair summation of this thread? Are there other cases that I've missed? Many thanks for your patience to this point. I will watch this thread for additional comments!
+1

Edited 1681145912
+1 to this. >"However, I don't think it is as simple as offering additional colors." I would like to echo the sentiment that different shapes, letter symbols like P and K, or colors with other different values (other than hue) could move beyond this. >"A tally of prepared spells (would this be best as a per spell level total, a complete total, or both?)" Complete total, a single counter. If absolutely necessary, then add a tooltip that shows the tally per level when you hover over the prepared counter. >"A way of indicating domain spells (or other non-tallied spells) which would be excluded from the total and be visually distinct from other spells" While some have suggested something like a "Square", I would prefer a more distinct symbol that communicates clear intent. So I'm fond of the following symbols: - A crown symbol - An "A" symbol (always prepared) - An "X" symbol (special in some way) A piece of feedback missing as well is the difference between "Known" and "Prepared", so I'd also be happy with separate counters for these as well. I could see "K" and "P" symbols for these on the radio buttons. If going with text-based characters, then I'd suggest: - "K" for known - "P" for prepared - "S" for special >"A way of indicating spells from different classes when multiclassing" I'm not extremely concerned with this one. Different spell tabs for each class? A sub-tab system within Spells to separate classes? The OGL sheets already have a way to mark which class a spell belongs to, with the text boxes in each spell's edit widget, but they're not used for anything outside of the charactermancer, so simply having the ability to filter spells might be all you need? Whether that's some buttons at the top a la the Shaped sheets or the new Features & Traits UI which will simply hide the ones that don't match the class filter, or some other categorization. And if going with the new filtering UI, I could see retooling the "Class" and "Type" boxes under each spell with dropdown options that interact with the same sort of filtering that Features & Traits uses. Do that, instead of plain text. So I'd suggest the following: Class: - Dropdowns for each class, as normal - Dropdown for "custom", which gives you a textbox to type a custom name. Alternatively, this just lets you select whatever your current custom class name(s) is(are). In strict hypothesis, you might have a spell from a custom class that you aren't multiclassed into (e.g. Magic Initiate), so I'd prefer just "Custom" being the option for plain text. Type: - "Known", for known spells. - "Prepared", for prepared spells. - "Feat", for feat spells. - "Boon", for boon spells. - "Item", for item spells (staff, wand, scroll). - "Other", for anything else we might not have thought of, or that might be part of somebody's homebrew system not represented here. Maybe this, too, becomes a plain text box, and every custom name not-already-in-use then adds to the list of things you can filter for. >"A way of indicating spells with other origins (i.e. feats, class abilities, items etc.)" Simply having a way to count "prepared" spells and then exclude others via pretty much any symbolic system that's visible would suffice. So the "innate" box is a pretty good way to adding text that's not in the spell's name, to differentiate them. Maybe just giving the Innate box a different name and/or changing the hint text to suggest multiple different usages at once might be good (instead of only 1, as now). If Innate retains its current purpose, then I would avoid using it as the way to automatically exclude the spell from being prepared. In strict hypothesis, you could have a spell that you can cast 1/day but not with spell slots, but you could also have to prepare it to cast it more often (and can still cast it innately). Plus, with versatility in its usage, you might even just write charges or consumable item quantities. Whatever solution is used, you'll want to avoid creating a problem like: "I prepare Magic Missile but I also have a Wand of Magic Missiles and can't find a way to combine these markers without duplicating the spell". My Armorer Artificer, if he had that wand, would have it as an Artificer spell, but always have it prepared, and would also be able to expend charges on his wand to cast it. >"A way of indicating spells that should be ignored by the charactermancer when leveling up." I've not encountered many particular issues with this one, and have no comments to offer. I play a TCE artificer and so have to do everything custom on my free account. I just know that typing in the class name under each spell will tell the charactermancer which ones to look at.
Hi Nic - How's the internal convo going? For me just this one change (which seems simple) would be a big improvement for mid-high level casters trying to manage their prepared spells: A tally of prepared spells (would this be best as a per spell level total, a complete total, or both?) Nic B. said: Hey folks, I just wanted to update here and let you know that this is now a topic of conversation that we're having internally. This probably seems like a simple change that would make (at time of writing) 59 folks a little happier with the service, and so should be an easy win, so I wanted to explain why there will be a researching phase for this suggestion. I completely agree with your desire to see improved functionality here, this is a pain point that I have with my own games, and something that we don't currently support particularly well. However, I don't think it is as simple as offering additional colors. One of the things that we should be striving for, as an organization, is to make our user experiences as accessible as possible to as many people. Using multiple colors to communicate different states potentially leaves anyone with color vision deficiency out in the cold, and I think we should do better than that. So, I want to be sure that we've researched a solution that reaches as many people as possible. To do that, we'll need your help. I can't promise that we can do everything, but right now it seems like the sorts of things that people want from this functionality are: A tally of prepared spells (would this be best as a per spell level total, a complete total, or both?) A way of indicating domain spells (or other non-tallied spells) which would be excluded from the total and be visually distinct from other spells A way of indicating spells from different classes when multiclassing A way of indicating spells with other origins (i.e. feats, class abilities, items etc.) A way of indicating spells that should be ignored by the charactermancer when leveling up. Does this seem like a fair summation of this thread? Are there other cases that I've missed? Many thanks for your patience to this point. I will watch this thread for additional comments!