Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dungeon of the Mad Mage on Roll20 - Speed Problems

I'm planning to extend my campaign by running Dungeon of the Mad Mage. I also thought it would be cool to upgrade my account (I've typically used the basic level) to check out dynamic lighting.  I've noticed that even when I am loggin in alone setting things up this game handles a lot slower than my previous game (with Storm King's Thunder module). If I turn on Advanced Fog of War it becomes unusable. I'm hoping things don't slow down much more when I have my players logged on, but I'm worried about our newly-launched campaign exploding on the launchpad. I assume this slowness I'm experiencing comes from the generally much larger maps, as well as the addition of dynamic lighting. Is there anything I can do to mitigate this? I want my game to run smoothly.  Can dynamic lighting be turned off? (I'd rather not do this right away as I want to try it out and I paid for it. I'd like my PC's to at least have it working, if not the vision of all the tokens that comes partially set up [for some reason they have light according to their darkvision, but sight is turned off]) Are there any options/setting that can help me? Thanks for any help!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Dynamic lighting can be turned off. But I think you'd have a more enjoyable experience by leaving DL on and dropping AFoW. I use light crumbs in its place. If you would like to try AFoW anyway, make sure that if AFoW is turned ON, Global Illumination is turned OFF. That combo is a performance killer, particularly on large and complicated maps.
Thanks, keithcurtis. The trouble is that yes, I'd like to use AFoW, but I already see that as out of consideration since it slows the game down with just me in it to the point where I can't even really move tokens.  Now I'm trying to find the best way to play a smooth campaign, with dynamic lighting if possible. I'm wondering if light crumbs would actually make things worse, although they do seem like a possible measure towards AFoW.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
My computer is not a blazer, and I've never had a speed issue with DL and light crumbs, even with more than a dozen of them on the VTT.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
When I jumped into someone's game to look at DotMM with AFoW and DL, we found that the speed improved significantly if they turned off Global Illumination on the map and used individual light sources instead. My understanding of the reason for this is that having Global Illumination on overrides the token's Reveal Distance to cover the entire map. Scanning the entire map with their AFoW v2 algorithm is prohibitively expensive. Turning off Global Illumination causes only the squares within a token's Reveal Distance to be checked.
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I play Mad Mage with DL on, AFoW off. Light crumbs actually has caused stability/speed problems with some of my players. My specific solution for Mad Mage is to create a "minimap" for each page; a copy of that page with all tokens/drawings/DL removed and Fog of War turned on. When the players want to get an idea of the full level, I can pull up the minimap and reveal the specific areas. But my players have terrible connections.