Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macro help: Whispering Spell descriptions

Full disclosure: I posted this on the Roll20 subreddit several weeks ago and wasn't able to find the fix I'm looking for: Hi all, this feels like an easy question, but I can't for the life of me figure out what the answer is. I'm new to this kind of stuff and I mostly copy and paste macros that I find online (thanks to all of you generous people who make and share them!) then I'll tweak them from there. My latest venture has been to have NPC spell descriptions easily accessible in chat. This beauty has worked wonders: /w gm [@{repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spellname}](~selected|repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spell) ^And of course, add more lines for more spells. However, I can't figure out how to whisper the actual spell description. The original macro that lists the spells whispers appropriately, but when I click on "minor illusion" or "firebolt" the spell description pops into chat unwhispered. How can I make sure the spell description is not visible to my players? I've attempted various hacks, to no avail: /w gm [@{repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spellname}](~/w gm @{selected|repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spell}) /w gm [@{repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spellname}](/w gm ~selected|repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spell) /w gm [@{repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spellname}](~[/w gm selected|repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spell]) and a myriad of other syntactical adjustments yield no results. It seems that any way I try to insert /w gm the whole macro goes wonky. As a summary, the original macro works perfectly EXCEPT that I'm trying to have the spell description whisper when I click on the the spell's name in chat. I just want to be able to peruse potential spell descriptions quickly without my players seeing them. I feel that it's most likely my failure to grasp the order of operations. I'd appreciate any assistance or feedback. Thanks so much everyone!
where the  {repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spellname} is at, the macro in that area needs to start with /w gm If that is on a specific PC sheet, might not want that.... but if it is on a NPC or Monster / mook sheet.should work fine Easily added I personally don't like the (~selected|.... part, but that's to each his own.. I would rather call to the sheet I am getting the spell from (~Bob|...
Thanks for the reply, though I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I've added /w gm in every place that I could in an effort to follow your advice, but none of the following work: /w gm [@{ /w gm repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spellname}](~selected|repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spell) /w gm [@{{ /w gm }repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spellname}](~selected|repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spell) [ /w gm @{repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spellname}](~selected|repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spell) I receive syntactical errors with all of these. Could I have some clarification? Thanks! Btw, this is for NPCs, not PC sheet. 
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The ways you've tried won't work. This code: selected|repeating_spell-cantrip_$0_spell refers to a specific button on the character sheet. That button triggers a macro. Its that  macro that needs to have the /w gm at the start of it. Unfortunately the sheet needs to support that. Some character sheets have the option of adding /w gm either individually or to all buttons as a global setting, for that sheet. Look for something like that. Alternatively, you need to copy the button macros into abilities or universal macros, and add /w gm to the start of them manually, and have your description macro call those.
Thanks, GIGs, that makes sense. I'm using 5e OGL and was able to change that setting on the NPC character sheet. I'm now whispering the spell descriptions from the sheet. It's working perfectly now. Thanks so much!
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thats great!