Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×

Is there a way to have GM Layer tokens open a specific part of a journal entry? Or have GM Notes links work?

1576764204

Edited 1576764382
Hi guys, I'm running Dungeon of the Mad Mage in person for my group - it has been great to have the map on hand in the centre of the table with line of sight for the party to explore, but I'm finding I'm getting caught with the amount of content and detail in this megadungeon crawl. There are numbered tokens to indicate the details of the room (which is contained in a long single journal entry with all the dungeon level's stuff, the links  open up statblocks etc which is great but more on that in a moment) Unfortunately the Mad Mage module doesn't label these tokens beyond their number. So the process is - party chooses a direction - I figure out which room they're headed towards, have journla entry open, scroll to find number - it's just a little awkward I need that info way handier because it's a megadungeon there's just SO Much info - too much to memorise. What I need is a way to just click the token and bring up that section of the journal entry, or even hover over it would work as a tooltip. I've got a roundabout way of doing this - I'm entering all the names of the rooms onto the tokens and displaying them as a nameplate which even that simple level of info helps SO MUCH for triggering memory of what is actually in the room.  I'm also copy pasting the journal entry into the GM Notes section of the token which works great, I can double click the token and have the info! However because it's an edit-text-area field the links present don't seem to work (open in new tab doesn't work). I'm going through and adding notes to all the rooms as text on the map too in short hand but again, too much info to splay out everywhere. Any pro suggestions for how to handle this in Roll20? Thank you :)
I just figured out how to alt-double click a token to bring up it's stat block from the map which is awesome :) Would love to be able to do the same for these room identifiers if possible.
1576772463

Edited 1576772473
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It does not look like handouts contain anchor tags for headers like compendium entries do. So I don't think you can find a URL that would skip to a specific part. If you have a multiple monitor setup, I would suggest keeping the handout open in its own window, and just using the browser's Find function to skip to the part of the text you are looking for. You can also keep the handout open but minimized (double-click on the title bar), if screen real estate is an issue. The GMNotes script should pass links along with the rest of the text, if I understood that part correctly