Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Video/sound should not be on by default

I searched the forum for a similar topic, and couldn't find one... so please excuse me if this is a repeated concern. I've had several players join Roll20 games and were unaware that the video/sound recording were on. I'm not sure if this is because they ignored warnings generated by the browser, or the messaging on their browser was insufficient. Regardless, I think this should be an opt-in feature. We've had some awkward moments where they leave the Roll20 tab open and they were broadcasting, accidentally.  IMO, sufficient fixes would be  1) default this to be off, or 2) allow a DM control of the default for their games
I 100% agree that this shouldn't be on by default. It should be offered as a prompt to turn it on when logging in or if a mic is detected, but never on by default. I had no idea that this was the case and have just now turned that setting off.  Allowing a DM to control it would be a great idea as well!
I agree, i spend the first few min with all my players teaching them to disable it. May also cut down on bandwidth issues with the servers.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can add your votes to this suggestion . I feel that this is a privacy issue that should be addressed.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
And to directly address your concerns, a DM (or rather the creator of a game) can turn A/V chat technology completely off for their game. It's under the settings, here:
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
keithcurtis said: And to directly address your concerns, a DM (or rather the creator of a game) can turn A/V chat technology completely off for their game. It's under the settings, here: I do that every time I create a new game, but it really would be nice if "None" was the default.  Thanks for linking that suggestion.  I didn't have a vote free when it was posted, but I got one back recently and it needed a place to go.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Every now and then, if I see a suggestion I really feel needs a boost, I'll take one of mine off something that already has hundreds, or I know to be at some level of development. For anyone following this thread looking for immediate solutions: You can also tell Roll20 not to use your camera or mic at the browser level, but then that would apply across all of Roll20. There may be some games where you want A/V and some where you don't. When joining a game for the first time, it would be nice to be asked.