Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Are Dice Important???

Hey Roll20 Players and DMs, I have been working hard for quite some time at my system that's got a lot of what I (and my players) are looking for.   My struggle that I'm trying to hash out is the idea of dice.  From one point of view, they are the biggest annoyance and point of frustration to many players.  From the other, it's nice to have some physical action that the player takes during their round.  Dice add a level of interaction, other than just reading numbers from a sheet. My system is self sufficient without the dice and adding them doesn't inflate the numbers too much, it just gives a way to boost a check's result.  I'm interested in thoughts on this topic as I get ready for some public games that I plan to post this week. Thanks, Tony (GM and API Developer)
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
The Roll20 forums are meant to mainly discuss how to use Roll20 to play games and how to use it to do what you want in your games, and not as much to general talk about RPGs that isn't directly related to Roll20 itself. This is stated in the Community CoC .  Places like /r/RPGDesign would be more conducive to this type of discussion. That being said, diceless RPGs isn't something that fits me personally. There need to be some bit of randomness, preferably dice, involved for me.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Is this a specifically Roll20-oriented question? I.e. are you looking for a way to replace how dice are used on roll20 or in general? If the latter, this is a topic best discussed on a site dedicated to general gaming. Roll20 keeps a pretty tight handle on what they consider on-topic.
Ok, sorry.  There wasn't a clear wizard or topic identifier.  I was just looking to include the community.  I'll take this elsewhere.  Thank you.