We use Cookies to help personalize and improve Roll20. For more information on our use of non-essential Cookies, visit our Privacy Policy here.
Accept
Advertisement Create a free account

Zoom Tool Update Bug Thread

1579630617

Edited 1580234379
Juniper L.
Roll20 Team
Greetings! This morning we pushed code with some exciting changes! Zoom Tool Update: The Pan-Scroll Continuum There are some quality of life improvements to zooming and panning on the VTT as of today: Control your default zoom settings at the game level (Settings wheel) or at the account level ( My Account ), so you can switch between “Scroll to Pan” and “Scroll to Zoom” functionality. Secondary click (which may be right click, two-finger click, or something else depending on your operating system) will pan. We’ve also increased support for laptop users, for example Apple Trackpad users can now drag two fingers to pan. While we were at it, we went under the hood to make panning smoother and more responsive. New + / - slider that displays your zoom level and allows you to adjust either by pressing the button or dragging the slider. You can even collapse it for more screen space! Keyboard shortcuts with + or - buttons can be used to zoom in or out. Contextual menus that also use these keyboard shortcuts (like token markers) will NOT affect your zoom. We’ve added the “Ctrl” key as an alternative (how ironic!) to the “Alt” key for pan and zoom functions. Those of you whose browsers (hello, Firefox) want the Alt key all to themselves now have access to a reliable secondary key. How to Set the Zoom Behavior in a Game You can now set your game to either zoom or pan when you move the scrollwheel. In the game settings tab (the gear icon), select either Pan or Zoom. This setting is kept when you refresh or rejoin the game. How to Set My Default Zoom Behavior You can also set up a default for your account. If you like the Zoom as default, go to the  My Account  page and scroll down to Preferences. You can set your default behavior there. Note: If you've set the zoom behavior in a game, it overrides the default you set in your profile. We'd Love to Hear From You If you have feedback on the Zoom tool, or find a bug, please post it here in the official bug thread! Update: January 28, 2020 The ALT-E issue (token rotating off-screen) has been resolved . Thanks!
1579632404
I don't know how much I'm going to use the new features from this update as I'm already quite happy with things as they stand. But let me just say, I really appreciate that you guys are giving us the option to keep the zoom tool the way it was if we want to, lots of changes that get an initial negative reaction will become a forced change a short time later with no chance for compromise on it. I respect that roll20 is willing to keep the old system along with your new one.
1579633301
There's a bug in the new zoom tool which stops dead the panning as soon as you release the mouse. Under the old tool I could 'throw' the focus and it would skid slightly, wherein if i held the right button and then dragged the mouse slightly letting go of the right button would not instantly stop the focus, but allow it to 'drift' slightly further, quite an entertaining idea. Now the new zoom tool just stops it dead, as if someone doesn't realise how much more useful the original zoom was and thought they would simply screw over everybody who found zero issues with the zoom tool.
1579633773
Robin
Plus
It works much better than the previous version of this update on mac. One big annoyance though: the horizontal pan to scroll is inverted. When I try to pan left (by sliding my fingers to the left on the trackpad) it moves the page to the right and vice versa. Vertical scroll works correctly. This is very unintuitive, since its the polar opposite to how it works anywhere else on a mac. I'd really appreciate it if that issue can be resolved.
1579633796
Rainy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Phill said: There's a bug in the new zoom tool which stops dead the panning as soon as you release the mouse. Under the old tool I could 'throw' the focus and it would skid slightly, wherein if i held the right button and then dragged the mouse slightly letting go of the right button would not instantly stop the focus, but allow it to 'drift' slightly further, quite an entertaining idea. Now the new zoom tool just stops it dead, as if someone doesn't realise how much more useful the original zoom was and thought they would simply screw over everybody who found zero issues with the zoom tool. Not to say you're not having this issue, but I still have panning functionality the same as before, so that's definitely an outlier and not a design choice, because I still get the drifting panning like before.
1579634014

Edited 1579634564
Robin said: It works much better than the previous version of this update on mac. One big annoyance though: the horizontal pan to scroll is inverted. When I try to pan left (by sliding my fingers to the left on the trackpad) it moves the page to the right and vice versa. Vertical scroll works correctly. This is very unintuitive, since its the polar opposite to how it works anywhere else on a mac. I'd really appreciate it if that issue can be resolved. Yes, I'm experiencing this as well. EDIT: I'm also using a trackpad.
1579634338
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I prefer the stop dead. I'd like to be the one to decide where to stop. It's one of the features I turn off for new installs of Adobe products, for instance. I also really appreciate that the map no longer starts to pan once you reach maximum zoom. I can live with this. :)
1579634408
Drespar
Roll20 Team
For folks running into the inversion issue: Are you using a trackpad? There is a known issue right now causing this inverted response on some trackpads. We’re currently working on a fix that we will push live ASAP!
1579634561

Edited 1579635069
Robin
Plus
@Drespar Yes, I'm using the trackpad on a macbook, panning with two fingers, no clicking, no pushed buttons. Used to work like a charm, now its very disorienting. (Edit: The momentum of scrolling Phill mentioned is working fine for me, by the way)
The complicated Shift/Ctrl/Alt/zoom stuff doesn't work, other than (sometimes) allowing a lurching pan. The -/+ and 3 slide bars seem ok at least. I'm using Surface Pro 6 with trackpad and Windows 10. My basic Samsung phone (yes, I know you don't like phones) seems ok, although without the extra stuff. Thank you.
1579636258
Juniper L.
Roll20 Team
Robin, Marcus, Anyone else: We just pushed out code that should fix the horizontal inversion issue for trackpad users.
Cool. I'm not sure who asked for it though. But ok. It's nice to have options.  Hope it didn't take time away from any more pressing updates like being able to transfer folders of Sheets between games. ^^
Is there a way to zoom in on the cursor location? Also can we have it remember the zoom level and location for each map? That would be extremely useful.
1579636951
Robin
Plus
@Juniper Fantastic, this is much better. Thanks for the super fast response and fix, much appreciated!
1579639428

Edited 1579640325
Zoom level 20% now looks fantastic with large maps.  They never used to fit right.  Now, a 4200 x 2800 map fits exactly in the window. Excerpt from Seven Days at Ranger Fort by Lighthouse Keeper Games.
1579639885
Ravenknight
KS Backer
Fantastic improvement over the last release. Good work! I'm especially grateful that you left the scroll-bars.
1579640647

Edited 1579641113
Definently better, though a question which might help you improve further if you've not thought about it; While in Pan mode if I am holding down shift to draw a snap-to-grid box with the draw tool, how do I scroll vertically? It seems like Zoom mode has a consideration for the opposite so it's fine, though pan mode overlooks this functionality as far as I can tell. Edit: Actually no, it instead zooms. Seems like the context of shift gets taken by the draw tool while the zoom tool uses the alt only in such an interaction. Plus there's also the issue that of course this draws a circle not a square. I do like to add a snapped to grid square-drawn square (transparent:black) border to my interior maps, while there wasn't really a good way to draw horizontally before. It'd be nice to be able to both without needing to fiddle about with my zoom.
Hey there is a bit of a problem with the vampire the masquerade sheets, the merits and flaws as well as a few skills are messed up 
1579652232

Edited 1579652578
Fuzzy
Plus
Absolutely dislike the new click and pan. It used to have this smooth throwable, easy on the eye motion. Not it just stops dead the moment you let go of the mouse. It's ugly, jarring, and makes the whole thing look really rigid and stiff. The old method when I could hold right mouse button, 'throw' it slightly, and see my map smoothly transition was lovely. It made R20 feel well crafted, not stuttery. Can we please have an option for smooth pan back again or a fix for this stop dead bug if it is one? It was so much better than this before. It's incredibly distracting, and somewhat eye straining.
1579652322

Edited 1579652389
How do I turn it off? I use Discord's push to talk with the Numpads + button and it just Zooms in. I don't like it.
1579653369
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Instructions on how to choose your mouse control options (including making it just like it was before the update) are in the top post.
1579653969

Edited 1579654160
When panning the window moves faster than the amount dragged. Basically the delta of the mouse position does not match the delta of the rendering offset when dragging. This effect is so pronounced that it would be better to just disable this entirely and rely on the in browser scrolling. When changing zoom levels the rendering offset of the map flickers up and to the left for a quarter of a second producing a jarring effect. Maps don't have enough scrollable margins around the outside. There is an ongoing issue of not being able to see maps that are obscured by player avatars and cameras no matter how you position them. The only reliable way to get around this is to make margins manually and assume that the outside tiles will be left empty.
1579654625
Where does it say turn off? The only option I have is Pan or Zoom. Zoom let's me use the + button on Push to Talk but then I can't use my scroll. I like using my scroll and my + button and I was perfectly happy with the old way.
1579655182
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ah, I see your issue. I have never used that shortcut for either, so I wasn't aware anything had changed.
1579659254
Fuzzy
Plus
keithcurtis said: Instructions on how to choose your mouse control options (including making it just like it was before the update) are in the top post. Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any option to turn off the sharp pan to return it to the smoother state it used to be in. Uncertain if it's a bug (they didn't announcec anything about it after all) or a very odd change. Zoom itself feels very janky too now, possibly related.
1579661421
Hawke
Plus
Zoom doesnt matter at all, do whatever you want to accommodate ipads However, stop screwing with the panning.  This high delta accelerated scroll feels terrible, I get nauseous just trying to position my map and look around accurately. At least make it an option for the 3 of us still using actual computers to play.
1579663400
Much better than before, but I would like the option to have the zooming in and out center on my mouse.
1579664992
Also if it remembered whether I had the slider condensed or not
For the love of all that is good, get rid of the giant + and - buttons and the big distracting percentage. For all the issues with the old zoom, at least the slider wasn't super distracting and ugly.
1579686128
Kurdy
Plus
Would really appreciate the old panning functionality with it gliding after the pan, currently feels extremely rigid and like a regression in the overall feel of the app.
1579690213

Edited 1579695502
I do agree with the people complaining about the panning. It was much nicer and smooth before, the way you could "throw" the mouse, and not stopping dead as it is now. For the zoom, I do like the new slider with the % and the +/- buttons, but when expanded it's a bit large and eye catching, not so much when collapsed. Maybe it could be made to fade out sligthly when the mouse is not over it? And minor zoom suggestion, when you click on the slider bar it can lead you to leves such as 147%, and clicking the buttons will change that by 10. Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer if doing that would first round the number to 0, so in this case 150% with a + and 140% with a -, not 157% and 137%.
1579697783
Jan L.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Much better. The screen still jumps around a little when zooming. 
Jan L. said: Much better. The screen still jumps around a little when zooming.  I concur, same thing happened to me quite a bit last night. It would also get stuck zoomed all the way out and the map would dissapear until I zoomed back in.  I do like that I can zoom in a lot further. 
1579715551
Hoot
Pro
Jan L. said: Much better. The screen still jumps around a little when zooming.  agree. zoom is a little jumpy but better. My biggest grip remains the focus does not remain on the cursor. One wish is that the state of the slider would persist to user preference. That is, I have to collapse the slider every time I enter game. I would prefer if the state I set it in last game would persist.  Pan works much better. Overall, this is more usable than before; I will use it.  
1579720333
Nicholas
Roll20 Team
Hey all - For anyone who is experiencing problems with a character sheet, would you mind providing some additional information below, please? Thank you! How exactly is this issue occurring? Are you seeing this when you zoom-in on the character sheet? Can you further describe what happens to the sheet when the problems appear? If you can provide a screenshot of what you are seeing, it's greatly appreciated. What is the exact name of the character sheet you are using and how did you install it (dropdown, raw code, etc.)? What device are you using (Microsoft Surface Laptop, Desktop, iPad) and what operating system does it run? Lastly, what browser and browser version are you using? 
1579722465
Regarding the "hard landing" verses "soft stop" implementation, I think there are two kinds of people in the world now.  On one hand are those who prefer the soft landing.  On the other hand are those of us who grew up playing DOS games.  :p BTW, Don't forget, some changes made during an update are necessary, not a choice, to get the thing running (anyone who has done any programming knows what I mean.)  So, we shouldn't assume that it was done to take away something on purpose.  Instead, if you care about the soft stop, you could put up a request in the Suggestions & Ideas forum.
1579725627
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Rick R. said: Regarding the "hard landing" verses "soft stop" implementation, I think there are two kinds of people in the world now.  On one hand are those who prefer the soft landing.  On the other hand are those of us who grew up playing DOS games.  :p BTW, Don't forget, some changes made during an update are necessary, not a choice, to get the thing running (anyone who has done any programming knows what I mean.)  So, we shouldn't assume that it was done to take away something on purpose.  Instead, if you care about the soft stop, you could put up a request in the Suggestions & Ideas forum. It's not your place to tell people to use the suggestion forum. This is specifically the bug report post for this feature, so if people are finding the performance and behaviour lacking, this is exactly  the place to post their comments. We dont have to accept changes made to get the thing running, especially if we were happy with the prior behaviour.
1579734776

Edited 1579734924
Vince
Pro
Sheet Author
Nicholas said: Hey all - For anyone who is experiencing problems with a character sheet, would you mind providing some additional information below, please? Thank you! How exactly is this issue occurring? Are you seeing this when you zoom-in on the character sheet? Can you further describe what happens to the sheet when the problems appear? If you can provide a screenshot of what you are seeing, it's greatly appreciated. What is the exact name of the character sheet you are using and how did you install it (dropdown, raw code, etc.)? What device are you using (Microsoft Surface Laptop, Desktop, iPad) and what operating system does it run? Lastly, what browser and browser version are you using?&nbsp; Not sure if this is a side effect of the new zoom feature but, ALT+m.wheel zooming on a sheet also vertically scrolls the sheet. example;&nbsp; <a href="https://imgur.com/a/AUW1zgg" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/a/AUW1zgg</a> &nbsp;&nbsp;I believe that zoom should focus on the cursor's position.&nbsp; win10, desktop, chrome(80.0.3987.66), forbidden lands sheet, but I think this happens regardless of the sheet.
1579736091
Nicholas
Roll20 Team
Hey there everyone - Regarding the panning smoothness: We’ve had mixed feedback on it - some love the new crispness, others miss the old drift. We’re not actively planning changes yet, but we’d love to hear how you used the tool and what you liked about it. We openly invite and would really appreciate you sending us an email to <a href="mailto:Team@Roll20.net" rel="nofollow">Team@Roll20.net</a> with your thoughts and opinions on the matter. Understanding your wants, needs, and expectations always helps us in making an experience the best it can be! :)
1579739982
GiGs said: It's not your place to tell people to use the suggestion forum. This is specifically the bug report post for this feature, so if people are finding the performance and behaviour lacking, this is exactly &nbsp;the place to post their comments. We dont have to accept changes made to get the thing running, especially if we were happy with the prior behaviour. I think you misunderstand me.&nbsp; I wasn't telling people not to put their comments in this post.
1579766825

Edited 1579767422
Rick R. said: I think you misunderstand me.&nbsp; I wasn't telling people not to put their comments in this post. Yeah, but you started the sentence with "instead," so...
So, the first thing I'll say is that I wasn't aware you could use a right mouse to pan.&nbsp; Meaning I can't compare the old way with the current, but stopping when I stop certainly isn't bothering me.&nbsp; (And I'm on a "real computer" so that's got nothing to do with it.)&nbsp; But, making these changes and posting about it made me aware this existed, so I'm really happy about that. Being able to use the scroll button for zooming is pretty cool. (By the way, I'm on Firefox and the Alt does work for this. :-))&nbsp; I don't know if there was another "old" way to do it, but I always used scroll zoom, but hated it cause it seemed very out of control.&nbsp; I have noticed using the wheel goes in smaller increments than the +/- buttons. I can just minimize that thing now and maybe only use it if I want to do some big jumps. I ended up setting my scroll button to zoom cause I don't think I ever used it to move horizontally anyway, but it keeps me from having to hold the Alt down.&nbsp; The only thing I would say is that all of it is jerky movements, but I think it always has been. But I've got two things now I can do that I didn't used to (even if only due to my ignorance), and I'm happy with that.&nbsp; Smoothing it out would be nice, but imo I don't see anything worse than it was.
1579791623
Ahh.. yes, Katala, you are right.&nbsp; I should have used something like "in addition to" and not "instead of."&nbsp; It was never my intention to shut anyone else down on this post.&nbsp; They want our feedback. Also, I probably confused things by putting two ideas together.&nbsp; My first point was an attempt at humor-- the difference between the soft landing and hard landing is a flame-war as old as Mac vs PC.&nbsp; Personally, I don't care either way but am always interested in seeing how other people do have a passionate opinion.&nbsp; My second point was that many people (especially newbies) maybe don't realize how the developers here really do consider and use the Suggestions board.&nbsp; When big corporate developers (like nearly every video game company) change a game or franchise too much, we just walk away.&nbsp; Here, they listen to you. Katala said: Yeah, but you started the sentence with "instead," so...
1579798637
Nicholas
Roll20 Team
Vince said: Nicholas said: Hey all - For anyone who is experiencing problems with a character sheet, would you mind providing some additional information below, please? Thank you! How exactly is this issue occurring? Are you seeing this when you zoom-in on the character sheet? Can you further describe what happens to the sheet when the problems appear? If you can provide a screenshot of what you are seeing, it's greatly appreciated. What is the exact name of the character sheet you are using and how did you install it (dropdown, raw code, etc.)? What device are you using (Microsoft Surface Laptop, Desktop, iPad) and what operating system does it run? Lastly, what browser and browser version are you using?&nbsp; Not sure if this is a side effect of the new zoom feature but, ALT+m.wheel zooming on a sheet also vertically scrolls the sheet. example;&nbsp; <a href="https://imgur.com/a/AUW1zgg" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/a/AUW1zgg</a> &nbsp;&nbsp;I believe that zoom should focus on the cursor's position.&nbsp; win10, desktop, chrome(80.0.3987.66), forbidden lands sheet, but I think this happens regardless of the sheet. Heya Vince -&nbsp; Great catch - thanks for pointing that out! It looks like we lost our horizontal navigation there as well. I've made a ticket with dev to fix this and we'll get it addressed as soon as we can! :)
Definitely better than the first attempt. The only suggestion/improvement that comes to mind now is I wish I could type in a value for the zoom level. Currently, clicking on the number expands/collapses the bar. Maybe double-clicking it could turn it into a textbox that lets you set the zoom level?
Nicholas said: Vince said: Nicholas said: Hey all - For anyone who is experiencing problems with a character sheet, would you mind providing some additional information below, please? Thank you! How exactly is this issue occurring? Are you seeing this when you zoom-in on the character sheet? Can you further describe what happens to the sheet when the problems appear? If you can provide a screenshot of what you are seeing, it's greatly appreciated. What is the exact name of the character sheet you are using and how did you install it (dropdown, raw code, etc.)? What device are you using (Microsoft Surface Laptop, Desktop, iPad) and what operating system does it run? Lastly, what browser and browser version are you using?&nbsp; Not sure if this is a side effect of the new zoom feature but, ALT+m.wheel zooming on a sheet also vertically scrolls the sheet. example;&nbsp; <a href="https://imgur.com/a/AUW1zgg" rel="nofollow">https://imgur.com/a/AUW1zgg</a> &nbsp;&nbsp;I believe that zoom should focus on the cursor's position.&nbsp; win10, desktop, chrome(80.0.3987.66), forbidden lands sheet, but I think this happens regardless of the sheet. Heya Vince -&nbsp; Great catch - thanks for pointing that out! It looks like we lost our horizontal navigation there as well. I've made a ticket with dev to fix this and we'll get it addressed as soon as we can! :) Since I was ignored the first time: Put in a dev ticket to give an option to turn off the ugly and super distracting +- and percentage stuff. I don't want that stuff on my screen. At least let me hide the percentage numbers.
1579889050
Nicholas
Roll20 Team
Hey Phil, Our major focus within this thread is to review and fix any bugs that come up. What you have pointed out is technically a feature change request and as such has a different process for review. I have gone ahead and submitted the request to our development team so they are aware of the desire for change here!
1579902182

Edited 1579902862
I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but ever since the update, holding down "E" and spinning the mouse wheel only rotates tokens / map objects clockwise as opposed to counterclockwise / clockwise with down / up on the mouse wheel. Is it just me having this trouble? It's a small issue, but it's somewhat annoying since I use that specific rotating shortcut pretty frequently when making maps, and especially when using dynamic lighting vision cones on tokens! Even weirder, it only happens on a firefox browser, not a chrome browser. EDIT: Since it was mentioned earlier above, I'd also like to draw attention to some performance issues on chrome as well, there's some definite input lag there when moving tokens/etc that isn't present on firefox browsers.
1579975214
How can you do the old right click action now for selecting rollable tokens?