Hi Rena, Welcome to a great hobby ! The beauty of Roll20 is, of course, that you can play from the comfort of your home with players from all over. I turned to this platform for the same reason; my gaming group was spread out and we had given up on playing until I stumbled across this. To answer your question about where to begin, it really depends on you- RPGs cover many different genres. It sounds as if you're interested in fantasy, and D&D is an excellent choice for that. In order to streamline things when you do find a group, take some time to think about possible characters you might want to play. If you've read any fantasy novels, there will probably be characters that you identify with. Don't worry about playing a character to suit the needs of the party; you want to enjoy yourself. I've played D&D for almost 30 years, across its many editions, as player and DM. I can definitely say that it's great when players know at least the basics of gameplay. First and foremost: know how your character works . Once you've decided what you want to be, familiarize yourself with that race and class. Then, learn how combat works. If you're playing a magic-user, learn how spells work. That's it ! A good DM will take care of the rest. You can buy the Player's Handbook, or find it somewhere online I'm sure. Read as much of it as you want, but like I said, as long as you know the ins and outs of your character and how combat/ magic works, you'll be fine. Finally, you may over time develop an affinity for a certain campaign setting, and you may want to look for a group running a game in that setting. A good "default" setting is Forgotten Realms. You can find lots of info online. Other settings each bring their own flavor- horror (Ravenloft/ Curse of Strahd), steampunk (Eberron), gritty urban (Ravnica), etc.. Good luck, and have fun !