Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide

Very basic question, where is it? why isn't it available on Roll20? I mean we have GGTR and even the Rick and Morty adventure book, where is Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide? It's very annoying running adventure's like Dragon Heist and Dungeon of the Mad Mage without. 
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
It's one of the things on the backlog, Roll20 will release it sometime this year. Neither of the last two community roundtables have hinted at a more precise date, so we'll just have to wait.
This is a necessary sourcebook for the adventures in Waterdeep. Having that sourcebook to open up different backgrounds, races, etc. This sourcebook is essential for DragonHeist, Dungeon of the Mad mage, Tiamat, Princes of the Apocalypse, Baldur's Gate... 90% of the adventures I have played in and run on Roll20 is in the Faerun. To not have this necessary sourcebook and instead seeing things that we really don't need like GGTR and Rick and Morty is a huge disservice to the games I'm a part of, and the community. Just two cents from an active member on Roll20. 
Agreed.  But then I also question why Wizards of the Coast would release Rick and Morty over the plethora of books that should have been released by now.  I’m completely bewildered by the commercial decision making that is going on.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It likely comes down to marketing deals, promotional endeavors, licensing agreements, timelines concerning size of product and ease of creation and a hundred little details we are not privy to. That's business.
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Hi Lestat - Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is on our backlog to have completed by end of year. We began releasing Wizards of the Coast official content after the release of several books (We started with Tomb of Annihilation!), so we have been slotting in back catalog content where we can while remaining day-and-date with new releases. Thank you for your interest!
Trivia said: Hi Lestat - Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is on our backlog to have completed by end of year. We began releasing Wizards of the Coast official content after the release of several books (We started with Tomb of Annihilation!), so we have been slotting in back catalog content where we can while remaining day-and-date with new releases. Thank you for your interest! But didnt another person from the roll20 team comment on a post from over a year ago at the beginning of 2019 saying the same thing? They stated that it would be out by the end of that year. Are you confident that it would be completed this year? Also side question, what is the status of Out of the Abyss?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Dungeon M. said: But didnt another person from the roll20 team comment on a post from over a year ago at the beginning of 2019 saying the same thing? They stated that it would be out by the end of that year. Are you confident that it would be completed this year? Also side question, what is the status of Out of the Abyss? I think you answered your own question, in that the plan seems to have shifted, and that Trivia just told you the most up-to-date comment on the subject. I'm not surprised that Roll20 often keeps release date-speculation to a minimum by only saying more exact dates when they are extremely sure something will be made in that time frame. This is just one of those times when those long-term projections didn't hold.
Andreas J. said: Dungeon M. said: But didnt another person from the roll20 team comment on a post from over a year ago at the beginning of 2019 saying the same thing? They stated that it would be out by the end of that year. Are you confident that it would be completed this year? Also side question, what is the status of Out of the Abyss? I think you answered your own question, in that the plan seems to have shifted, and that Trivia just told you the most up-to-date comment on the subject. I'm not surprised that Roll20 often keeps release date-speculation to a minimum by only saying more exact dates when they are extremely sure something will be made in that time frame. This is just one of those times when those long-term projections didn't hold. I completely understand, but right now especially with the outbreak of Covid 19 I am encouraging a local gamestore that runs D&D Adventure's League 5-6 nights a week to move to Discord and Roll20 during this time to keep their doors open. I would encourage the Roll20 team to work on and release the Sword Coast Adventurer's guide as it is a much needed sourcebook. 

Edited 1586759173
Lestat D you're  my hero lol I've  been going crazy waiting on this book. Since I only play forgotten realms it's  also very important for me. I hope the roll20 team adds the book soon.
For what it's worth, I will jump on this and buy it as soon as possible, if it's going to be this year. I want to play a bladesinger as my next PC, and would love to pay for it here and not have to buy it elsewhere and have to try to make it work! I code enough at work that I'd rather not do too much (any?) of it when relaxing, lol. :-) Anyway, thank you, Trivia, for keeping us in the loop!
Trivia, I work in software too and understand your deliema. You have another buyer if you release this content. 
any new info on this? this book is essentail in so many ways.
I wonder if Out of the Abyss is in that backlog too.

Edited 1588063441
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
BG said: I wonder if Out of the Abyss is in that backlog too. It is.
I have a wizard who really wants to play a Bladesinger and a monk who wants to play Sun Soul. Great content in this book it seems. Hope to see it on Roll20 soon! 
I want this book so bad.   Please give it some love!
I am playing a bladesinger and other characters who use SCAG blade cantrips - I didn't need to buy SCAG for them, I just copy-pasted class ability descriptions and spells from other sources into my character sheet and set up my own scaling macros for the blade cantrips ;) Howver, I would love to see SCAG being released here too ^^
Adding another name to the "I'll buy it immediately" list. 
Add me to the immediate purchase list.
You can add me to the immediate purchase list as well.
Yup... prioritize this foundational item. Many of us will buy it straight away because custom level up of my Arcane Cleric is a PITA without this tome in the compendium.
I'm going to raise my hand on this as well and say it's a much needed addition to the compendium. I will definitely purchase it so I no longer have to try and make it all work without it.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
With Roll20 having at least one more compendium/game creator added somewhat recently, I'd figure that with the large "Out of the Abyss", "Empire of the Ghouls" and "Odyssey of Dragon-lords" having come out now out in a short time, as well as "Mythic Odysseys of Theros" coming out in two weeks, it would indicate Roll20 is becoming better and faster at coming out with getting out modules and compendiums, so my completely unqualified guess is that SCAG would come out by the end of summer. Mind you that it's pretty sure module/compendium creators don't touch anything else on Roll20, so the fact that developers wrestle with server stability & capacity along with improving UDL, it should have little bearing on the compendium creators.
So the end of the year?By December 31st at the latest? Well, can my group get back the $300 plus dollars they dropped to play the two Waterdeep modules? Don't worry when it when the rule book that is needed to actually play in Waterdeep comes out, we'll give you money again. Suggestion, get the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide off the back burner right quick
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The refund policy is here . Personal Note: I have been playing every week here for years and have never needed the DMG. Aside from some art, a few magic items and some superseded class/race options, it has very little to offer, especially little that is needed . Nice to have? Sure. Needed? Not really.
Just went to buy SCAG and couldn't find it. This thread answers my question. Looking forward to its release on Roll20. SCAG and DMG and I'll have the whole Forgotten Realms set. Keep up the good work!
+1 for "will buy SCAG immediately"
keithcurtis said: The refund policy is here . Personal Note: I have been playing every week here for years and have never needed the DMG. Aside from some art, a few magic items and some superseded class/race options, it has very little to offer, especially little that is needed . Nice to have? Sure. Needed? Not really. @KeithCurtis by that logic what benefit do we get from any of the books on Roll20? For example the Rick and Morty book, Guildmaster's guide to Ravnica, etc. Why do you release adventure modules when one could just create the maps and tokens themselves. Literally your statement can be applied to everything currently on Roll20, they are all nice to have but not needed to run a game. The reason I spend hundreds of dollars is because I like having these tools already in Roll20 and when I find something as basic as sourcebooks like SwordCoast Adventure's guide or the Dungeon Master's Guide it disappoints me because it takes away from the experience of having an ease of using a virtual platform like Roll20. None of this is NEEDED to run a game, the way your make your money is by providing the "nice to have". 

Edited 1590542293
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
To be clear, I am not employed by nor do I speak for Roll20 in any way, neither do I influence policy. I am merely a very involved bystander. I was a moderator for a brief period before the positions were outsourced. I am a Marketplace provider, but that is an independent agreement, along with hundreds of others.  I was merely responding to the statement "when the rule book that is needed to actually play in Waterdeep comes out, we'll give you money again". The number of people who have played in Waterdeep on Roll20 is tacit evidence that the book is not needed . Nice to have? Certainly. Useful? Certainly. Will I use it when it becomes available? Absolutely. But its existence is not conditional to use the module. Let's try this from a hopefully less contentious tack, because I would like to understand: What features will the release of the DMG on Roll20 allow you to do? What's the biggest draw? The biggest advantage?
keithcurtis said: To be clear, I am not employed by nor do I speak for Roll20 in any way, neither do I influence policy. I am merely a very involved bystander. I was a moderator for a brief period before the positions were outsourced. I am a Marketplace provider, but that is an independent agreement, along with hundreds of others.  I was merely responding to the statement "when the rule book that is needed to actually play in Waterdeep comes out, we'll give you money again". The number of people who have played in Waterdeep on Roll20 is tacit evidence that the book is not needed . Nice to have? Certainly. Useful? Certainly. Will I use it when it becomes available? Absolutely. But its existence is not conditional to use the module. Let's try this from a hopefully less contentious tack, because I would like to understand: What features will the release of the DMG on Roll20 allow you to do? What's the biggest draw? The biggest advantage? Are you being serious? The DMG would provide loads of magic items into the compendium that aren't currently there, it would provide an immediate way to find tables and source material without having to seek that information outside of Roll20 which causes games to lag. Before I go off on a tangent about the DMG, the purpose of this post was in regard to the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, and when you see multiple people in the community calling out for a sourcebook, you don't make them wait 2-3 years because it's "not necessary" no you do what you can to see it released, clearly they are able to release books that people don't use at all like the Rick and Morty or Guidmaster Guide to Ravnica. And your counter to me saying SCAG is a NEEDED sourcebook is that "Well people run Waterdeep games without it." Yes and people also run games not on Roll20 because Roll20 doesn't provide this book. You're initial statement was that all these books are "nice to haves" and not necessary, D&D is a game and Roll20 is an online platform to create these games, none of it is necessary. The only reason Roll20 exists is because it is a nice to have.

Edited 1590613626
These issues have been addressed many times over the time I have been on Roll20, as they are working on recreating these books for Roll20. That in the past they had a different licensing agreement, which made it difficult. The newer books come out earlier because of the agreement with WoTC, which doesn't mean that Roll20 is not working on the old, but has to keep up to date with new releases. (Reason why you have items like Rick and Morty. One of the older roundtables addressed this fact) There is nothing stopping you from taking the books you have and inputting the data into Roll20 yourself until this happens is what I believe Keith is getting at. Which is time-consuming and not what people want to do, themselves. So we ask that others do it for us, and sometimes that takes time because of workload and the fact that Roll20 is a small organization and is not WoTC or only works on WoTC products. Yes, it would be nice to have these things available and pay money to have them. But when a company gives you a timeline that something should be done, don't bash them for not having it, just continue to let them know, having this would be a quality of life improvement. (So I don't have to do it myself.) Can't wait for these books to come out.
Kilter said: These issues have been addressed many times over the time I have been on Roll20, as they are working on recreating these books for Roll20. That in the past they had a different licensing agreement, which made it difficult. The newer books come out earlier because of the agreement with WoTC, which doesn't mean that Roll20 is not working on the old, but has to keep up to date with new releases. (Reason why you have items like Rick and Morty. One of the older roundtables addressed this fact) There is nothing stopping you from taking the books you have and inputting the data into Roll20 yourself until this happens is what I believe Keith is getting at. Which is time-consuming and not what people want to do, themselves. So we ask that others do it for us, and sometimes that takes time because of workload and the fact that Roll20 is a small organization and is not WoTC or only works on WoTC products. Yes, it would be nice to have these things available and pay money to have them. But when a company gives you a timeline that something should be done, don't bash them for not having it, just continue to let them know, having this would be a quality of life improvement. (So I don't have to do it myself.) Can't wait for these books to come out. I understand, I totally understand you have to go where the money/contracts take you first, and yes it takes an incredible amount of time to get these books into Roll20 to make them available for everyone. My beef and the reason I commented was the fact that he said it wasn't needed and therefore shouldn't be a priority because of that alone. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's a pretty reductionist (and incorrect) paraphrase.
+1 to "would buy immediately"
I've been waiting for a long while. I'd buy
+1 to would buy immediately My brother-in-law and I were both pretty shocked to find out it's not already there.
100% expected this on here. I just went to buy it only to find it's not there. Seems crazy to me to have storms kings thunder and descent into avernus before a book with rules and mechanics the players want to utilise.
+1 to will buy immediately  Went to buy it and was very disappointed to not see it
Any updates on ETA?
I came to buy the SCAG for Roll20 today since my new character will be a Bladesinger and I wanted the convenience of having everything built into the Charactermancer.  I was quite disappointed to find that this is not already available and there are multiple threads going back over 18 months about this.  I'd like to say I'd buy this when it's available, but honestly by that time I'm not sure I'll need it any more.  All I can say is that if it was available right now, I would have bought it today.
It seems so strange that SCAG isn't here, ready to be purchased.
In the last Community Roundtable Roll20 staff only said that both the D&D 5e DMG and SCAG would be available for sale in the Roll20 Marketplace by the end of 2020. No more specifics were provided. It could be tomorrow, or it could be December 31.
Starting Decent into Avernus and was looking for SCAG but it looks like it is still not available yet.
+1 for would have bought right now. Though I think at this point I'll just stick with buying content on D&D Beyond and using the Beyond20 plug-in. It's hard to believe how much content is still missing in Roll20.
Creating a bladesinger as I'm writing this. It would really make the process easier
Have a campaign starting soon for Descent into Avernus and thought of the Cleric of Arcana Domain that gets Turn Undead for Demons, Devils and Celestials.  Really wish I could buy SCAG today before my campaign starts...

Edited 1598619396
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
No update on the release date was given on Aug 26th Community roundtable , was just said that SCAG & DMG will be out by end of 2020.
📜🗡Andreas J.🏹📜 said: No update on the release date was given on Aug 26th Community roundtable , was just said that SCAG & DMG will be out by end of 2020. That would be nice.  I couldn't find where in the video they talked about this, but it wasn't in their "top priorities".  So, I'm dubious they can deliver on this especially since there are only 4 months left in 2020.
+1, can't wait for both books