Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP][Heavy RP][CST] Roleplayers sought for unconventional fantasy campaign

Edited 1582374004
"Don't bother telling me who you are . Who-- or what-- do you wish to be?" You feel a sense of confusion, disorientation. It's as if you're floating in the dim, grey void of the world behind your eyes. You think you had been asleep... dreaming. But now this not-really-a-voice, sharing these thoughts which could almost be mistaken for a lingering echo of a dream if you didn't still feel some kind of strange but gentle presence near you, seems to have woken you up only somewhat. That is, you feel as though you're still asleep, yet able to think lucidly. And perhaps to communicate clearly as well, if you so choose. You sense that the inquirer is still with you, waiting. How do you respond? Hi there! I've been DMing games for a while now (the longest one has been running for about two years now), and now I'm looking to start a new unconventional roleplay group that's more heavily focused on individual character stories rather than just throwing a bunch of adventurers together and having them all go stab things and get loot. The main thing about this new game is that I'm looking for it to be mainly focused on roleplay more so than just combat and dice rolling and classes and "game" aspects like that. I'm hoping to find players who want to really have their characters feel like they're a part of the world and be unique and special in their own way without necessarily having to be epic adventurers on a quest to rescue a dragon or defeat a princess or whatever. Of course, it will still be a fantasy setting and so there will still be dangers and adventures and stuff along the way. But I think it'd still be nice if those dangers actually felt dangerous and like something to be avoided if possible rather than something that characters would just dive into headfirst because they're Adventurers and That's What Adventurers Do. So you can expect a lot more focus on roleplaying your way out of (or into?) situations with many sessions having little to no dice rolling or combat whatsoever, and that's mostly what I mean by calling this an unconventional fantasy campaign: a lot less "game" and a lot more roleplaying! I'm most available on weekday evenings and Sundays CST [GMT-6], so that's probably when most of the RP will take place. Specific times will depend on the other participants and their schedules too, though. The "game" parts will be loosely based on 5e, but always with an emphasis on roleplay over game mechanics. So if this sounds like something you might be interested in (and you aren't someone who is desperate for any game and doesn't care what kind of game it is), please message me an in-character response to the prompt above (any character is fine!). And of course if you have any questions for me about the setting or tone or anything else for this roleplay, just let me know!

Edited 1582350252
Before I give an in-character response, can you tell me a bit about the setting/tone? Also are you planning play-by-post or real-time and on voice chat? This sounds like the sort of game I've been wanting to be on the player side of for a while, but I'd like to know a tad more.
Hi, I had previously messaged you about a post very similar if not exact same a few days ago and you announced it was full. Are their new positions now or no?

Edited 1582365798
Fiona?  No... couldn't be.  I still know she's out there... somewhere.  What did I put in that last ale I concocted.  Was it the Ettercap web?  I doubt it I've used that before.  I've got it.  It had to have been the Satyr tears.  Mental note: No more Satyr tears... UNLESS!  I could brand it as hallucinogenic.  But there's more...  This feels too real.  Ok whatever or whoever you are you're scaring me.  Did I do something wrong?  If this is something like the unicorn theories I didn't know.  Give me a sign of what not to do and I won't.  I promise, please I have a daughter who needs me.  I will recompense just let me know what to do as long as I don't have to kill anyone innocent.  She's all I have.  What is going on!  This is all too real I don't understand!  HELP ME UNDERSTAND! Fiona?  Fiona?  Is that you?  Your daughter misses you.  Please come back.  What am I doing... Why am I talking to myself... *Shivers roll down my spine* Please stop I can't take this anymore.  Why is this happening?  PLEASE STOPPPPPPPPP!  *Head flies up as if waking from a nightmare screaming STOPPPPPPP!*     Hello, my name is Tony and this is exactly the type of campaign I am looking for.  I love all aspects of DND including combat but the real fun is RP.  I am available Tuesday/Wednesday anytime.  I would love to more about what is to come and hope to hear back!
I would be interrested to know more too 
I'm also interested in the answers to Jessica C's questions so I'll be following this post to find out more :)  Also I am looking for a game along with a friend of mine, so there are two of us and we are only available Monday evenings... which may not work for everyone sadly.  But we shall see!

Edited 1582412182
Sessions will involve voice chat, but between-sessions RP and communication will be over text. Some details of the setting will depend on what the group as a whole prefers, but the roleplay will take place in an original setting that isn't just a clone of other worlds but still has plenty of familiar medieval fantasy elements to it. The premise will most likely revolve around exploring and discovering an unknown world and also figuring out the secrets of magic in this world. That's just a quick summary, though, and there'll be a lot more specific details to discuss with the participants!
Ok, I read your follow-up here and the message you sent me and I think maybe I have a character I've been waiting to play for a while that might be a good fit. What I'm going for is a warlock who comes from a family that has exclusively been warlocks of the same patron for several generations. Probably a lawful neutral character. If this doesn't fit, that's fine, I have several other character concepts floating around. Went ahead and typed up an in-character response to your prompt, I hope it's not too long. My response is instinctive as soon as the voice encroaches into mind. "Whatever it is you will me to be, my patron." I begin to realize my mistake quickly. This isn't the familiar, life-long presence of my family's patron. Rather than a passive-aggressive reminder of dominion, this seems to be a genuine question. "Wait, who are you? If you're here to solicit a mortal servitor, I ask that you kindly leave. Generations of my family are sworn to another-" There is no response, and as I shake off my sleep I can feel the presence rapidly fading. I sit up in bed and sigh with relief, hoping desperately that I won't need to explain this later. Despite its reminders to my family that it doesn't own us and we maintain our free will, the patron often feels like an overbearing parent or perhaps a terribly jealous lover. If it finds out I've been contacting another outsider, there will be no end to the nagging. I rub my eyes and begin to dress for the morning, pulling on my silken finery and buckling a pair of decorative bracers over the sleeves. Service definitely has its benefits. It's not the worst thing in the world to run an endless series of strange, unexplained tasks in exchange for a life of luxury. It's not as if the patron has ever demanded murder and destruction. One can't help but to have questions, though. "My patron, why do you want me to burn three entire pounds of eyes?" "My patron, forgive me for asking, but what's in this letter and why am I to leave it in the middle of a lagoon?" On the rare occasions I've actually tried to ask these things, I'm shut down quickly. Such things aren't for me to know, I'm told. I don't need all of the details in order to do what I've been asked, it says. I finish my morning routine and check the list from my most recent communion. Buy a loaf of bread from the baker on the south side of town, not the north side of town. Leave a dead rat on the roof of every barn. Make sure no weeds are growing in the common square. Make a small cut on the leg of a brown horse. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but I feel uncomfortable today. I ask myself thousands of questions every day about what I do, but today something new and unpleasant is shining through the rest, planted there by the voice from my dreams. "Is this what I want to be?" I shake my head, as if I can get the question out. There's no sense asking things like that. This is the path I was set on before I was born, and nothing can change it, even if I wish something would.
Thank you both for the lovely responses :D Sadly, the game is full now though... sorry!