Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Player Subscription Tier

As a player who doesn't GM the only features that are of interest are All access Character Vault and No Load Screen Ads.  $50 per annum is too high a price for just having to re-type my character sheet when the DM doesn't have a sub and tto avoid a few adds but it would be great to have a subscription tier aimed at players rather than GMs.

Edited 1583896200
I think roll20 needs to rethink subscriptions in general. Players need what is enticing to players (including all access vault and no adds), and we need to keep it cheap as heck so that lots of people flock to it, 2.99 a month, 29.99 a year. Free Tokens - give them lots of pretty tokens, and the longer they stay subscribed, the better the tokens. Give them back story snips to look at and inspire them. Give them name generators. Whatever! Even if these resources are available online elsewhere, its nice to have it under one roof. The free tier, then, might need to have more ads and a cap on how many games can be joined at once, to help push players to pay the reasonable fee and support the platform. As for the Plus tier - this is fairly reasonable. But I think GMs need what is enticing to GMs. Let GMs (or anyone really) cover their membership either partially or fully by buying content from the marketplace. I would go nuts at the marketplace if this were the case, even if it cost me a bit more to pay for things this way. I don't currently use the marketplace much because I know the content I want vaporizes if roll20 goes away or deletes my account. I hate that. If I could download PDFs or such (which, good luck with that ever happening with WotC) I'd buy the store out practically, but I can't. If it paid for my subscription, I'd go nuts in the store each year and cover my subscription. Dynamic lighting, advanced fog of war, and the like - all that is great too of course. The Pro/Dev tier makes sense, and the access it gives to the development team is great. But on the same hand, the folks who are doing api scripting and the like, if they're producing useful work, should likely get complimentary or discounted access to this tier. I feel like GMs and devs are the community's bread and butter (not that players aren't important by any means, but the prior are rarer talents) and those are the folks being counted on to pay up. Having a player tier helps this a lot, and maybe allows for juicier incentives for the Plus/Pro tiers. I think folks largely pay so that they can support the platform. At least, I know I do - its altruism primarily for the greater community good. But we could have it both ways - and the more folks we encourage to pay, the better this becomes!
One suggestion would be to enable some of the pro/plus-features for players. For example compendium sharing for games where I am the player. It would also be nice to have access to the art I have bought for tokens etc.
Bump!
Final bump from me (we're almost at a month and 2 upvotes shy of 10)
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .