Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Let GM read character sheet without affecting players view.

Score + 208
I often look into my players sheet to look up things like languages they speak and similar things.  If the players are reading a different page (like their spells) I have to change page. Part of the problem is that it is disruptive of their reading, but it also reveals that I am reading their sheet. It would be nice if every reader handled their paging independently to not disturb or reveal anything to the others.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
While waiting to see if this becomes an option, there is a way to get this info without players knowing.  I have set up several macros for rolls and general info specific to the group I am running.  Languages is one of the things I wanted to have access to...  This is for the Pathfinder by Roll20 sheet, but it should give you an idea of what can be done.  Just need to see how to access it on your sheet. /w gm &{template:pc} {{showchar=[[0]]}} {{charname=}} {{name=Group Languages}} {{type=attackdamage}} {{roll=}} {{descflag=1}} {{desc=**S'werc Soloe**: @{S'wrec Soloe|languages} **Lily**: @{Lily|languages} **Dax**: @{Dax|languages} **Sanos**: @{Sanos|languages} **Salazarr**: @{Salazarr Antonio de Oliverira|languages}}} Since I am wanting all characters at once, I reference them all by name instead of as selected or target. Just thought I would post in case you could use a way to work around this limitation.
It’s also not ideal, but you can create a duplicate of the PC and view that duplicate.  I tend to do this anyway as I’ve had issues with a character sheet being overwritten by a creature template.  Just a thought.
+1
Virtual +1. I regret that I have no more votes to give....
Anthony said: Virtual +1. I regret that I have no more votes to give.... Same. My "+1" are a bookmark for when I get a vote back.
+1!
+1
+1 on this
+1
Great idea - +1 -Adam
Has someone tried using an input element with a name that doesn't start with "attr_" as a workaround? This is possible according to the official documentation  (ironically under "Common Mistakes"), and my understanding is that the variable controlling the CSS visibility wouldn't get propagated to other players in this case.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
SmashManiac said: Has someone tried using an input element with a name that doesn't start with "attr_" as a workaround? This is possible according to the official documentation  (ironically under "Common Mistakes"), and my understanding is that the variable controlling the CSS visibility wouldn't get propagated to other players in this case. Yes, if you leave out the name for the input, that would indeed work, but also means that every time the sheet is opened, it opens up on the default page, and not on the one that was last viewed. This can't be done on Official Sheets as their full sourcecode isn't available to be used in a custom game.

Edited 1610204684
Yeah I've often messed up my player's character sheet by looking into them while they were modifying things and it is troublesome/annoying. This is a really great idea. Maybe a work around would be to make the character shets work independantly from handouts.
Gold
Forum Champion
There are new updates to Character Sheet process, now testing on Dev server and announced in Pro forum. Not sure yet if it will affect this Suggestion? Anyone know?
+1
Not sure why the sheets worked this way to begin with. Please let me snoop on my players sheets surreptitiously. +1
Oh dear god yes please yes. +1
+1 sounds like a good idea. Had such situations quite often disrupting each other's reading. i.e. Player scrolling down the items list, me checking some attack settings. Nevertheless sometimes it might make sense to have the view synchronized, in case me as GM wants to show some specific settings of spells or items, basically educating player on how to use the sheet, set item, spell, etc. Some sort of synch checkbox on the GM view would be good I think.
I admit this can be a bit annoying, but at the same time, I've found it helpful for showing players things via changing their view.
Bump? Really frustrating to interrupt someone else's viewing to check a detail.
+1
Gold
Forum Champion
+1 in practice this has been a nuisance (the current shared-control of Character Sheet tab across Multiple Players), causing the GM to need to verbally tell players "Hey stop editing your sheet and close it, because I'll be in there doing something for a few minutes" This fix is needed
Could this perhaps be solved with some sort of pointer-bases way of copying the sheets? That is, the sheet is just a bunch of values in a database, organised into a pretty view. It should be possible to create a different view with the same data. Perhaps even a DM-sheet where all the characters are gathered in one place.
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
This is really annoying. Could you please fix this?
+1 this would be great.
+1
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
With the new added limited jquery this is possible, but a sheet needs to be rewritten in order to support this. Also as Andreas J said. It will affect the player in that every time they open their sheet it will start on the default page.