Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Distant Lamps and Adv. FOW

So after 2 days of googling and trying to find a solution I am here. I fully expect there may not be a functional solution within the system to accommodate this and if so then "Oh Well", right? Using Advanced Fog of War and dynamic lighting I want to be able to design a military base with search lights. Specifically I want to be able to limit map reveal to 15 or 20 hexes from my player's tokens, and make it so they can only see a directional light source if it is illuminating spaces within their range/area of sight. So if you had a street lamp 50 feet away, giving out 30 feet of light, a vision range of 20 feet, you won't reveal that light until your vision range has overlapped with the illuminated spaces. Is there a way to do this? Because my googlefu is failing me and my eyes are getting tired of starting at the Advanced Token Settings while I try to figure this out.

Edited 1582564968
As far as I'm aware, AFoW and dynamic lighting can't function together that way with the current system, but there is an update in the works to overhaul the entire DL and AFoW system sometime this spring, and it should be able to accomplish that kind of effect.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
If you don't want them to see distant lights, a way to do this would be to turn off the "other players see light" option on the light source.  It should still be visible to you, so that you know when their vision gets to it.  Then check the box on for the light to be visible when they get in range.
Thanks folks. <3