Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll20 Rookie needs some macro help

So I ran my first game with my new group on here last night. We are playing 5E so I’ll make a bulleted list of what I would like to know more about. so I there a macro/shortcut besides just clicking on each character and and adding a turn to get everyone into initiative?  I would like to make some GM macros that I just can click that will be like d20+x for the attack and and one for advantage and maybe for all the simple dice rolls so I can just pump in the damage modifiers Is there a simple set up to put a monsters basic stats into roll20 so I could click on their token and it will open up a sheet full of macros for attacks and things like that?  There are a bunch more that I can’t think of right this minute but these are a start.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
1. Adding many characters to initiative with one step requires the API, a Pro perk. That being said, you can use a macro to add any selected token to the tracker. Save this to your macros and click the option to make it a Token Action. Every time you select a token that represents a character, an initiative button will appear. So you won't need to open a sheet. %{selected|initiative} 2,3. That's a much longer answer than I can give here, but here is another macro you can create like the one in step 1.  Any token you select will be able to use it. It creates what is known as a  Chat Menu . When you click it, you will get a chat button for the first four actions on the character sheet of the token you have selected. If you character has more than four actions, they won't show. If it has less than four, just ignore the gibberish buttons. /w gm &{template:npcaction} {{rname=Actions for @{selected|character_name}}} {{description=[@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_name}](~selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_npc_action) [@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_name}](~selected|repeating_npcaction_$1_npc_action) [@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$2_name}](~selected|repeating_npcaction_$2_npc_action) [@{selected|repeating_npcaction_$3_name}](~selected|repeating_npcaction_$3_npc_action)}} &{noerror} Here is an example with a goblin: You can use this principle to set up more chat menus for saves, etc. There are some very good API scripts that give great output, but these require a Pro subscription.
I have a pro subscription that I’m using as a GM one of my players is allowing me to GM through the account so if it’s a pro option please let me know.

Edited 1585236498
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
For Initiative, you can use the GroupInitiative API script to roll for all selected tokens.
How and where do I enter this sort of stuff onto my games? 

Edited 1585249214
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Here's a great little video about it:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jam2yx8btaQ" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jam2yx8btaQ</a> &nbsp;(1min, 43sec)

Edited 1585254295
The Aaron said: Here's a great little video about it:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jam2yx8btaQ" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jam2yx8btaQ</a> &nbsp;(1min, 43sec) Hey Aaron, I just learned the other day, that if you right click a progress bar on youtube when it is right where you want to link to, you can copy and paste a link to that spot in the video.&nbsp; You probably already knew this as your so darned smart, but I'm going to spend the time from now until you say, "yeah I knew that", thinking that I actually taught YOU something for a change.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Hahahahah..&nbsp; Yeah, I did know that.&nbsp; What I should have said is that the video is only 1min and 43 seconds long... =D
Is there a good guide out their to basic coding and macros for Roll20
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The wiki articles can give you a thorough understanding of the basics. Dice Reference Macros The first two sections of the Roll Templates page (ignore the majority of the page unless you are planning on designing character sheets) The API pages for scripting (requires knowledge of JavaScript.
Thank you very much
Do all APIs have to added to a campaign when you start it or can you edit them?&nbsp;
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Joey V. said: Is there a simple set up to put a monsters basic stats into roll20 so I could click on their token and it will open up a sheet full of macros for attacks and things like that?&nbsp; I've been doing that with my 13th Age games since 2014. I create a Journal entry under a Folder to keep things tidy. Then I use the Abilities to have a named button for each monster ability, starting with Initiative and going through each monster ability. I've used the Default Roll Template so far, but I'm using the PowerCards API script for my new campaign.&nbsp;
Is there some type of depository of great macros that people could want?&nbsp;