Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Recommended purchase for new group/DM D&D 5e

Heya! My friends and I are looking into playing together on Roll 20, D&amp;D 5e. We have years and years of P&amp;P experience, and familiarized ourselves with Roll 20 in and outs, but one thing that I find a bit lacking in the free version is how to build a proper dungeon with dungeon tiles, or have a reasonable selection of premade dungeons. With that in mind, what purchases would you recommend? E.g.&nbsp; <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/4175/tactical-maps-adventure-atlas" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/4175/tactical-maps-adventure-atlas</a> , is that collection any good? Does it come ready with enemy setup, or is it maps only? Is there any way to get proper dungeon tiles for free or to buy, so we can build our own dungeons, just as with cardboard dungeon tiles? I have heard very good things about the Lost mines of Phandelver campaign, to get back into D&amp;D. Is the marketplace purchase worth it? How easy is it to set up encounters and use them? Thank you very much! :) -Crux
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
The Tactical Maps Adventure Atlas is just going to be the Maps themselves, no encounters or monsters.&nbsp; However, I've read that those maps are considered the best maps created during 4th edition DnD, which is why they're being re-released by WotC.&nbsp; I know there are some third party companion PDFs you can buy elsewhere that set up scenarios with the maps. There are lots of dungeon tile sets on the marketplace.&nbsp; I like Gabriel Pickard's Red Cap's Maps, personally. The Lost Minds of Phandelver Campaign is very well set up and easy to jump right into.&nbsp; You as the GM would just need to read some of the setup material for the plot.&nbsp; All the maps are set up with encounters (and Dynamic Lighting if you have a Plus or Pro subscription).&nbsp; I've run it several times, and played through it.
I recommend buying a campaign. Mines of Phandelver is a good intro kit, and a good price. However, a full-size campaign, such as Storm King's Thunder, will have a shocking amount of content like monsters, NPCs and loads of dungeon maps and stuff. The world maps and descriptions of cities in SKT is very useful and can be a resource for any homebrew stuff you want to do. Several other campaigns will be like that too. Finally, purchasing a campaign will model for you a well-set-up game so you can use it as a template for GMing.
Thanks to both of you for your insights, really appreciate it!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I agree with Chris, with the added note that I think LMoP is easier to dip into.&nbsp; SKT is enormous!!!