Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Looking to take my IRL Pulp Cthulhu campaign online and had a few questions before I went ahead and got the Pro account

We ran through Lightless Beacon and everything went really well, better than I expected (to be fair, as a pessimist I expected my computer to catch fire and for Discord to translate everyone into Esperanto) so I'm trying to figure out what I need to do to resume our quarantine-interrupted campaign and I had a few questions and points I was looking to clear up: 1) There doesn't appear to be a Compendium for the Pulp Cthulhu book, but luckily I own the PDF as well as the hard copy, so for the few visuals we need I was going to edit bits of the PDF and import them as journal entries and map pages (we're playing The Disintegrator, so I was going to do this for the hotel floor plan). This isn't going to violate any copyright, right? Additionally, does anyone have any recommendations for free PDF editing software and/or what's the best format to upload this images in? 2) It's looking like I'm gonna be doing a lot of typing for getting NPCs into the game. After I get Pro, my players should be able to write up their own character sheets from their hard copy stats on their accounts and then I can just use my Pro powers to import the characters, correct?  3) When this scenario concludes, the best way to move player characters and any useful NPCs and library assets to the next scenario is to copy the game, delete the old scenario assets, then delete the old game, yes? Sorry if this is all a little obvious, I work at a grocery store and the past few weeks have been a bit hectic so I haven't been able to spend as much time researching as I'd like. I'd also appreciate any suggestions for token/map/art collections suitable for Pulp Cthulhu.

Edited 1585265057
David
Sheet Author
1) Copyright is not going to be issue.&nbsp; If you don't have Adobe Acrobat just use alt-print Screen and then paste it into any image editor such as Paintbrush/Gimp/Photoshop. 2) No you add a character sheet and then they fill it in&nbsp; once you give them permissions.&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Adding_Character_Sheet" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Adding_Character_Sheet</a> 3) Once you&nbsp; have done the set up for your first scenario copy the game. If you have a pro account you can use the transmogrifier to copy stuff from your original game to the backup.&nbsp;
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
1) It doesnt violate copyright, any more than sharing that information would at your local table. Roll20 is designed to be pretty robust on the copyright front: you cant share things from your campaign to someone else's campaign, so you dont need to worry about piracy. Uploading images is best as jpg, unless you need transparency then use a png. Pretty much any image editing software will do. 2) There's a feature called The Character Vault. Players can create characters in their own campaign, then export them to their character vault, and import from there into your campaign (if you';re a Pro user). It's better though to set up your own campaign, and give them character sheets and let them design their characters there. You dont need to be online, the campaign is always available. 3) If your playing multiple adventures with the same characters, its normal to just keep using the same campaign. Library assets aren't linked to a specific campaign - they are linked to your account, and you can use them in any of your campaigns.&nbsp; You could do it the way you suggest. If you're planning to go pro, you can use a feature called the transmogrifier to move npcs, maps, and other stuff into and out of your campaigns as needed. It;s common for people to set up a Library campaign to hold all their npcs, adventure handouts and so on, and port them into their actual played campaign as needed. If youre using mods, bought adventures, that does make things trickier. You would need to create a campaign for each of those I think, then either copy in characters via the Transmogrifier or Character Vault.
I'm running a Pulp Campaign (the Two Headed Serpent) now.&nbsp; I use the non-Roll20 sheet that was created that supports Pulp options and quite frankly looks and works far better than the "official" sheet at the moment.&nbsp; We also grabbed the 7e compendium but that is primarily because most of my players don't own a physical copy so its easier to quickly search rules in game.&nbsp; (Although as Keeper I try to remember where the pulp exceptions are.) 1) As for art and tokens, I use paint.net and either snap images directly from the pdfs that support image copy for use in the game or I take a screenshot from my PC of the pdf page and edit/ save it as a jpg to upload into the game.&nbsp;&nbsp; If you haven't already, check out tokentool on <a href="https://www.rptools.net/" rel="nofollow">https://www.rptools.net/</a> It is the BEST for making VTT tokens.&nbsp; Tons of background options, super simple interface and I've even created tokens for npcs on the fly with a quick google image search and a cut/ paste .&nbsp; 2) I originally started trying to do NPC sheets for everything but that quickly became more work than it's worth.&nbsp; Although the Orp sheet supports multiple NPCs per sheet in the options, I now only use them for major NPCs or recurring monsters like Ghouls &amp; generic mooks that I can carry over from game to game.&nbsp;&nbsp; Otherwise, I just use a good old paper copy or pdf of my NPCs and roll the dice in the app or on my desk to keep things moving.&nbsp; 3) I've found it easier to delete old maps/ sheets etc or just archive them if you think you may use them again someday.&nbsp; As a Pro subscriber, storage hasn't been an issue for me, but I also only run 1 or 2 campaigns at a time.&nbsp; The transmogrifier tool is great for reusing things like generic maps and monsters from game to game.&nbsp; If you give me a DM I can invite you to a copy of my campaign that you can check out what I've done in.