Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Sharing both ways?

I am a GM in a D&D 5E game, and I am sharing my compendium with the players of that game. I play another game with exactly the same people, only that I am not the GM in that second game. Do they still have access to my compendium, indirectly, via the other game? Or do we have to buy the books twice if we want to play with alternating GMs?

Edited 1586118967
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
If you are the creator of both games, you could share it with both groups. If you are not the creator of the second game then you are the only one that can use it. If they all still belong to the first game, they still have access to your compendium but it is, as you mentioned, an indirect method of sharing. One method that is usually used is that the subscriber who owns the books will be the one that creates the game then promotes another player to GM status while they enter the game as a player. To do that easily is to go into the game and right-click on the rejoin as player button and copy the link. You will probably have to make a blank bookmark then paste it into that blank bookmark.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The easiest thing to do would be for the person who has the Compendium purchases to be the creator of the game, and then promote the other player to be the GM of that game. This is done on the campaign home page. Hover over their name and you will see the option. When you are logged into that game, there is a button at the top of the settings tab to re-join as player. They will now be gm and you will be a player. The GM will have access to everything except your Art Library: Compendium, Dynamic Lighting, etc. If you wish, you can bookmark the URL from the "Rejoin as Player" button and use that bookmark to join the game as a player automatically.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Sniped by 2 seconds!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
keithcurtis said: Sniped by 2 seconds! :P
Hey Also new, we have a group trying to figure out how it all works You write that "They will now be gm and you will be a player. The GM will have access to everything except your Art Library: Compendium, Dynamic Lighting, etc." So to understand it, if I buy a pack with some tokens, and then promote another to GM he cant use them (you write the art library). Also, the compendium isnt shared as i read that sentence, but the above comment says they are and its what is asked, im confused (Compendium is books and all other stuff bought right?) and finally, if they dont have dynamic light, does that mean everyone have to subscribe to get that? Sorry if they are stupid questions, we are a new group trying to figure out what and how to invest in this.  Thanks for your time
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Let's supposed you are the game's creator. If you purchased the compendium, you would go to the game's setting page (it is outside the game not the inside game tab) and scroll down to the compendium sharing. This will allow the compendium to be shared in that game. If you purchased an art package from the marketplace, you will be able to access it but none of your players can unless you drag every one of them out onto a page inside the game (some modules provide a token page like this). If you choose to become a paid subscriber then any game you create will have dynamic lighting or the ability to have it enabled. Does this help some?
So, if I new buy this  or  this  token pack from the marketplace, then with me as a GM i can drag and use them, and assign them to players for use. When another player next time is GM he wont be able to use the farmlands or the hero tokens unless I put each and every token out for him,. meaning when he prepares i have to be around? If i bought  the bestiary  here every player in my game would be able to acces the rules, but the tokens is the same as above? If this is true i understand. A follow up question, assuming the above is true, are we the only group that swaps GM? It seems like we, as a group, would have to buy alot of the same stuff this way, or am i missing something? Thanks alot for your time
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
<a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/5474/dynamic-dungeons-v12-farmhose-vineyards" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/5474/dynamic-dungeons-v12-farmhose-vineyards</a> &nbsp;(your first link) is a map addon so they will be added to your map scroll bar which means any of your GMs would have access to it. <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/4449/hero-tokens-pack-2" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/set/4449/hero-tokens-pack-2</a> &nbsp;is a token package so it would be in your art library tab under marketplace purchases and only you can access it unless you drag them onto a map page. <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/3834/pathfinder-rpg-bestiary" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/3834/pathfinder-rpg-bestiary</a> &nbsp;is a compendium book so once you enable it for that game, it is accessible by anyone in that game. You as the owner can access it outside the game but none of the others can (that I know of). For the last question. No, you are not the only group that swaps out GM's. Many groups do but those groups usually setup token pages, have one member purchase the majority of items and be the game creator for the group.
Thanks alot. The idea in the end is great and made me think, is there any way to transfer a page from one game to another? Or would you need to make the token page for each game? Thanks alot! As a new player to all this it is very confusing, thanks for helping out
Charif H. said: Thanks alot. The idea in the end is great and made me think, is there any way to transfer a page from one game to another? Or would you need to make the token page for each game? Thanks alot! As a new player to all this it is very confusing, thanks for helping out As I understood it, moving a page from one game to another requires the Transmogrify function, which is part of the PRO subscription.

Edited 1586180515
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Charif H. said: Thanks alot. The idea in the end is great and made me think, is there any way to transfer a page from one game to another? Or would you need to make the token page for each game? Thanks alot! As a new player to all this it is very confusing, thanks for helping out The game's creator would need the Transmogrifier (pro sub feature) or copy the game and delete what they do not want after making the copy. The transmogrifier is the best to use as it adds the page to existing games. The copy game aspect would make the base game for each group to build on.
You could make a base game with all of the things that you want as a starting point in the game and then make copies of that game for each new start.
Thanks alot for you time, it makes sense, i will talk to me group and figure out what we do Thanks all of you