Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Help with Modules and understanding costs

Edited 1586314984
Hello everyone, My friends and I want to transfer our game to virtual. Therefore, we are trying to figure out what the costs would be. Assuming we want dynamic lighting, we are 5 players and I will be running Storm King's Thunder campaign. Does that mean that the least it could cost us is: 100$ for the premium membership 79.99$ for the DM Starter bundle 24.99$ for the Storm King's Thunder module So a total of 205$? Or am I missing something? Edit: typo
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can save some money. Dynamic Lighting only requires a Plus membership. That's $49.99 per year, but you could test the waters by buying a month at a time to begin with. Only the game creator needs the subscription for everyone to enjoy the benefits. The GM Starter bundle is nice, and a good long-term investment. But you could also consider this: The module you are running has all of the monsters needed for the adventure. If you are not planning on doing a lot of changing, or running of side quests, you might not need  the Monster Manual. In that case, the Players Bundle is $30 cheaper, and gives you a lot more character creation options, as well as more spells. That one is really a toss up, though. And yeah, Storm King's Thunder is what it is.

Edited 1586315785
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
To use Dynamic Lighting, you would need a Plus Membership which is 4.99 per month. Pro Membership for 9.99 will allow you to add API scripts to the game so you can do cool things like auto spell slot use, auto ammo use, and a variety of other cool effects.  For 5e, I highly recommend using the D&D 5e by Roll20 character sheet for your games. If you get a Pro Account, you can add the script "5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion".  You will definitely need to get the SKT module (24.99), but the DM Starter bundle is optional provided you have other access to the core rule books. Storm King's Thunder comes with all of the monsters you need for that module.  The DM Starter bundle is a great deal and will let your players use the Charactermancer to quickly create any character from the Player's Handbook. It also gives you access to every monster in the Monster Manual. There are also many other perks to having the bundle. If you can get it, I would recommend it. However, if you can't right now, you can always start with just the SKT module and pick up the bundle later.  Welcome to Roll20! Have fun!  
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
keithcurtis said:  If you are not planning on doing a lot of changing, or running of side quests, you might not need  the Monster Manual. In that case, the Players Bundle is $30 cheaper, and gives you a lot more character creation options, as well as more spells.  Good point, keith. I hadn't thought of that!
Another option, if you have PDF's already, you can just get the plus membership and build everything into the game yourself. You do not NEED anything more than that. Everything else just saves time :)
Are we not allowed to write in our own posts? I can't see any of my replies...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hy P. said: Are we not allowed to write in our own posts? I can't see any of my replies... I could see that one. I suspect a gremlin of some kind.
Lol - seems like when I quote someone it doesn't appear. Here are my questions: Whats so special about the 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion? What is it exactly? Someone said: "Pro Membership for 9.99 will allow you to add API scripts to the game so you can do cool things like auto spell slot use, auto ammo use, and a variety of other cool effects." - what does that mean exactly? Is auto ammo use like removing an ammo when you attack?
Also - how does a PC level up? Is the process easy? My players want to multi-class, and though I have played D&D for 27 years, I have never allowed multi classing in fear of it being to complicated to track...
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Hy P. said: Lol - seems like when I quote someone it doesn't appear. Here are my questions: Whats so special about the 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion? What is it exactly? Someone said: "Pro Membership for 9.99 will allow you to add API scripts to the game so you can do cool things like auto spell slot use, auto ammo use, and a variety of other cool effects." - what does that mean exactly? Is auto ammo use like removing an ammo when you attack? Yes. I use the companion and it automatically subtracts spell slots when I click to cast a spell. Also, it will reduce my arrows any time I roll for a bow attack. It makes the character sheet more customizable. They are really just perks though and depends on how many extras you want. I know some people that don't use APIs at all and stick with the Plus membership. It is just a matter of personal preference.  As far as levelling up, it depends on what you have.  If you purchase the Player's Handbook, your players can use the Charactermancer to easily level up. They will be limited to the races, classes, feats, backgrounds, and spells in the PHB though. Anything beyond that would have to be added manually.  If you don't have the PHB, then characters can be created manually similar to how you would do with paper and pencil at a table, except you enter the data into a fillable character sheet. 
How does one get the 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion?
By the way - as you can see, I got the Pro subscription. Thanks for the advice guys!