Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dungeondraft map making

Wondering if anyone had used dungeon draft to make maps for roll20? Want to know if there are any major problems importing before spending money on the tool. 
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I haven't used Dungeondraft, but I do own and use Wonderdraft (same creator), and have had no problem uploading images.  As long as you save them in a format Roll20 can use, you should be fine.
The software has just been released so it isn't at version 1.0 yet. This means you currently cannot import your own assets or maps. With that being said, the designer Megasploot has stated that using custom assets and the ability to overlay an existing image/map will be available in later versions. It's really worth the 20 bucks considering the final product is most likely going to be 30 bucks (same price as Wonderdraft). The existing build (even though it crashes from time to time) is very intuitive and makes making battle maps and dungeons so easy. Below is the Moathouse from Village of Hommlet. Dungeondraft also allows you to export directly to Roll20 size format which means you won't have to fight with it to size it to grid. 
I created a 10x10 grid with a PPI of 70 in Roll20, I created a 10x10 map and exported it using the Roll20 specification in Dungeondraft. When I imported the map, it only filled a 3x3 grid portion and required me to resize the map. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Anyone have a clue?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Soutti said: I created a 10x10 grid with a PPI of 70 in Roll20, I created a 10x10 map and exported it using the Roll20 specification in Dungeondraft. When I imported the map, it only filled a 3x3 grid portion and required me to resize the map. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Anyone have a clue? That is normal. You just need to resize it, and it will snap to the grid. I think what was being referred to above about "not needing to fight the grid" is that older maps that were not designed for VTT often did not line up to the grid at the edges (i.e. there was part of a square at each edge). Those older maps require a lot more work to get the grid lines to line up.
Soutti said: I created a 10x10 grid with a PPI of 70 in Roll20, I created a 10x10 map and exported it using the Roll20 specification in Dungeondraft. When I imported the map, it only filled a 3x3 grid portion and required me to resize the map. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Anyone have a clue? Once you've gotten it large enough that you can see the grid in the dungeon draft map (if you've left it visible) just right click on the map and find the "align to grid" option. That resizes the map to line up the grid on it with the roll20 grid. 
The standard roll20 blank page is 25x25 tiles, so when you start a new map in Dungeondraft, set that as your size and you won't have to re-size hardly at all when importing your maps.