Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[D&D 5e] Macro to post feature description and roll dice

I'd like to create a macro to automatically post in chat the descrition of a feature of my PC's (it's not in the Compendium, it's from another handbook, I had to write it in my character sheet) and then roll some dice. I can't find a way to get the first part done, maybe it's something stupid. Is there a way to recall in chat a feature description?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you hover over a feature name, you will see a word balloon icon. Click that to send it to chat. You can drag that button down into your macro bar too, if you like (though you may need to click the option in your settings tab to show the macro bar first). There are other methods to send itt to chat, but those two are probably the most straightforward.
But that doesn't allow me to write a macro which posts the feature descrition AND roll dice. I would have to post the feature description (either from the macro toolbar or the character sheet) and than write /roll 2d6 in chat "manually". That's why I'm trying to write a macro for that
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Do the dice have to be in a totally separate section?  Would it work to just put a blank line or 2 at the end of your description and then use the inline roll syntax of [[2d6]] followed by whatever explanation you need for the dice roll?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Several ways to handle this. 1) Write the roll into the feature description as an online roll. [[2d6]] in the description will resolve into a roll when sent to chat. 2) When you drag that button down into the macro bar as described above, the default name of the macro is the sheet's rollbutton for that feature. You can place that code into a macro, and it will call the character sheet roll button for that feature. This will be something like: %{CharacterName|repeating_traits_-Lgs9vh9ffx_sQvUJ-Kv_output} 3) You can call the roll button by its order on the sheet: %{CharacterName|repeating_traits_$0_output} will call the first trait. $1 calls the second, $2 the third and so on.
It was that simple! That solved my problem, thank you. (I'm quite new here, I didn't know that syntax)
Thank you very much, Keithcurtis for your detailed answer!