Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Modules as Add-Ons

Score + 118
I'd like to quote Victor B. here: "There are many purchased modules where you have to create a game around it.  You have to select the module and create game.  However, many of these modules can be combined together, and these modules, such as Storm King's Thunder, even suggest combining them.  However, you can't add just any module after the game is created. Some you can, but the large ones you can't.  You have to create a new game and then transmogrify.  This becomes incredibly painful to combine the large modules as these modules have hundreds of objects, contained within many many folders and sub folders.  You have to select each object and drag/drop from within transmogrify and then recreate folders in target game and then drag drop each object into it's folder.  Like I said, incredibly painful.   Though I understand that there may be changes to transmogrify to allow copying folders and their contents, which would make combining significantly easier, the better approach is to treat ALL modules like add ons.  So once game is created, go to add ons and magic, it's there.  Want to add STK, go to Add Ons and add it.   Roll20, you really want something like this.  You want people to purchase more modules and integrate them quickly into their current campaigns.  You don't want a painful process that you currently have." - end quote. Victor's post didn't get enough votes first time round, but maybe this time we can make a difference. I personally would really love the ability to import modules or even just parts of modules that I have purchases in to pre-existing games rather than having to create new games with the modules included. Thanks everyone for your consideration.

Edited 1590785875
I would very much like this too. I would have to copy and paste assets and it would just take forever to do.
I would like that as well.
Sounds good to me.
I need this ability as well. 
Finally getting some traction on this one. How many votes are needed for Roll20 team to consider it? Thanks for the backup guys 👍
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Ben C. said: Finally getting some traction on this one. How many votes are needed for Roll20 team to consider it? Thanks for the backup guys  Did you check the pinned thread at the top of this forum?&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1280734/read-first-posting-to-suggestions-and-ideas-updated-02-slash-15-slash-19" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1280734/read-first-posting-to-suggestions-and-ideas-updated-02-slash-15-slash-19</a>
This needs to happen. I feel like getting a refund every time I buy a module and find out I STILL CAN'T IMPORT to the existing muli-year game. Super annoying.&nbsp; Please make it so we can add-on these modules. It shouldn't even be an ask, this should be done already.&nbsp;
I'd make good use of this option. My crew runs a wide range of published scenarios using the Fate Core engine, so being able to add a new module to an existing game rather than having rebuild Fate character sheets when creating a game around a new module would be pretty handy. Thanks!
I would like to add my vote to this please. Why not add modules to the compendium and treat them as a source book?
I would like to have this
FYI, you can copy the assets from games you create over to existing games. So just make one up real quick and copy them over and problem solved.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Martin, note that the transorgrifier is only available for Pro subscribers. Free &amp; Plus will have a much tougher time.

Edited 1643698969
I purchased a few modules and was profoundly disappointed to learn I can't directly import them in an existing game. I don't think I'll even play them if I have to make a new campaign and transmogrify the hundred of characters I have in my campaign. I feel like bringing modules to existing games should be a base feature for purchased modules. +1 from me (I'd give all my pluses if I could. Other features seem like "quality of life" features, while making purchased content usable is the bare minimum.)
+1.&nbsp; Add-ons are so much easier to use than modules. I understand why people running multiple campaigns (possibly paid) may want modules that require you to create a new game for them, but I think most are more like me: I have dozens of assets, characters, handouts, API scripts in my existing campaign.&nbsp; It's MUCH easier to add a module into an existing game than it is to create a new game, transmogrify all assets over and copy all scripts into the new game.&nbsp; Plus copy over the game state so that you can continue where you left off, and not have to re-configure all those API scripts--some of which can be very complicated. This is in fact the reason I chose Tales of the Yawning Portal as my first 5e campaign--because it was the only 'long' campaign that was in the add-on format. I really feel that all adventures should be able to either add-ons or modules, so they can be used either way.&nbsp; I'm having a hard time imagining that the difference is so huge that this isn't possible.
+ 1 from me. I would love to see this.
As a pro member I have been wanting this option for awhile now! I’m running a campaign where I want to ad modules to it instead of starting a new game every time and inviting my players to every new game reloading all maps I need that have been created by me and jumping back and forth from game to game during a session depending on what my players do.
This! Something that would quite literally change the worlds... ^.^ +1
I have purchased modules in the past that I was able to add to an existing game and have recently bought a big bundle and can't add a single one of those modules to my game. Using the transmogrifier is NOT the option we should have to use to add that content. PLEASE change this "policy" and make all modules actual PLUG 'n' PLAY.&nbsp;
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Something to keep in mind with this suggestion is that the limitations are partly to "save us from ourselves".&nbsp; You can make games large enough that the amazon servers time out on copy functions, meaning that you can't copy the games and backups don't exist for rollbacks. So they do have good reason to not allow people to stack modules.&nbsp; As tech improves, it would be nice if they took a look at smaller modules and converted them to addons though.
Yes! Gods can we have this PLEASE
Plus one vote from me absolutely
Yes endorsement of this idea&nbsp;
+1 vote from me
+1 VOTE from me.&nbsp; Either the ability to use the full module, or better yet, be able to take out and use specific chapters or portions of it.&nbsp;&nbsp;
This is one of the major reasons I don't even bother to buy modules. And you can't even use Transmogrify if you don't have a Pro account. In that case you're just SOL.
Yes! +1
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
@Ben C - I love you
Yes, +1.
+1 Not being able to add a module to an existing game makes the module fairly useless.&nbsp; I'm not interested in starting a new game for every module I want to try out.&nbsp; I'll be refunding a module I bought since I can't use it in my game and in the future I will avoid purchasing modules unless I'm specifically planning to start a new game.&nbsp; I think you would see a revenue increase if you allowed Modules as Addons.
+1 billion... It's 2022, there's no reason whatsoever paying customers shouldn't be allowed to get full access to their purchased content on Roll20. (Not talking about the fancy lightning and API here, but the actual content we paid for) Once I realized the whole business model of Roll20 was to lock basic content behind a monthly subscription by making it as Module instead of Addons, I've stopped making purchases on Roll20... I just got access to my first pre-order on here yesterday (Journey through the Radiant Citadel), which I've pre-ordered pretty much only for the Citadel itself, I was super disappointed when I realised it was locked behind a Module... (managed to get a work around through support today) I honestly believe the number of paying customer Roll20 is losing due to that [REDACTED] business practice causes them more harm than the few dollars they manage to squeeze off of those who opt to roll with it and go Pro. I'm looking forward to the day where all Modules will be changed to Addons ;oP
Returning player and DM - this still havent been featured yet?&nbsp; Easily lost a customer on the Radiant module. It wont be long to find the needed map templates online and pdf to just build it from scratch in my current world. It's annoying but im not gonna have to send my players to another campaign and have 10+ campaigns + duplicate backup + set up campaign on my games directory. this is stupid. 2 years this post has been active... 2 fucking years - wake up roll20
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Novercalis said: It wont be long to find the needed map templates online and pdf to just build it from scratch in my current world. It's annoying but im not gonna have to send my players to another campaign and have 10+ campaigns + duplicate backup + set up campaign on my games directory. this is stupid. 2 years this post has been active... 2 fucking years - wake up roll20 If you have 10+ modules, you are likely to have a campaign that is so large the AWS server will time out on copy operations.&nbsp; This means that there is no backup for rollbacks and you can't copy the game for your own purposes either.&nbsp; This rule does have a purpose even if you don't approve.&nbsp; Even as things stand, people can get their games to that point simply by use of the transmogrifier. While I think they could probably look at turning some of the smaller modules into addons, being able to add anything and everything to an ongoing game would (at this point) create more problems than it would solve.
+1. I wonder how they'll handle this sort of thing with the Drivethru/OneBookshelf partnership? Will I have to create a new Roll20 campaign any time I want to use something I bought from Driverthru?&nbsp;
+1. Ideally you could just add any module to any game, that simple.
Having modules able to be added to existing campaigns is a must have and should have been done right from the start. The fact customers buy a module to add to their campaign only to find out they can't is ridiculous!
This really shouldn't have to be a suggestion. Roll20's current functionality prevents GMs from using purchased modules in ongoing games, forcing them to create a new game just to access the content. That's a failure of service.&nbsp;
Kraynic &nbsp;was the most recent poster that gave a very good reason that this ability isn't allowed. Kraynic &nbsp;said: If you have 10+ modules, you are likely to have a campaign that is so large the AWS server will time out on copy operations.&nbsp; This means that there is no backup for rollbacks and you can't copy the game for your own purposes either.&nbsp; This rule does have a purpose even if you don't approve.&nbsp; Even as things stand, people can get their games to that point simply by use of the transmogrifier.
I disagree with that. Kingmaker is in here as a Pathfinder AP. It's a massive thing that covers five books, with tons of maps, art, characters, etc. Saying that If you have too many will cause the server to time out is the reason to not allow this misses the point entirely. If that is a concern, they could limit the number of modules that can be added, but simply saying no modules can be added because if you get to 10+ it will mess things up is a poor response.
+1 vote from me. I bought Dragon Heist and the recommended follow on Dungeon of the Mad Mage. They are even sold together in a bundle, but you can't create a single game with them. Just plain silly. Trying to copy every single object using the Transmogrifier is too slow and painful, I mean, one at a time! Really?. Please fix
Definitely want this
I'd love this if it was possible. I've restarted GMing for a few friends. One thing I started with? Pathfinder 2e beginner box, which led to the Troubles in Otari module. There's also links to the Abomination Vaults campaign path. To be unable to have an easy solution to this beyond transmogrifying stuff over is sheer pain. The only other solution I can see is if I vault characters in the campaign, then transfer them to a new campaign with the stuff from the Abomination Vaults. I can see why there could be a size limit to games backed up by servers. However, there must be a solution to this. Maybe a content archive for the stuff that hasn't been clicked on in X days/months
yes
I would love this as we are just starting the 3 part adventure for Pathfinder 2nd Quest for the Frozen Flame which is made up of 3 adventures I have just be informed by support I will have to great a new adventure with the module then as a pro member transmogrify every thing across to the one running so to have to have to look forward to doing this twice more I shudder at the thought so "Make It So" Roll20 let us add adventures just like an addons. Regards
DnDPlay20
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Got my vote!
+1
Why can't they treat the parts of the module as individual addons? So there would be an add on for the maps, for the tokens, and for the journal stuff, for example.&nbsp; Then they put a limit on size of the maps, or of the total imagery, and only allow one journal add on.&nbsp; That would allow them to prevent campaigns from growing so large that it causes problems. I'd love to see the modules truly be modular, so I can add the pieces I want when I need them, and remove them when I'm done.
I would love to see this implemented!
I don't think Roll20 has that much to say about how modules are published.&nbsp; I would think that would be more on the publisher.
+1 vote from me as well. I would really like to be able to use purchased modules as I see fit. ANd be able to add things to my current games.
As much as I would love to see this, the publisher decides if they're selling it as a compendium module, or an add-on. They're even created differently, so I don't think Roll20 can do to much about it. It really is in the publisher's hands