Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Updated Dynamic Lighting and Seeing through Walls

Edited 1590143921
I'm new to roll20 and have been experimenting with the two versions of dynamic lighting. While I like the updated version (especially the explorer mode), I'm running into an issue that makes it a deal breaker for me. On the old system, as long as "only update on drop" is selected, my players can't see through any walls I have by pushing their tokens up against the wall. With the new system, I don't see any replacement for this option, and when the players are moving their tokens, if they push them up against a wall without dropping it, they can fully see through it as seen in this picture with a player holding their token next to a wall and being able to see through multiple walls. It's as though the system treats any part of the token's square passing through the wall as having sight beyond that wall, and yet only the center point of the token is blocked by the wall. If there was a way to only update on drop that would fix the issue but that doesn't seem to be an option in the new system. Is this working as intended, a known issue, or am I doing something wrong?
This is a known issue.  They actually posted a hotfix yesterday that said it fixed this problem, but it did not.  Several of us have posted messages regarding the issue but Roll20 has not responded in any way shape or form.  It think we are all paying to be Ghosted!  Is this True Nolan T. Jones?
Just upgraded to for dynamic lighting for my group and this is happening to me as well. Really sucks and kinda of breaks the immersion of the dynamic lighting. My players are doing their best to not push on walls and see through, but in the course of moving it happens, and when they do they can suddenly see through that door they were trying to listen at quietly. Any word on a fix for this happening anytime soon?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
People, please keep posting all UDl issue in the main UDL thread: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8422745/a-new-light-bug-thread-updated-dynamic-lighting-and-fog-of-war" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8422745/a-new-light-bug-thread-updated-dynamic-lighting-and-fog-of-war</a> Having all rapport in the same place makes things easier for them.
Andreas, we have been posting there.&nbsp; Just posted again this morning.&nbsp; Still waiting on a response of some sort.&nbsp; Interestingly, they put out a patch on the 19th that supposedly fixed this problem but it didn't.&nbsp; When I looked this morning, that Announcement of the patch is now GONE from the forums.&nbsp; So none of us know where this issue stands.
I have the same issue. I thought I was doing something wrong. It sort of defeats the purpose of the barriers. It seems like the vision does consider the edges of the token but the barrier only considers the mouse pointer.
i have just checked today and it seems to work now
I'm still using the legacy till it all gets worked out.
So I literally just paid for a subscription an hour ago. I'm familiar with Roll20, but the dynamic lighting is new to me. However it also appears this is an ongoing problem. So I just want to make sure its not me, my token in this screen shot is seeing through the dynamic lighting wall right? It's not suppose to do that, right?&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hard to tell from your screen shot, but here are some things to consider: Make sure DL lines are on the DL layer, tokens are on the token layer, and that Dynamic Lighting options are turned on for that page. GMs will always see through DL lines. Players cannot, depending on the page settings (ex. they may be set only to disallow movement, not Line of Sight). Selecting a token and pressing Cmd/Ctrl-L will show you an approximation of the token's Line of Sight. It is not a perfect representation of the token's vision, but it is close. It ignores secondary light sources, for example. The key command is meant to show LoS, not general vision. To see for sure what a token will see, the acid test is to create a&nbsp; Dummy Account , assign the token/character control to that account and log in under that account. That will give you the true player experience. You can use the Dummy Account in a separate browser or separate private browsing window to avoid confusing the browser. There are currently two lighting systems available Legacy (LDL) and Updated (UDL). UDL is still under development and is squashing some remaining (but serious) bugs. Avoid mixing the two systems. I would recommend LDL for the time being.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also, if the above advice isn't doing any good, posting screen shots of page and token settings is very helpful.

Edited 1594199069
I think i found the problem (for me anyway). You cant use thin lines when you draw the walls, anything bigger works fine.