Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How to prevent token from seeing through walls they bump against

John Clark
Pro
Marketplace Creator
So I'm using the new dynamic lighting, and the players just need to push their tokens against a wall I've drawn (with no gaps), and they can see the other side. I have restrict movement on so they can't move through, but they can glimpse the other side and with Explorer Mode on the other side remains visible. The first image is from the DM's view, the second image is what the player is seeing (the other side of the wall they can't get through. I've tried the largest line setting but it makes no difference. What am I doing wrong here, or is this just a bug? Thanks!  
The line width is only for a visual reference, the line itself is drawn as a vector between the two end points and has no thickness. I never had this issue with the legacy dynamic lighting and I have not played with the new system enough to have seen it. You could draw a double line along thin walls to give a second barrier for the line of sight.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
This is a known bug in UDL. 

Edited 1590540357
The Aaron said: This is a known bug in UDL.  Hey Aaron, would it be a hassle to script a API tool that would run in the background and automatically doubled a line set to max 'width' then offset the two lines by a few pixels? I don't think it would be worth the time now that I have tested the bug. the lines would have to be more than half a grid square appart for the double lines to block the area beyond.
John Clark
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Thanks for the update. Glad to know it's a bug. Not glad that there's a bug though. I've never been able to get the old system to work consistently, and the new systems works so well. I tried double lining, but it only works when rooms are not close to each other, and secret passageways get revealed no matter what. I guess we'll need to wait for a fix. 
I have the same issue and it really defeats the purpose of using the new lighting. The collision seems to only be checking for the center pixel and tokens can move halfway through walls, resulting in seeing into other rooms. Any news as to when this will get fixed?
They said it's "fixed" but I don't think it'll be actually fixed until update on drop is in place.
John Clark
Pro
Marketplace Creator
It wasn't fixed as of Saturday night. I ran a game, where I had to ask the players to let me move their tokens for them. But even I screwed up and revealed a room full of trolls on the other side of a closed door. 
so glad i found this thread!  doing my first game tonight and was checking maps.  it worked last week when i was doing a check, but this week i could see through walls i was up against at least now know its a bug and not me doing something wrong!! thank you
Any update on this?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There are some fixes in testing and refinement currently on the dev server.
Cheers keithcurtis, good to know.