Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Fate Condensed] Playing without character sheet visible

Hello! I'm relatively new at macros. I'm hoping to run a Fate Condensed game, using Roll20's newly implemented Fate Condensed character sheets , and would like to do so with people that don't have a lot of screen real estate. So, I'd like to minimize the necessity of keeping the character sheet showing. To that end, I've happily managed to implement a series of macros that make skill rolls, and they only show up when someone selects a character. I can also show the number of fate points a character has left on their token. These are great. Things I wish I could do: Display the number of physical and mental stress they have left Make a macro to gain a fate point, and another to spend a fate point Make a macro to take a physical stress hit Make a macro to take a mental stress hit Make a macro to recover all stress Anyone have any advice? Are these things even possible?

Edited 1592877306
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can only do the first one without a Pro description - macros can only read values, they can't alter or write values to sheets. You need the API for the other 3. For displaying physical and mental stress you just need the Attribute name from the sheet, then a macro along the lines of these Attribute calls to throw them into chat. You can link 3 character sheet Attributes to the 3 bars on the token, this allows for adjusting Attributes with a flat number, or with + and - modifiers, without opening the character sheet. You still need to adjust the values in the bars manually - macros output to the chat log and not to token bar fields.

Edited 1592923867
Thanks! That's super useful. If I can figure out how to do this, I might very well get a Pro subscription.  Oosh said: You can only do the first one without a Pro description - macros can only read values, they can't alter or write values to sheets. You need the API for the other 3. For displaying physical and mental stress you just need the Attribute name from the sheet, then a macro along the lines of these Attribute calls to throw them into chat. You can link 3 character sheet Attributes to the 3 bars on the token, this allows for adjusting Attributes with a flat number, or with + and - modifiers, without opening the character sheet. You still need to adjust the values in the bars - macros output to the chat log and not to token bar fields. In Fate Condensed, I'm not even sure how to reference the available stress boxes. Each box is the equivalent of 1 HP, and when people get hit, they mark off a box. In the token settings, I see that I can set a bar to mental_1  through 4 , or physical_1  through 4 , but I think each of those is just one of the boxes. It's not the number of boxes that are available or unavailable. Am I mistaken? If not, I'm not sure how to reference that in the token settings. Again, I'd be very interested in paying for Pro if I had an idea of how to modify a character's fate points and stress via macros. Can I setup macros via the API ? If anyone has a suggestion on how to go about this, I'd love to read it.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ah ok, sorry I'm not at all familiar with the game or the sheet - someone who plays it may have some workarounds for this. As far as I know, the API script ChatSetAttr should be able to modify any sheet Attribute via a macro, but I'm unsure how these checkboxes function. I'm sure someone around here plays Fate with a Pro subscription though!
I want to post an update on this issue, which continues to be a problem. But first, I have to acknowledge the amazing work that has been done to help with playing Fate on Roll20. Not only the brand new (and much-improved) Evil Hat character sheet, but also the posts that explain how @PG_YYZ made character sheets part of the background of the Roll20 map . They are truly impressive. To restate it, my problem with most character sheets on Roll20 is that they occupy a large part of the screen. If you have a multi-screen setup, it’s not a problem to pop out the character sheet onto a different screen, but most players do not. I usually solve these with a lot of token-specific macros, which allow you to (roll and) print to the chat a lot of the information on a token’s character sheet, and track some values (for Fate, physical and mental stress, as well as fate points) as numbers shown next to a token. However, the new Evil Hat character sheet has naming conventions that make those those variables very hard to read. Skills are defined by their rank, not by their skill name (eg Academics, Athletics, etc.). In addition, both the new Evil Hat character sheets and the old Roll20 ones name each stress box individually, so it’s hard to access the total stress box values (filled/available) via the token’s value bars. The @PG_YZZ notion of just making the character sheets part of the background is very helpful, but has two disadvantages. I can’t fit all the Fate Condensed skills there, and I can’t move between different maps then, since the character sheets would be on one map. Worse, the character sheets now use almost all the screen real estate, so there isn’t much room for a map. I realize that Fate isn’t a tactical map-focused game, but maps and images generally do help a lot both with immersion and in conveying a scene, and what’s the point of using Roll20 if you’re not sharing maps and images? I might as well use a google drive document that allows me to deal with the data much better. So, my question is, can anyone suggest a way to automatically access the information on the Evil Hat Fate Condensed character sheet so that: Players can click a macro button to roll fate dice and add the appropriate skill bonus from their character sheet? Players can print their Aspects and Consequences to the chat? The character token can display the current phsyical and mental stress taken and available?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
From the way you describe the sheet, I think you'd need a custom API solution for all three. The middle one might be possible with free-level macros. I think there's a Fate sheet thread, it would be a good idea to raise these issues in that thread. The designer could implement some of these features in the sheet directly.
If I were certain *I* could solve it with the API, I would be happy to try. As things stand, I'm not sure anyone else will, and I'm not sure I have the chops to do so myself, even though I am a (Python) programmer. GiGs said: I think there's a Fate sheet thread, it would be a good idea to raise these issues in that thread. The designer could implement some of these features in the sheet directly. I posted in the character sheet forum about this issue, and I'll post an update in that thread now as well. But if you could find the thread that you're referring to, I'd be happy to raise these issues there as well.
Great news!&nbsp; Check out this announcement from Fred Hicks. <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/pull/6981" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets/pull/6981</a> We should be able to now reference skills and stress tracks directly in macros as soon as this next patch is applied I will update my guide after GenCon online to reflect all the various changes I have made to my Roll20 interface &amp; the macros. Pascal
Yep! Fred Hicks was kind enough to respond to my feedback and address my concerns. He's a frightfully nice guy, with extremely fast turnaround on the feedback I offered. As the merge request shows, he even implemented a bunch of other details that might make macros easier and more useful.&nbsp;