Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Some Questions about customer sheets.

I have a few questions pertaining to me creating a slightly modified character sheet specifically before I upgrade from plus to pro. I am putting together some stuff for a homebrew campaign that will be mostly 5e, but in vastly different universe. 1) From what I understand to create a customer sheet I need to upgrade to the Pro Tier, If I Ever downgrade from that will I no longer be able to use the sheet anymore in an ongoing campaign? 2) Just how hard is it to make some minor changes to the standard roll20 sheet? a) such as changing some skill names b) Potentially adding some extra skills. c) Changing the Inspiration symbol to another image. ( not needed, but would be immersive) (i am aware that these functions can be handled by the by the Shaped character sheet, but that sheet seems really finicky in a lot of other capacities and I am more concerned about things running smoothly for players) 3) Players don't need to have pro accounts to be able to use such custom sheets correct? Thanks in advance for any answers.
1 &amp; 3) You can only use custom sheets if the GM has a Pro account. Players do not need Pro accounts. If your changes are not homebrew, you can request your changes get incorporated into the public sheets, after which you can drop the Pro subscription.&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Beginner%27s_Guide_to_GitHub" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Beginner%27s_Guide_to_GitHub</a> 2) You can find the sheet you want to modify in&nbsp; <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-character-sheets</a> &nbsp;and investigate how straightforward your changes would be. If you're just renaming things, you may be able to just find the value in the HTML or the translation key and simply modify that value in the HTML or your translation file. If you are adding a new skill, the complexity can vary greatly from sheet to sheet - see if you can identify how skills are added in your sheet. Sometimes it's a straightforward copy+paste of a single section of the HTML, but sometimes there are worker scripts and CSS that also relate to how a skill section works on the sheet. If you are adding a new image, you will have to host that image somewhere online and put the URL of that image into the sheet template.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
In addition to Zed's comments: Macfine said: 1) From what I understand to create a customer sheet I need to upgrade to the Pro Tier, If I Ever downgrade from that will I no longer be able to use the sheet anymore in an ongoing campaign? If you downgrade, you will be able to continue using the sheet. You just wont have the Custom Sheet option in the sheet selection dropdown any more. So, advice I always give: make several copies or new campaigns using the custom sheet before you downgrade. That way you have several backups you can use in case the main file gets corrupted, or you want to start a new campaign with the same rules. 3) Players don't need to have pro accounts to be able to use such custom sheets correct?&nbsp; This is correct. The GM (technically, the game's creator) is the only one that needs to be Pro. 2) Just how hard is it to make some minor changes to the standard roll20 sheet? a) such as changing some skill names b) Potentially adding some extra skills. c) Changing the Inspiration symbol to another image. ( not needed, but would be immersive) These vary greatly depending on the sheet. The last one will be easiest - just a matter of finding the url in the sheet's code and swapping it for the URL of the new image you want to use (all images must be uploaded somewhere). If you plan to use the 5e by Roll20 sheet, be aware that the code for that is locked away from prying eyes due to licensing issues. It is possible to find older code, but even in the last version of the publically available code, there were differences between the custom sheet version, and the version you select from the dropdown, due to behind-the-scenes additions the devs had added that are not available in custom sheets. So the custom sheet version isnt the same as the one you get from the dropdown. The shaped sheet on the other hand is in a format that is not very easy to edit.&nbsp; So if you are planning to use a 5e sheet, you might be better off picking one of the other sheets that was forked off the original 5e sheet, like Darker Dungeons (there are several, just naming one for example, not endorsing that one in particulat).
Thank you both that really gives me some good information. If I can't cleanly edit the good 5e sheet , i might just take the hit and run it as is. Basically I plan on running a Transformers based game. 5e's mechanics will really work well with a few small tweaks. changing some skill names would certainly increase immersion for players, but in the end if I just say Medicine = repair, roll that that It'll work. Its not going to be on earth, so surprisingly little needs to change mechanically. Change feet to meters/Yards and spells to tech.&nbsp; Gold to energon, etc. I was hopefully when I first did some searches and learned of the shaped sheet, but yeah it does look not nearly as neat and tidy for the players. I'll look into your suggestion for the forked sheets GiGs. Thank you for that suggestion. I'll way have to weigh out if it is worth my time + money to make the jump to setting up the sheet. I was really hoping I could just copy and past a few lines in on the 5e roll20 sheet as a pro member. It works so well, and simplifies so many things for players. I don't want to lose out on functionality in exchange for better representation.&nbsp; Maybe I can just work in some macro buttons instead. I'll have to to spend some time reviewing this options. Thank you both for your feedback.