Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP][D&D5e][Free][Homebrew][18+][Weekly][Experienced DM] Explorers of a New World- Sundays 7pm EDT

Edited 1594295333
Taking place in the earliest part of my homebrew's world. It is based loosely upon Monte Cooks Arcana Unearthed/ Evolved. The set up is the group is among the people from a doomed world magically transported to a new one to settle. All started as humans, but some were changed by the journey. Most of the races are here:&nbsp; <a href="https://superpowersthatbe.wixsite.com/questarrenrealms/au-related-races-" rel="nofollow">https://superpowersthatbe.wixsite.com/questarrenrealms/au-related-races-</a> &nbsp;and one player can be something along of an awakened animal would be an option as well, those are "The Locals" as well as the Faen races. Though again all the PCs&nbsp;will have been human, just merged into the body of a local through some mishap of the teleportation-type magic, while some others are transformed or simply remain human. The main goal of the game will be to build up the community, which in turn will allow for access different items, services &amp; such as it improves. It is largely a player driven set up, as I like to set up stories organically. I am a long time DM, all the way back to 2e, but somewhat new to Roll20 as I started a few months back for obvious reasons. Figured it could allow me to branch out beyond my local games with friends. Campaign will start as soon as I get at least 3 players. Will require a quick 1 on 1 test session with a pre-gen character to make sure it is a good fit, but I try not to be overly selective. Characters will start at 1st level using a slightly more powerful point buy than the one in the PHB, probably with a brief level 0 prelude. Anything else just ask. Updates: I lean towards a roleplaying as far as style as well as Xp awards. Due to some details about the setting Clerics will be very rare and have some restrictions, mostly related to Domains.
This seems like a really interesting setting I'd love to try and be a part of the world. I did a quick look through and I think I'd like to try a character who started as a rather pacifistic paladin (nature oriented) that struggles with transforming from human into the giant-kin race (Hu'Charad I believe) during their merge to the realm, wherein their personality is warped to the extent that they can't fully accept or control their destructive side/stronger emotions. My intent would be to end up taking a barbarian level and then adding levels to either paladin or barbarian intermittently depending on the roleplay that occurs. A little bit about me, I haven't had much experience as a player character as for the past 5-6 years I've GMed due to there being a much greater demand within my social circles for than then there was for players. I definitely prefer the roleplaying aspects to TTRPGs, so min-maxing and murder hoboing my way through scenarios isn't really my style. My timezone is Eastern Time and I currently have most days available if needed. If you need anything else you can also add/message me on Discord at CardHog#5371 as it will be more reliably seen and responded to, though I do check my inbox here daily.
Really like the character concept. Generally I am not overly fond of multiclassing, but the exception is when it is driven by a narrative rather than mechanics and the race/transformation is a very fitting reason. I don't go on Discord often but try to check here regularly. Can do a quick test game this Sunday &amp; from you wrote I am fairly sure that will merely be a formality.
I would be very interested in joining this game; I DMed Pathfinder for many years, but since my son was born, I’ve been unable to make time to create content. I love to role play, though, and this sounds like it would be exactly up my alley. I am not sure what race and class I’d play, though I’m partial to spellcasters or classes that have a mystical flair. Depending on the length of the campaign, I imagine I’d want to be some kind of mage who wishes to recreate our lost world on this one, no matter the cost! For a shorter game, or one in which that character would not gel well with the group, I’m open to brainstorming some character ideas.&nbsp; I’m pretty new to 5e, though I’ve read through the rules. I’m also new to Roll20; I hope none of that will be a problem. Thanks!
A test game this Sunday sounds good to me, feel free to PM me with any information you think I'll need!
Raul- I like the hook of being driven to recreate the previous world. As for mystical flair 5e is heavy with that, so it is just a matter of picking the one that fits best for you. The magical journey to the world could cause them to become a Sorcerer, or given the mission cause them to make a deal with an entity to become a Warlock. I am hoping to make it long form, though that depends on many factors. Being new to both is not a problem in my book. 5e is pretty easy as it is streamlined compared to other editions. Roll20 takes some getting used to but isn't to tricky, as long as you aren't deterred by the occasional technical difficulties. We can do a test game as well as go over any details this Sunday if you are available. CardHog- Will PM you soon. In the meanwhile feel free to ask any questions, either here or PM as fitting for the question. At least one more player would be preferred to start, but not needed as I feel it is quality over quantity. Plus I can work in other players in as the story goes. That being said, if you know anyone you think would be a good match please let them know.

Edited 1594295155
I am quite interested in joining your campaign, it looks quite exciting. As for character ideas, I prefer to wait until a session 0 and work co-operatively to make a well rounded group as i find I can enjoy roleplaying anything I create as long as I am useful :) But I have to admit the thought of a quickling, or an awakened primate does interest me. As for myself, I am 52 years old and playing D&amp;D since Advanced 1st edition and 5e since it came out. My schedule is static, and I am very reliable. I hope to hear from you soon. Be well, Dave
@Robert W: I'd love to do the test game. You said the characters would be premade for test game- is there any way I could get mine early so I can be sure to read up on all his/her mechanics? As for character creation for the main game, would you want to do that session 0, or can we start right away? What books are allowed? Anything forbidden? What would be the point buy? And as for backstory, do you have a place where we can read up on the history of the old world, or can we invent? Any notes on what that world was like?&nbsp; Thanks! And sorry for the barrage of questions! Looking forward to playing this Sunday! @CardHog: I love the conflicted paladin! As a matter of politeness, how much egging on would you be comfortable with from other PCs? If I end up playing the more ambitious mage, he may want to encourage your rages to his own ends- would that make you uncomfortable? I love roleplay like that creates some intercharacter conflict (things can get stale if everything is perfectly copacetic), but want to make sure I'm respectful of your character's journey too, and your own as a player. Thanks!
@Raul As long as it fits within the established narrative I have no issue with it and welcome any verbal manipulation of my character to create a weapon/tool for others! Would definitely drive some good story and interesting moments if you can find the right buttons to push. Though I hope you have no issue where the result of any egging on getting intense and/or very apparent may create hesitation when it comes to healing where not deemed absolutely crucial (alongside other similar IC consequences)
@CardHog- I love it. No resentment at all! Cool!
@Wandarer- Understandable to wait. Though either the quickling or primate will be uniquely useful in ways I won't spoil. If you are able to do Sunday we can work on any such details. Feel free to PM me.
@Raul- The pregen is basically a commoner. i think might work it into the game as your characters as children doing a test to gain your adult names.&nbsp; As for everything else the setting info as well as some class and background options can be found here:&nbsp;<a href="https://superpowersthatbe.wixsite.com/questarrenrealms" rel="nofollow">https://superpowersthatbe.wixsite.com/questarrenrealms</a> Though would recommend avoiding the setting info as the characters are so early in the history most of it is irrelevant and best not to have any preconceptions. The doomed world they will be coming from will be relatively low magic and roughly bronze age. I will send the Point Buy when I am next at my computer. Most class and backgrounds are fine, just run them by me to be on the safe side. Anything from Arcana Unearthed/Evolved style anyone wants I might be able to whip something up.
@CardHog &amp; @Raul That is great PC dynamics already. Really looking forward to how that plays out.
Point Buy w/30 Points Ability Score Point Cost 3 -5* 4 -4* 5 -3* 6 -2* 7 -1* 8 0 9 1 10 2 Ability Score Point Cost 11 3 12 4 13 5 14 7 15 9 16 12* 17 14* 18 16*

Edited 1594422331
Im pretty new to 5e Iv only played a few sessions but im interested in playing alot more and this seems amazing but it feels kind of overwhelming for me with all the new stuff so idk if id id be a good fit but im very interested in this
Kelga- I am not averse to novice players, as everyone starts that way at some point. Plus most of the other likely players are experienced and might be will to give you pointers as well as myself if you join. As for if it is a good fit, that is one of the reasons for the one on one game to make sure of that on both ends, not just for me as the DM but also for you as the player.&nbsp;
If people are willing to help me figure out all this new hombrew stuff id love to give that 1 on 1 a shot :)
@Robert W: Should we start making characters? I’ve got a few concepts I’ve been brewing, though some of them use UA stuff. I can send you links to the UAs I use. I won’t write any background yet, as we’ll be RPing youths, and I’d like to incorporate that. How deadly do you foresee the game being? Is making sure we’re optimized important, or will we be okay if we don’t have the absolute best scores in our main stats and highest save DCs? Again, sorry for the questions- these are the questions I’ve gotten asked, and I want to make sure I’m fitting in with everyone’s expectations. @Wandarer: One of my friends played during Advanced- I started in 3e. To show us just how different the game used to be, he ran us through a 3e Tomb of Horrors... thank the maker we were allowed backup characters. He taught me an important lesson- never jump into stone mouths... ever. Looking forward to playing with another veteran, even if I don’t make it past session 0!&nbsp;
@Kelga I can help you, as I it wasn't my intent to volunteer other people. Especially with any of the homebrew. Let me know if you are up for it &amp; I will not take it personally if you are not.
@Kelga: I’m no expert, but I got your back. Not sure if the 1-on-1s are private, but if they are, I don’t mind hanging around to give you a hand.&nbsp;
@Raul- Sure, just PM me with what you have in mind. I am not opposed to UA but definitely take them on a case by case basis. Just intend to do the part as youths for the one on one and then skip to them as adults when the game begins properly. Part of the prelude could still be as youths if the you all are OK with or happen to plan to be about the same age. It is also a good thing you brought up backgrounds since it reminds me that I am good with most backgrounds aside from those in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide which are case by case, I also have some homebrew options here:&nbsp; <a href="https://superpowersthatbe.wixsite.com/questarrenrealms/backgrounds" rel="nofollow">https://superpowersthatbe.wixsite.com/questarrenrealms/backgrounds</a> &nbsp;Though not all make sense for this setting/era.&nbsp; Deadliness is a tricky one to answer. Generally I prefer to avoid arbitrary death and prefer a more story fitting one. That being said I also don't like plot armor, so if you pick a fight with a dragon there is a good chance it won't end well. Similar answer on the second: While I am generally opposed to Min-Maxing I am also not fond of the opposite because while I like flawed characters I also think it makes sense that the character chose a path befitting their natural abilities. Though generally as long as the player is not intentionally making a game breaking character I leave it to them. Long story short though my strong preference is a good character in the literary sense rather than the literal sense. Never worry about asking too many questions with me. Questions are good in my book in general &amp; especially at this point when such information is most important as I know that there are things I would have forgotten to mention otherwise.
@Raul @Kenga I prefer to have to 1 on 1 just be Player &amp; DM, but after that I am more than fine with an experienced player showing guidance a new player. To me that is part of what makes the game great.
@Robert im definitely up for it :)
Hey there, no idea if i'm a bit late to the party but i'm loving the general concept and vibe of this campaign. To throw a concept out there, i'd be interested in playing a Litorian Fighter, trying to start this world in the right direction, and driving it away from the greedy yoke of the old empires, this is a very crude concept of course, as i'd like to know more about the specific lore of the world before the one we are warping to, and i'd get all the kinks hammered out as i find out more of the lore before the first session. One way or the other, i'm excited to see what you came up with, and what the party gets up with, with the great deal of freedom in this campaign and all.
@Geronimo L. Not too late as haven't started and my preferred group size is 3-5 so still within that. I like the concept though the previous world was not a one of empires... but funny you mention that as the new one could be destined to be. I realize that I have been overly mysterious with the old world, so let me fix that.&nbsp; The world they are leaving has been a simple an peaceful one for generations. Scattered small town sized communities that do trade with each other. The peace and prosperity is mostly due to their World-God and its chosen servants. They're world is like a bronze-age Eden where they had to survive &amp; create mostly on their own, but had the literal planet's help: so no earthquakes, floods, or huge predators. Though it was also it's will that kept them relatively low population. The communities vary a bit depending on location &amp; will figure that part out collaboratively for the PCs specific community.
Just wondering but when will the 1 on 1 sessions be taking place?
@Kelga- Hoping to do them all tomorrow, bit I'm also free.most of Tuesday. What times work for you?
@Robert W. Thanks for the info, it sounds like you've got stuff figued out, it does help me with my concept. For some reason i assumed that the previous world was very advanced, i wonder what happened to it that made us jump to another one (or of it even was intentional, we'll see). I think i'll stick with Litorian Fighter, but spin it in the directiom of that he's one of the few that was quick to accept the change of worlds, mostly because he felt like there was something missing in their previous one, namely challenge. And assuming that i'm in the campaign (which i'm not sure of), i'd be free for sunday or maybe tuesday evening, feel free to go ahead and hut me up for whatever details you may need.
@Robert Tomorrow at 6EDT should work for me :)
@ Geronimo L. Sounds good. As for the assumption of the previous world that is partially my fault for not providing that information earlier.&nbsp; &nbsp;Litorian Fighter sounds good to me. The aspect of challenge is a good motivator, especially in the new &amp; unknown world they will be in. What is your window for Tuesday evening?
@Kelga Would you be able to do 8pm or so? Got invited to have dinner with my family.
@Robert I should be able to do 8pm

Edited 1594498347
@Robert unless youre free later today ?
@Robert, depends on the length of the 1-on-1, Tuesday is the one day where it might conflict with sometjing else. But if it finishes before 9:30pm EST, i should be good. If it doesn't, i'm able pretty much for the rest of the week. Btw, no problem about the communication problems, tends to happen in post-by-post stuff like roll20 :)
@Kelga Sorry I am not free tonight. If 8 tomorrow doesn't work for you we can figure out another time or day. No worries. @Geronimo L. It should only take an hour or so &amp; I have plans myself at 8. If you could do 7 pm or a little before that would work.
@Robert&nbsp; tomorrow at 8pm works for me
@Robert, this Tuesday at 7 pm sounds great. Do i need to have anything ready, like my character's backstory fully fledged, a token for them or stuff like that? That aside, i'd like to run some UA that i may be using, should i do this whenever i'm able or after the one-on-one session? Apologies for the rapid fire questions, this just sounds like a great time and i want to get everything straight.
@Geronimo L. You don't need anything ready, though anything like that could be worked in so feel free to let me know. For that sort of thing and what UA content you are interested in just PM me to so the thread doesn't get overloaded with that and in case any elements should be a surprise to the other PCs. No need to apologize, if anything I appreciate the questions.
Quick question about the point but: anything with an * next to it can’t be purchased? Wondering if I’m allowed to purchase a 16 on a stat.
Oops! Sorry. One more- Variant Human allowed, or standard Human only?
The asterisk is merely showing the ones outside the standard point buy, they are allowed.&nbsp; The variant human in PHB is allowed, any others just run by me.
Here comes another question. Do we know when is the one-on-one? As in timeline wise, in the old world during our childhood, the first days in the new world? More curious than anything, just to know when to place it in my character's backstory.
Old world during childhood. Between 8 &amp; 13.