Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Updated Lighting Suggestion - Darkness Threshold Value

I just read that you will be having "Regular" Darkness and "Permanent" Darkness. I like this plan for covering situations where the darkness absolutely cannot be overcome.  However, in games like Pathfinder, there is something called Greater Darkvision which allows creatures to see through Regular Darkness and Greater Darkness (Utter Darkness in RoleMaster). SUGGESTION Darkness Levels: 0-5 0 = No Darkness (0 Opacity) 1 = Twilight (25% Opacity) 2 = Shadows (50% Opacity) 3 = Nornal Darkness (75% Opacity) 4 = Utter Darkness (100% Opacity)  5 = Permanent Darkness (100% Opacity and cannot be bypassed) Dark Vision Levels: 0-5 0 = No Dark Vision (normal humans) 1 = Low-Light Vision (-25% Opacity) 2 = Dark Vision (-50% Opacity) 3 = Greater Darkvision (-75% to Opacity) 4 = Uber Darkvision (-100% Opacity, but won't modify Darkness Level 5) 5 = GM Vision (-100% Opacity, including Darkness Level 5)

Edited 1596258683
I absolutely agree there should be some GM control on the opacity of vision levels. Dim light is still too bright for my liking. This is the main thing keeping me from updating at this point. My current settings for my 5e players with darkvision on Legacy dynamic lighting is Emits light 60ft (the limit of their darkvision) and Start of Dim at -300ft, so that they are able to see out 60ft, but because of the gradient, it is hard to actually see, this helps me prevent my players from metagaming the map because darkvision should still give them disadvantage on perception checks, and I think it should be as difficult for my players to see as it is for their characters. 
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .