Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Fix New Dynamic Lighting to follow the D&D5e definitions for Darkvision

The New Dynamic lighting doesn't support DarkVision (dim light up to 60 feet). 1. The characters vision should be dim light, until they encounter a bright light source 2. Two dim lights should make Bright light. So the dim light from a light source should turn to bright light when a darkvision character sees it.
+1. This should be added if it's not already there.
+1
Magnar S.
Pro
API Scripter
And likewise, the global illumination should be able to be set to dim light.

Edited 1596648397
But it also needs to apply "black & white only" for this type of night vision (except where it overlaps with a torch).

Edited 1596724481
Titus
Plus
I don’t mind the lack of B&W (but it would be cool if possible.) I just don’t understand what they men by Feature Parity since this (overlapping dims/night vision) is core to my (and likely a lot) of 5e games out there. Hopefully they can get this worked out soon.
Farling said: But it also needs to apply "black & white only" for this type of night vision (except where it overlaps with a torch). In the current new version they added color tinting, so setting the color to black gives them a dark grey tint to everything. So "black & white" is sort of already there. Note: setting different colors for each character creates crazy venn diagrams all over the place, because overlapping colors generate different colors.
+1 I won't switch over until it handles 5e darkvision.  The old system handles it perfectly well with a 60 foot circle of dim light others can't see.  It stacks on existing dim light to equal bright light, works perfectly.
+1
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Desecrator 7 said: Farling said: But it also needs to apply "black & white only" for this type of night vision (except where it overlaps with a torch). In the current new version they added color tinting, so setting the color to black gives them a dark grey tint to everything. So "black & white" is sort of already there. Note: setting different colors for each character creates crazy venn diagrams all over the place, because overlapping colors generate different colors. There are at least two problems with the tinting. It uses subtractive color mixing. This is the kind of color mixing you get from physical stuff like paint (red + green = brown). Real light uses additive color mixing (red + green = yellow). If two tinted areas overlap, the overlapping area is black, and you cannot see the map at all.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
For everyone who does not like the current implementation, I would suggest making your voice heard in the bug thread. In the past, changes to the VTT have just gone forward unless enough people raise their voices (i.e. page zoom rewrite, previous Dynamic Lighting rewrite, token bars).&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8422745/a-new-light-bug-thread-updated-dynamic-lighting-and-fog-of-war" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8422745/a-new-light-bug-thread-updated-dynamic-lighting-and-fog-of-war</a>
+1

Edited 1599924466
+1 I am having the same issue. My players are in a dark house and their darkvision should only give them dimlight, but instead when they walk into a room the whole room is lit up brightly. I tried to tint their darkvision to solve the problem, but when their darkvisions overlap on my screen I can't see their tokens. Update: I made a quick work around. Create an object (small and unnoticeable like a rock) and give the object an "aura" under basic token settings and make the aura dark grey or black and have it cover the whole screen. It isn't perfect but it works. Making a second dark grey or black aura will deepen the effect.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Chuck F. said: Update: I made a quick work around. Create an object (small and unnoticeable like a rock) and give the object an "aura" under basic token settings and make the aura dark grey or black and have it cover the whole screen. It isn't perfect but it works. Making a second dark grey or black aura will deepen the effect. You may find that you need to make several of them and use square auras to cover the map with a series of aura "tiles".&nbsp; I have found that if the center/origin of the aura is off the screen, that entire aura vanishes.

Edited 1599932162
Kraynic said: Chuck F. said: Update: I made a quick work around. Create an object (small and unnoticeable like a rock) and give the object an "aura" under basic token settings and make the aura dark grey or black and have it cover the whole screen. It isn't perfect but it works. Making a second dark grey or black aura will deepen the effect. You may find that you need to make several of them and use square auras to cover the map with a series of aura "tiles".&nbsp; I have found that if the center/origin of the aura is off the screen, that entire aura vanishes. Oh my gosh, thank you so much. I was having this problem and was trying to figure out what waas causing it and how to fix it. Thank you so much! And it came at the perfect time too, my game is in an hour and I wanted to set up a spooky apartment building. Update: Yeah it doesn't really seem to work when zoomed in unless the object is right in the field of the player's screen. Everytime the player moves their screen out of the object you can clearly see the aura disappearing. And creating too many objects just causes overlap or odd sections to just appear bright. Like lights are turning on behind them.
+1 Chuck F. said: Kraynic said: Chuck F. said: Update: I made a quick work around. Create an object (small and unnoticeable like a rock) and give the object an "aura" under basic token settings and make the aura dark grey or black and have it cover the whole screen. It isn't perfect but it works. Making a second dark grey or black aura will deepen the effect. You may find that you need to make several of them and use square auras to cover the map with a series of aura "tiles".&nbsp; I have found that if the center/origin of the aura is off the screen, that entire aura vanishes. Oh my gosh, thank you so much. I was having this problem and was trying to figure out what waas causing it and how to fix it. Thank you so much! And it came at the perfect time too, my game is in an hour and I wanted to set up a spooky apartment building. Update: Yeah it doesn't really seem to work when zoomed in unless the object is right in the field of the player's screen. Everytime the player moves their screen out of the object you can clearly see the aura disappearing. And creating too many objects just causes overlap or odd sections to just appear bright. Like lights are turning on behind them. You can also select your map "token", change it's tint to black, then move it back to the map layer, if you want to do it to the whole map.
Hey, everyone! If you haven't heard, we added a new night vision option called "Nocturnal" that&nbsp;mimics the DnD5e and PF2e rules for Darkvision. It's live for everybody now, so check it out! Thank you for your suggestions and your patience. To enable Nocturnal mode: Go to Token Settings. Enable Night Vision. Choose Nocturnal from the Night Vision Effect dropdown. You can choose a color from the Tint Color box above the dropdown.