Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can't drop tokens into map

Since yesterday I've been unable to drop tokens onto my maps in any of my games. I play in a game run by someone else and can drop the tokens I control onto the map just fine, so it seems exclusive to my games. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Just to eliminate the usual suspect: You are dragging by the name and not the handle?
Dave F. said: Since yesterday I've been unable to drop tokens onto my maps in any of my games. I play in a game run by someone else and can drop the tokens I control onto the map just fine, so it seems exclusive to my games.  Are you running UDL or Legacy? Because I've been testing out UDL today and I can't drag any tokens onto maps if they were legacy tokens. I have to select an existing token, make sure the UDL settings are correct, and then make that token the default for the character in order for drag and drop to work again.
@kiethcurtis Yep, dragging by the name @Jay R. That might be it. I'm running legacy but I updated one of my maps to see how it worked. It was super glitchy and kept showing distorted images in the greyed out parts of the map so I didn't update anything else.
So I updated all maps and tokens to UDL and the lighting glitch is gone, but I still can't drop characters or creatures onto any of my maps. I'm very frustrated because I'm going to have to cancel our game this week because I can't prepare any scenarios. I've lost 2 days of DM prep time from this.
Honestly, if this doesn't get fixed in the next few days I'm going to stop paying for a pro account. We've been playing this game for months and it's one of the few regular social interactions I have while quarantining from covid. Dynamic lighting isn't worth the aggravation, I'll put hidden tokens on the GM layer or make dark shapes I can delete over the map and call it a day. I paid more than the book costs to run the R20 version of the adventure, I pay for a map patreon to have nicer maps than WotC supplied, and I spend a bunch of time building maps and making encounters to flesh out the campaign. Now because of a poorly executed update I lose out on doing that this week and until who knows when. What a waste.
Have you tried both Firefox and Chrome? Have you tried in a Private Browsing / Incognito browser session? Are you dragging from the Journal or from a Compendium?
In Chrome, on a PC and a Mac. Dragging from the journal like I have been for months. Just tried it in Safari and in an icognito Chrome window to no avail. Rabulias said: Have you tried both Firefox and Chrome? Have you tried in a Private Browsing / Incognito browser session? Are you dragging from the Journal or from a Compendium?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
And you did convert all the tokens using the converter?  Or did you convert them manually?  Are you sure all the LDL settings are off on the token(s) you are testing with?
I converted using the converter, I don't see how to do it manually. Kraynic said: And you did convert all the tokens using the converter?  Or did you convert them manually?  Are you sure all the LDL settings are off on the token(s) you are testing with?
BTW there are over 200 tokens in this game. No way am I manually converting all of them. Kraynic said: And you did convert all the tokens using the converter?  Or did you convert them manually?  Are you sure all the LDL settings are off on the token(s) you are testing with?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Just thought it would be good to make sure.  Maps had been specifically mentioned but the tokens hadn't (or I missed it).  It might be worth creating a new map with no dynamic lighting at all and seeing if you can drag tokens to that.  You might also try copying the game to see if the copy behaves differently. If none of that works (and maybe even if it does), you really should submit a ticket in the Help Center with a link to your game so they can inspect it to see what has gone wrong in it. 

Edited 1596933023
I tried making a new generic game with no dynamic lighting at all and the tokens I made in that game worked. I'll try copying the game later. Already submitted a ticket. Thanks for all of the advice folks, I appreciate the recommendations even if it hasn't solved this yet. Kraynic said: Just thought it would be good to make sure.  Maps had been specifically mentioned but the tokens hadn't (or I missed it).  It might be worth creating a new map with no dynamic lighting at all and seeing if you can drag tokens to that.  You might also try copying the game to see if the copy behaves differently. If none of that works (and maybe even if it does), you really should submit a ticket in the Help Center with a link to your game so they can inspect it to see what has gone wrong in it. 

Edited 1597013330
OMFG I edited the character sheet for a PC and updated the token to one that was already on a map and now it works I HAVE TO EDIT OVER 200 TOKENS IF I WANT TO GO BACK TO PLAYING MY GAME NOW. This is going to take HOURS. I am fuming at the incompetence of this broken update. This is some BS of the highest order. I also have no way to add creatures to this game unless they've already got an existing token.  >:(

Edited 1597014197
I used the Roll Back feature to go back to Wednesday before I tried updating the lighting and got it working again. I lost a lot of time spent adding/modifying maps and lost prep time this week, but at least the game is working again. UGH.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Possibly related - I've noticed when duplicating items in the Journal (for example, making a copy of a beast so one can be used for Polymorph or Wildshape), the renamed copy won't drop a token on the canvas. Not even the silhouette "no token art". Changing the default token back to the correct art, then dragging another copy onto the canvas will drop a token, plus tokens for all the attempted drags from when the (copy of monster) journal entry had no default token. It might be a similar issue, where the dynamic lighting conversion is giving the journal entry some kind of error for the token art, instead of "none". Dragging it onto the canvas tries to place a token, but it seems to fail at that point - placing nothing instead of the placeholder art.
This sounds like another case of - avoid UDL until it is properly working!
Dave F. said: I used the Roll Back feature to go back to Wednesday before I tried updating the lighting and got it working again. I lost a lot of time spent adding/modifying maps and lost prep time this week, but at least the game is working again. UGH. Glad you were able to get your game working again. The not being able to drop tokens on a map thing is a dealbreaker for switching over. I'd have to go through and re-add hundreds of tokens just to get them working correctly with UDL. I'm also trying to figure out how UDL is an improvement on Legacy, when there is no true feature parity, the performance and stability are worse, and there are so many bugs great and small, but I suppose that's another conversation. 

Edited 1598413954
This .. *might* be my issue as well?  Lots of characters have lost their default tokens (including a bunch of spell templates).  I did convert one page, but I didn't have all those spell templates on the page.  Pretty bonkers. Double-checking, there's still "a token" but no picture, won't drag, and like mentioned above, all the attempts to drag show up as soon as a real image/token is attached.  I've fixed all the ones I've found by dragging the Portrait, editing, deleting the blank token, then resizing and assigning the portrait image as the token again.