Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[13th Age Legacy] Sheet / CSS broken after PR from Seraaron

Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
I've just started writing a guide on how to edit/update existing sheet on Roll20, that will bring up things to consider in different situations, as well as have a checklist to go through before submitting an update, to have a better chance on avoid many of the things that occurred here. Andreas Guide to Improving Existing Sheets will be split up in the following sections: How Roll20 handles PRs Expanded Submission Checklist Change Considerations p.1: Sheet Author/Maintainers Change Considerations p.2: The Existing Users Change Considerations p.3: Programming I'll update this post with a link when it's done, and will create a new thread for discussing it when I have the first version down. The intention is that it should  1) through the extended checklist provide a short version to avoid most common fumbles 2) be comprehensive enough to cover most cases & considerations when updating a sheet from the different perspectives, and give concrete suggestions on what to do & how to contact sheet maintainers.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thats a great idea.

Edited 1600561230
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Andreas' Guide to Sheet Development I'm already regretting spending time on this. It's Non-technical, and just goes through a bunch of things one should could consider depending on what you intend to do, most of which feels like common sense, but at the same time clearly isn't.

Edited 1600556045
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It's a great article. However, there's an error in your primary checklist: point 2 is: 2. Do you have the approval of this update by the sheet author/active maintainer, or been in contact with the latest contributor? This is preceded by saying points 1-7 are the same checks asked about when making Pull Requests. But this option is not on the list at the repo, and should not be presented as a requirement. It is explicitly not a requirement, and should be completely removed, or be rephrased and moved down to the Secondary, more optional checklist. People are absolutely not required to consult with sheet maintainers and previous contributors, nor is it even recommended anywhere  in the official requirements. Attempts to insert such a requirement are counter to the way the github operates. It's nice  when people consult with the maintainer of an actively maintained sheet, and can avoid some problems, but it is not a requirement and it shouldnt be presented as one. We do not own anything we post there, and we do especially not have control over them. I say this as a creator of two sheets on the github, who would not like it if some random user came in and changed stuff, but accept that is just the way the roll20 repo is set up, and it has worked very well to build a huge repository of character sheets. 
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
It's a great article. However, there's an error in your primary checklist: point 2 is: 2. Do you have the approval of this update by the sheet author/active maintainer, or been in contact with the latest contributor? This is preceded by saying points 1-7 are the same checks asked about when making Pull Requests. Hm, think that might comes from me re-ordering a bunch of things, I'll take a look later. Didn't think that much about the order of those thing in the checklist, giving them numbers just makes it easier to refer to individual point on my list, but I also literally placed my name in the title of the page, so the guide is clearly not an objective or official list/guide. I'm also pretty sure I start the article with a comment implying that what I'm saying there is more of a pipe dream than a reality, and I don't do all those things myself either. Thanks for the feedback.
David
Sheet Author
Richard T. said: I wasn't sure if this warrants a topic in the suggestion page but it would be nice to have a system in place to send a message/notification to game-owners using particular sheets.  This has been brought up many times and the response is usually either silence,  "you don't own anything" or "you are stifling open source" 
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
David said: Richard T. said: I wasn't sure if this warrants a topic in the suggestion page but it would be nice to have a system in place to send a message/notification to game-owners using particular sheets.  This has been brought up many times and the response is usually either silence,  "you don't own anything" or "you are stifling open source"  I don't remember ever seeing the last two, and they probably wouldn't be relevant to this particular suggestion since if I read Richard correctly, he's talking about roll20 managing notifications, not sheet authors. I think that would make a great Suggestion.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Remember I was at one point considering making a script or something that would compile a list for all the character sheets and would show hyperlinks to the sheet's authors roll20 profile, along with a link to the sheet's source code folder, in case there might exist a readme file or something else helpful for the sheet.