Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Trying to use Its a trap! to make a magic mirror but experiencing problems

So my players are in a haunted mansion with mirrors everywhere and I wanted images to appear in some of the mirrors when PCs are nearby. I can do this manually, moving the images from the GM layer, but I thought it would be great to automate using Its a trap! (which I love very much!) The problem I have is that if I make Its a trap! speak only to GM, the players cannot see the revealed token upon activation (even if I tell it to move token to map/object layer, it just doesn't). If I make the results visible to players, they also see the trap indicators (web etc.) and my area of effect rectangle. This ruins the spooky effect. Does anyone know if there's a way around this? Or whether there's a different API I could be using to get this effect to work? Thanks in advance
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
Moving a token to the Map layer will hide the token markers - I'm not sure beyond that. I can give it a few trials - I used it to move Shambling Mounds out of hiding, so I'm not sure what's missing to make what you're trying to do happen... let me go look at my old code. 

Edited 1600563037
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
Okay, I just tried it again - I just had the token markers on it - you could move it to the map layer, which hides the token markers. Just set the token to "front" in the layers first (try it on the map layer first), and then move it to GM and set it up for "It's a trap!"  I used a five second delay to allow a sound to play via API when it appeared, so instead you could use the tokenmod api to swap object layers instead of using what's in Its A Trap. Here's my JSON script from the token:  {"effectShape":"rectangle","stopAt":"edge","type":"hidden monster","message":"A Shambling Mound erupts from the ground in front of you!","delay":"5","revealWhenSpotted":true,"revealLayer":"objects","fx":{"name":"FairyFire","offset":[0,0]},"sound":"Monster roar by Groovy81","spotDC":14} You could use this, set the revealLayer to "map" instead of "objects". I also used the FX with a custom FX definition to put an effect on the tabletop when the script fires too. 
Thanks, i'll definitely give this a try!