Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Allow us to more selectively restrict the compendium

Allow us to choose what parts to share with our players from a module/rulebook under compendium settings, its great we can enable and disable sharing, but if we want to share selective content please allow us to do so.  Ex: VGTM: let us EXCLUDE our players from being able to access the monsters but ALLOW them to use the race options in charactermancer.   There is a difference between enabling my players to look things up by providing them the resources and between them looking something up out of their own volition. Those are two separate things.  Trying to keep my players from information vs supplying the information to them are different things, By owning the books and having them in my game I'm giving them a resource to use to look those things up. Surprisingly not every monsters stat block exists on google. By owning the book and being unable to exclude my players from seeing the stat blocks, while they browse the compendium for other valuable resources provided by the players handbook or magic items etc., is far fetched to me. it's essentially me providing my players with the tools to meta game, and that is not something that should be an option.   "the players own it themselves and can use it anyway" Under game settings I have the option to make that entire module 'unavailable' for anyone in the game, regardless of if they own the content. This suggestion is suggesting that they allow us to be able to exclude only players from accessing specific parts of the modules, not from the entire game in general. This also goes in line with the other threads suggesting they, better, organize the compendium. Being able to categorize things as monsters, races, charactermancer info, items, rules, etc. would also further the organization of the compendium. I don't understand any reason for them not to implement this change, while it may not seem important to some, being able to select things and enable/disable alternate rulings, race access, magic items, etc is good to keep the mystery of the game for some as well as to make it easier to deal with inexperienced players. this change would organize the compendium into a more usable state, while also giving DM's the tools they want to be able to easily implement tabletop in person elements into their games. 
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .