Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Regional Pricing

It would be a good idea to set prices according to country locations. As prices are in US Dollars, for some countries it could be quite prohibitive. I.E from Argentina (where I am from) 40 dollars is around 10% of the average Monthly income. My suggestion will be to see where the user is from or use the policy as other games (Steam, FG) does so more people can have access to Roll20 Content. 
I agree with the request, they are almost prohibitive prices for salaries in Argentina
Great idea. I Agree.
That'd be cool and I'd buy way more that way! 
We really need this, there is a lot of people that can't access this great service in all LATAM! 
Completely agree. 
It's a logical request, a 100 dollar bundle is about a monthly salary here.
I agree, it would make it far more accesible for Lat Am countries. It worked spectacularly in Steam. 
We'd really appreciate this. Please!
Great idea!
Agree, i have already more than 300hours in roll20, so that´d be cool.
Great idea. I Agree
Totally agree with all!
Totally agree!
Totally agree with this idea
Completely agreed.
I AM AGREE !!! <3 

Edited 1606507377
I agree, it's almost imposible to buy something here in Argentina, buying only one book here it's almost a salary
Absolutely agree. The medium salary in LATAM Is 1/10 of North American. Roll should't be luxury
YES, PLEASE, Argentinians Will THANK YOU A LOT
Agreed 100%!!!
Individual creators would have to eat the difference and licenses would probably not allow this. The expenses where products are created largely determine the cost. The service is basically free as it is, it seems like you are asking creators to work for free.
Fantasy Grounds has REgional PRicing on Steam. The sheer amount of people that will pay less money for content (not for subscription) will absolutely do for  the lower price. 
Totally agreed, here 40USD is an unthinkable amount of money to spend in this, unless you're rich. And here rich people don't play D&D, here rich people just steals to be richer :(
I agree with this, wholeheartedly. Regional pricing worked for many other platforms, consoles and services for us. What is lost in pricing is made up in volume. Some time ago, a person with average income could afford to mantain maybe one, at best two services or subscriptions to back up a hobby. Regional pricing changed that for a lot of us. It also lowers barrier of entry, since bringing more people to this platform is less attractive when facing the price, especially if they already spend in another hobby. Kind of the reason why I ended up using FG instead, once the price was adjusted, even though I keep hearing awesome things about Roll20.
Ignacio G. said: I agree with this, wholeheartedly. Regional pricing worked for many other platforms, consoles and services for us. What is lost in pricing is made up in volume. Some time ago, a person with average income could afford to mantain maybe one, at best two services or subscriptions to back up a hobby. Regional pricing changed that for a lot of us. It also lowers barrier of entry, since bringing more people to this platform is less attractive when facing the price, especially if they already spend in another hobby. Kind of the reason why I ended up using FG instead, once the price was adjusted, even though I keep hearing awesome things about Roll20. Same as most of us do. Roll 20 rocks but is completely unattainable for most of LATAM users. FG through steam costs one fifth or even less. In example Alien RPG bundle costs 40 dollars (4300 Argentinian Pesos), While the same bundle costs 400 Argentinian Pesos in Steam or even less. 
Agree!
100% agree Steam showed that localizing prices will make the consume grow
Totally agree! 
Excelent idea. I Agree!
Agree, 100% would love to buy more
Agree, dolar price is ridiculous to only play 4 sessions a month.
Agree
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Steam and FG are a false comparison. In both cases, they are selling you software that you download, install, and run on local resources.  After the point of sale, they have no costs associated with your purchase (beyond fractions of a penny, if that much, should you happen to download the software again). Roll20 has real costs associated with each user, both active and inactive, which don't change based on geographic location.  They pay for infrastructure to host the games. They pay for storage of assets and game data. They pay for bandwidth transferring those assets to each connected player for each session. They pay for hosting and streaming music.  They pay for audio and video servers. And they already give all of that away for free to millions of free accounts.  All of those accounts are subsidized by Plus and Pro Subscriptions, which also pay for features which have larger real costs, which in turn those accounts have access to, as well as features that encourage subscribers, which continues to subsidize those free accounts. A better comparison would be Google Docs.  It's a similar sort of infrastructure, and it's free (to a point) to anyone that wants the make an account.  Roll20 is like a Google Docs for playing RPGs.  However, Google Docs is not Google's only product.  Their full suite brought in 162 billion dollars in 2019.  They're also a major employer, with over 100,000 employees, so they can afford to give Google Docs away to everyone, especially since they sell it as a private package to large companies.  Unfortunately, there isn't really a market that I know of for Roll20's software to be licensed to big corporations for big money, so it must be paid for by the subscriber model. If you want to make an argument for country-based pricing, which I'm completely in favor of , that's situation you need to find a solution for.
I find this would be a nice outreach move for people in... less affluent countries. At least as long as implementing it doesn't involve more money than what would enter from new customers. I'm not expecting you to adjust the price of subscriptions, but adjusting the price of marketplace items would be good enough. All in all, I support this suggestion.
The Aaron said: Steam and FG are a false comparison. In both cases, they are selling you software that you download, install, and run on local resources.  After the point of sale, they have no costs associated with your purchase (beyond fractions of a penny, if that much, should you happen to download the software again). Roll20 has real costs associated with each user, both active and inactive, which don't change based on geographic location.  They pay for infrastructure to host the games. They pay for storage of assets and game data. They pay for bandwidth transferring those assets to each connected player for each session. They pay for hosting and streaming music.  They pay for audio and video servers. And they already give all of that away for free to millions of free accounts.  All of those accounts are subsidized by Plus and Pro Subscriptions, which also pay for features which have larger real costs, which in turn those accounts have access to, as well as features that encourage subscribers, which continues to subsidize those free accounts. A better comparison would be Google Docs.  It's a similar sort of infrastructure, and it's free (to a point) to anyone that wants the make an account.  Roll20 is like a Google Docs for playing RPGs.  However, Google Docs is not Google's only product.  Their full suite brought in 162 billion dollars in 2019.  They're also a major employer, with over 100,000 employees, so they can afford to give Google Docs away to everyone, especially since they sell it as a private package to large companies.  Unfortunately, there isn't really a market that I know of for Roll20's software to be licensed to big corporations for big money, so it must be paid for by the subscriber model. If you want to make an argument for country-based pricing, which I'm completely in favor of , that's situation you need to find a solution for. Kind of. My point is not related to subscription (at least from my end) but for content, that is why I relate it to Steam or FG. I think that if Fantasy Grounds can sell Paizo content with different prices according to country, shouldn't be so hard for roll 20, specially as several people will buy (although cheaper) content that won't buy if it's that expensive. 
We don't just want this, we also NEED this :(
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Leandro D. said: I think that if Fantasy Grounds can sell Paizo content with different prices according to country, shouldn't be so hard for roll 20, specially as several people will buy (although cheaper) content that won't buy if it's that expensive.  If you haven't already, it might be worth reaching out to the publishers directly.  I expect this sort of thing would need to be included in whatever marketing license agreement that Paizo, WotC, etc. have with Roll20.
I agree with Leandro and although The Aaron makes a good and scientific point, I think that 40 U$D are a lot for people living in Argentina: salaries are low and the prices for everyday products are really high in comparison - which strikes me every time I go there. Keeping this price (in Argentina) would  benefit no one on the long run. Very few, among the minority that could afford it, would be willing to pay what can roughly be translated into 10 % of a standard salary.    
Just because other websites do it doesn't make it easy .  Aside from the simple engineering cost of changing the website, there are serious negotiation challenges related to regional pricing of products you don't own the rights to (such as the Compendium-access books). While there is a big difference between adding the option to price differently based on region, and actually pricing Roll20 products differently based on region... it still might not be worth the effort of creating the option if renegotiating with the bigger first parties is a non-starter.  Even if some companies are convinced to do it, inevitably there will be some others who don't respond or reject the offer, and simply having the option at all creates market pressures that some of Roll20's partners might not like.  There's also the matter of policing issues relating to regional pricing, like people using VPNs to buy books on the cheap, that add an ongoing non-trivial cost to the whole affair. In short, it's complicated.  I suggest starting a petition, so that Roll20 can get some numbers on how many users would be benefited by regional pricing.  If enough people sign, it'll look less like a needless risk and more like a business opportunity.
I totally support the idea of having regional pricing. I know that from people outside this regions and without this issue they might not understand the situation. Please, put yourself in the situation that you have to choose between buying food for a month or the content for your games, and your monthly salary does not clear for both things. I'm living in Europe and it's this is not an issue for me any more, but I understand the situation because I've lived in Argentina before. Most of the International content sellers have a regional pricing policy: Steam, Fantasy Grounds, Google Ads, Netflix, Spotify... etc. and most of them have contracts for content, complex infrastructure and they develop some content from they own. So it's possible. These companies also showed significant growth in local markets by applying these policies (you can see stats of Steam, Netflix and Spotify on Internet), they didn't lose money, just the opposite. The current prince of the content it's almost unaffordable for people in Argentina and some other specific countries. This is also the main reason that explains why this countries have such high numbers in piracy and copyright issues. As the price is prohibitive for them there is no other way of accessing content. I can only see positive consequences of doing so, mainly talking about more players from new countries, more games in another languages, all for good.

Edited 1606564796
David
Sheet Author
Then add to this that market place sellers/creators should charge based on their location. $4.99 goes a hell of a lot further in Argentina than it does in the U.S. or Europe.
Excelent idea. I Agree!
Please consider this.
Pleaseeee! And having a lifetime subscription option too.
Con los sueldos argentinos se nos hace imposible comprar su contenido. Necesitamos precios regionales ya!
I agree Prices exclude us southamericans 
I absolutely agree with this idea of regional pricing!
This would be amazing
Agree!!