Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Nested Repeating Sections is now a thing(but we don't know how it works yet)

Edited 1608311027
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
EDIT: Nope, it's not available, I just gravely misunderstood what was said. In the last Community Roundtable, Roll20 revealed that nesting repeated sections is now possible, but they haven't provided any info on how it works, or examples of use. I've updated the wiki docs to mention its possible, but that's all we know so far. Have anyone tried to figure it out yet, or seen if Roll20 already have user-cases of it? I suggest we call a Repeating Section that is inside another Repeating Sections a Nested Section , to distinguish them from top level rep sections Can they go only one level with nesting, or can we go deeper? Is it maybe just a fieldset inside a fieldset? Please report any results/info here so we can try to document on the wiki how they work. Things to figure out: how to create nested sections How are attributes in nested sections referenced in the parent rep section, or outside them? How do you interact with them with sheetworkers? Can you interact with nested sections with APIs? Advanced user-cases If/when we start to have lots of info on this, I might end up making separate wiki page for all info on Repeating/Nested sections. The wiki page that anyone can contribute to: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Building_Character_Sheets#Repeating_Sections" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Building_Character_Sheets#Repeating_Sections</a>
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Hey Andreas - In the December 2020 Roll20 Community Roundtable &nbsp;I did answer a submitted question about Nested Repeating Sections, but my answer must not have been clear. We have been hard at work on the infrastructure that delivers Character Sheets to support of the mobile app that was released into Closed Beta earlier this week. Most of those changes are invisible to the end user, but Character Sheet Authors will start to see (or may have already noticed) more automation when merging changes to the Character Sheet Repo on GitHub. Those changes do not include nested repeating sections, but I mentioned them because another indirect benefit is it reduces the complexity of changes like Nested Repeating Sections and other highly voted Suggestions &amp; Ideas.

Edited 1608310931
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Kenton said: Those changes do not include nested repeating sections, but I mentioned them because another indirect benefit is it reduces the complexity of changes like Nested Repeating Sections and other highly voted Suggestions &amp; Ideas. Oh, then I misunderstood what you said on the Community Roundtable, and nobody corrected me despite me linking to the part of the stream where you said that. Woops. Does that mean "Nested Repeating Sections" is under works at all, or might just be among the next sheet-related upgrades? Edit: Can you edit the title of this post? It's not accurate any longer.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
;-(