Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Wanted] - String Art

I am trying to do a murder board or Dark family tree style page. I need some string that would connect to pins or tacks on the board to make those connections. If someone has some, could make that or has ideas, I would be very appreciative.

Edited 1610996851
Gold
Forum Champion
A very reasonable request/idea, indeed. Workaround I would use Roll20's line-drawing tool (not the freehand line, try the straight line tool), Thickness: Large or Extra Large, color: Red. This comes with a lot of conveniences for your type of game. It lines can be re-colored (change color, switch one of the strings to the Green connection type instead of Red).  String Graphics would come with other features, for better or worse, such as the Rotation handles, and being able to TINT. Plus a cool realistic fiber appearance, and transparency (PNG). Roll20 Marketplace has several options for Pins and Tacks, those exist (let me know if you need any help finding / testing / comparing / choosing, I've used a lot of them). If the strings exist I think they would be in one of the Murder/Mystery Add-On or Module products -- and I will begin to search for those tonight. I am not aware of the Strings existing in the marketplace as art assets yet. Last, you could very easily find (Google Images) or photograph yourself & Upload to your Roll20 Pro quota, your own string graphics. This would really be relatively easy, and there again, I can probably be asked to help with it if needed.
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Rofl I can't imagine making a pack out of this idea, it took me like 2 minutes. Appreciate it? Buy one of my real packs.
"Rofl I can't imagine making a pack out of this idea, it took me like 2 minutes. Appreciate it? Buy one of my real packs." i can highly recommend this, both idea and artist...better yet get a map :)
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Thanks, Dwain. Dwain is biased, he was my DM for a campaign LOL. ;)
Thanks, Tiffany! I wish I had even basic talent with photshop stuff. It's like an ancient mystery, full of secret handshakes and such. You all amaze me.

Edited 1611198040
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Aaron S. said: Thanks, Tiffany! I wish I had even basic talent with photshop stuff. It's like an ancient mystery, full of secret handshakes and such. You all amaze me. Well... I learned almost everything I use now as a teenager by doing free art on forums, so it's not really that ancient of a mystery. About a 15 year old mystery. And I will answer any questions. This for example, is very easy. I used a 'ribbon brush' that looks like a rope and then I tinted it red, because everyone wants red thread for the purpose you describe, it's the cliche. :D The circle was also a brush I already had. The only thing I did was draw a straight line with Brian Flyland Studio's rope brush, then make a new layer, and put down two of the metal circles. I then duplicated the metal circle layer, and on the LOWER one, I blurred it and darkened it to make the shadow. Then I did this to the rope layer. Then I adjusted the 'hue' to make it red on the upper layer, and saved it as a transparent png. So some of it is that I had the assets pre-made. But if you wanted to make an asset like this, you would take a photo of a rope, remove all the background, then push the rope 50% to the left, duplicate that layer, push it 50% to the right, and then use the clone tool to correct the connection in the middle until it looks seamless. Crop it, save it as a transparent png, and now you have a seamless rope loop you can turn into a ribbon brush or manually place! Then to make the orb you would select a circle from a metal texture, and then do a fish-eye distortion with a filter, and probably paint a bit of shadow manually around the edges. If you don't paint, you could also then make a new layer, do a 'stroke' around the selection of the circle, and then keep the selection on so you're only working above the orb and not spreading the shadow on top 'outwards' as it were. Use the smudge tool or do a gaussian blur to make the shadow blend. Finally, duplicate the orb, and on the bottom layer, gaussian blur and then change the luminosity to be darker, and maybe move it over a few pixels, so you have a shadow underneath it. Maybe I should do a pre-made map pack of connected strings in family tree arrangements so that you don't have to connect them all. But it's not super hard, once you realize what tools in the program you'll be using. I am happy to answer any questions about my techniques. It's no secret. I learned for free online. I was homeschooled and have no higher education. Nothing I know cost money, only time and sweat. :) (Buying the Flyland Studio brushes for Clip Studio Paint cost me a couple of dollars, similar to buying a marketplace item, but the stock art expense is something I swallow as a professional, since I use so many assets!)
Gold
Forum Champion
From my research on Marketplace, there are a few Family Tree assets, and Brackets for a competition, but I have not seen a "murder-board" pack yet (that i could find). I think it could be cool as an Add-On product, that would install 1 or more Pages in your Roll20 with a full set-up (Tack-board / white board, index cards, photograph borders, pins, strings..?) all ready to move around the page & fill in your mystery's details. Could be re-created as modern / high tech / 1920's versions, but I'd do some research first into what games that people play on Roll20 that would consider using it and survey them for their needs. Thanks for telling your digital art story in any case. Very encouraging. Tiffany M. said: Maybe I should do a pre-made map pack of connected strings in family tree arrangements so that you don't have to connect them all.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
The only problem I found with Murder Boards in Roll20, players have to rely on the GM to move them to that page...we found it easier to have our murder board either as a separate game with that board being the only page OR do it offsite with something like Milanote, for example.
Huh. I've never considered using a Page in this way (as kind of a Quest log or "Murder Board" or all the other nifty ideas). It's really clever. For Pro GMs, there are a few APIs you could use to enable players to move themselves in and out of your Family Tree Page. A script called "MapChange" is in the one click API and comes recommended by KeithCurtis, and Page Navigator has more features but I believe is currently being re-written.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Chris said: Huh. I've never considered using a Page in this way (as kind of a Quest log or "Murder Board" or all the other nifty ideas). It's really clever. For Pro GMs, there are a few APIs you could use to enable players to move themselves in and out of your Family Tree Page. A script called "MapChange" is in the one click API and comes recommended by KeithCurtis, and Page Navigator has more features but I believe is currently being re-written. Nice! I'll have to check it out...