Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Forced Result Macros

I have a need to force a result at a certain point in my game but make it seem as part of the normal chance of dice rolls. I need to roll a number of dice and covertly force the dice to only show a single number. Is there a way I can do this through macros?
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The roll20 system is designed to make this impossible, so that players dont lose trust of the dice rolling mechanics. There are ways to try to fake it (like nesting your roll in multiple inline roll brackets [[ ]]), but savvy players will know what you are doing.

Edited 1611032849
You can get very  close, and it depends on which character sheet & roll templates your game is using.  Here's an example for the D&D 5e by Roll20 sheet:  The top damage roll was made legitimately, with the second photo showing what the tooltip mouseover looks like when hovering. The bottom damage roll photos show a faked damage roll. You can insert a tooltip, but you'll always get that green 'API or player-generated content' message above it, and I couldn't get the small 'quantumrollwhite' image to display either, as that uses an image tag and I don't think it's possible to force that in.  Otherwise the roll looks identical.  But basically if you want to get real close you can use an HTML  Style Injection  to fake almost everything about the roll.  But you'd have to set up the roll in advance, and you also can't have the rolled numbers colored red or green for critical failures or successes.  Here's the code I used for the damage roll. The three parts that are bolded are what you have to manually adjust: &{template:npcdmg} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1= [ 5 ](#" style="line-height: 1.25em; font-size: 1.1em; font-weight: bold; text-decoration: none;" class="showtip" title=" Rolling 1d6 + 2+0 = (3)+2+0 ") [ slashing ](#" style="line-height: 1.25em; font-size: 1.05em; text-decoration: none;")}}
Thanks Guys. It was supposed to be a major story hook. I think I will have to think of another way to drive it.