Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[HELP] Noob DM with noob questions!

Edited 1612639979
Thank you for putting up with random ramblings! Pro account, owning no content besides the account upgrade. by character, i am referring to enemies. I cant figure out a way to tie tokens to the compendium entry, so i just create a npc character for them. 1. I like to have each enemy roll their hp instead of having the average be the one that shows up. Right now the only way i can figure out how to do this is drag the token from art only (not linked to the character), roll the HP, add it to the token, and then link it to the character page. When i try to pull them from the character page, and then change the HP, it changes the HP for all of them. Is there a Drag and Drop way to do this? MonsterHitDice, did the trick. 2. I like having different art for each enemy. Right now i have to change the art individually and then drag it out. Is there a way to set a range of tokens for each character, so it RNG picks one? something about a token table, will research and update! 3. I like backing up the unplayed version of my map. The only way I have figured out how to do this is by copying the entire game. Id like to back up one map at a time. (by backup i mean to another game, not to my PC, i assume since they sell prebuilt modules, copying to my PC is impossible.) Archiving seems to only store it in a subfolder for that game. Transmogrifier 4. How do i delete a macro on the macro tab? all i can seem to do is blank them out? FML that was easy! thanks jarren. scroll down in the macro edit window. seriously how did i miss this 3 days in a row while looking for it?! 5. Any other API scripts that you all think would be helpful. I have been fooling around with a couple that deal with initiative/turn order and light sources. 2 weeks after they blackmailed me into being a DM, watched a lot of videos of scripts and stuff, but i know there is tons out there. thank you for clicking in with the intention to help, even if someone already answered it or you didnt know!
1. Look for the MonsterHitDice script Then you have to make sure that the bar that shows their HP is not  linked to their hit point attribute.  If it is linked it will change for all tokens. 2. The best way to do this would be to use rollable tokens. Create a rollable token that has a bunch of different images and then click on the 'Token' button to put it on the tabletop, then save it as the default token for that NPC character.  3. Since you have a Pro subscription, you can use the Transmogrifier to copy characters, handouts, maps, etc. from one game to another.  I'd suggest creating a Backup game that you move blank copies into, and an Archive game that you move 'finished' maps into (in case your current players revisit them and you want to use them again in their 'finished' state).  Don't use the built-in game archive, because all that does is remove the map from the Map page toolbar... it still gets loaded into active memory for the game and can cause slowdown. 4. Click on the macro to open/edit it and scroll to the bottom. There should be a big red Delete button. 5. There are a LOT of scripts. You can search for other forum posts here for 'best API scripts' or 'New DM'.  I'd suggest starting with TokenMod and ChatSetAttr.
Awesome! 1. That does exactly what i want (puts it in bar 3 instead of 1, but w/e I can deal till i dig into the script and change it) 2. not sure what a token table is... will research tomorrow! 3. yes exactly this! didnt think of offloading completed maps as well, to save on resources of the current game! ya i realized archive just means hide pretty quickly. 4. FML im dumb. 5. ya kinda just burnt out on searching for the moment. between the forums and youtube my poor brain feels like it is first day on the job again. figured id get a more targeted list and research those
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
Might I humbly suggest 2 scripts of mine that are hitting the 1-click next week: SelectManager - If script A initiates a call to script B (like powercards, scriptcards, and a few others do), the original array of selected tokens is lost, and the message has the "who" and "playerid" properties set to some version of 'api', losing the original sender. SelectManage preserves this for the downstream script (script B), if the author chooses to implement it. You won't call this script directly. APILogic - gives your other scripts if/else options... i.e., "run this script, but IF [this attribute] is a 0, use [this other attribute] instead."

Edited 1647192007
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
My personal list of no-question must-haves is actually extremely short: Token-mod  - anything you want to do with tokens. Get this. Token Action Maker  - adds multiple token actions with one click. Indispensable for GMs imo I also would highly recommend looking into these quality of life improvements to see if it is applicable to your gaming style/preferences ChatSetAttr  - allows modification of character attributes via macros RecursiveTable  - great for random encounter or treasure tables that need additional die rolls or subordinate tables TableExport - Combined with a spreadsheet string builder , creating large rollable tables can't get easier GroupInitiative  - speeds up initiative process Make-RTT  - this little scriplet greatly simplifies the creation of rollable table tokens (and tables) made of multiple images. Just select a group of tokens on a page and run the script. Scriptcards  - automation, conditional logic(!), custom functions(!), can call other scripts, customizable output. GroupCheck  - Fireball, anyone? Select a group of tokens and roll checks/saves Wildshape  - (5e-only) your druid will thank you. (Edit - I've heard some things lately about some issues some are having recently, so YMMV) SpawnDefaultToken  - (biased opinion) - for summoning tokens representing spell effects, creatures, AoE's, terrain, etc. Thread 2 linked here. Original thread has more examples. SmartAoE - (biased opinion) - graphical interface for implementing AoE's on gridded maps, optionally auto-rolls saves and damage TokenNameNumber - automatically appends number to creatures as they are dragged to the VTT Supernotes  - pulls GM notes from tokens, whispers or broadcasts, allows easy access to reference info without searching through journal  Teleport - auto teleportation! DoorKnocker - Doors: the bane of all GMs running dungeon crawls EncounterHelper - with some setup, running multiple and/or muli-staged encounters is a breeze DnD 5E by Roll20 Companion (if 5e is your thing) I haven't used it yet, but timmaugh's APILogic above looks pretty darn handy SelectManager - another meta-script. The description sounds complicated, but it's easy to use. Allows Selected & Target in the same api call (normally it is one or the other, as the api "forgets"). Also allows selected/targets to be retained for scripts calling other scripts. Very useful when calling a script from within Scriptcards, for example. These are either niche applications or just fun/neat/interesting TokenFate - randomly selects one out of a group of selected tokens (so your players won't think you are picking on anybody) OnMyTurn  - (scriptlet) - triggers abilities on character/npc turns - for ongoing damage, regeneration, reminders, etc. AutoPing - (YouTube tutorial with code link in description) - automatically Ping-pulls players to a preset location on a map change event. Bump  - handy for all those invisible creatures Radar - (biased opinion) - animated radius with visible pings for sensors/detect magic/blindsense/divine sense, etc. DLDarkness - (biased opinion) - automatically creates a gridded/non-gridded circle of dynamic lighting tied to source token for darkness effects TokenLock / MapLock  - just what the names imply Hourglass - graphical timer/stopwatch WeaponArcs  - great for many space games or could be used for blast effects, beholder anti-magic cones, etc. That's it for now. I'm sure I'm forgetting something obvious. Have fun!