Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

IC 19-29/9/1359 Rockwood Hold

The dwarves welcome the Companions of D'Ashe to their Hold and you drink well, though the food is mostly stodgy iron rations - it seems the Hold has been cut off from supply for several weeks now. Flint: "Long as we have Mistress Gundra's magic brew, the Orcs know they can't take us in a straight fight. So they're looking to siege us, wear us out. They took the south mine a few weeks back - wiped out old Thorfin and his men. They sunk our barge, wrecked our jetty. Things starting to look a mite grim - I'm down to twenty men, and supplies are running low. Still, with your aid I reckon we can give the Orcs a damn good hiding, eh - cheers!" *raises beer mug* Flint invites you to rest and heal up at the Hold; Erasmus & Syrus can self train (E&S deduct 20gp each for supplies) while you plan your next move. Flint knows that the Orcs' main lair is in a secluded glen 4 miles to the SW; he doesn't know the exact location within the glen. Thorfin's Mine lies 6 miles to the south, it is believed the orcs now occupy it and seem to be mining the silver, judging by the silver nuggets you found on the raiders.

Edited 1616324869
Q ponders over the map, mindful she doesn't spill her mug, "As I see it, we have two choices: take Thorfin's mine back first, and cut off any reinforcements that would trap us against the bulk of the forces in the main lair, which would then leave us with the choice of leaving it unguarded or splitting your forces trying to guard yet another place; or we attack the main lair, perhaps at mid-day when their other forces will be more reluctant to leave the mine. Of course, if the mine has a single entrance, if we had something very flammable, like tar, we could block the entrance and keep them trapped with a small force while we dealt with the main lair. Or we could try to trigger a collapse of the entrance and trap them there, although I suppose purposely collapsing a mine may be frowned up?" she looks to the dwarves for guidance on the matter. 
"Judging by the distances on this map, reinforcements will likely take as long to arrive as it takes us to get to the lair. As long as we don't signal our approach too clearly, we should have enough time to deal with the denizens of the lair. If we're quick, we can perhaps get in and out before those reinforcements arrive; however, once they do get there, they will likely bring their full force down upon this hold. Other than that, we will not likely be able to rest for long before they descend upon us at the lair.  "We could do without fighting within the lair itself. They will have the advantage in all encounters there. As you say, Qiviel; midday would be the best time to assault, but drawing them out may be difficult. As we see here with the hold, simply laying a siege it will be insufficient, and we will then have to deal with reinforcements."

Edited 1616328269
Flint considers Quillax's plan: "Thorfin's mine has but one entry, aye. It could be blocked, or collapsed, given time - would take the buggers a while to dig their way out. Enough time to attack the main lair."  GM: Probably about an hour's work to collapse the Thorfin's mine entry, and at least several hours to dig out. Unlikely a fire could block it for very long. Flint: "I don't fancy a pitched battle in the open with the buggers - but if we attack at noon, on a nice sunny day..."
Erasmus spends nearly entire days training. Jyrdani takes delight in sitting and watching him go through various katas, honing each form and precise movement. She holds wooden planks for him to hit, chuckling to herself inwardly as he struggles to break them, but outwardly giving as much encouragement as she can.  He spends two hours of each day deep in meditation, sat in the quietest spot he can find. He reaches his consciousness out to touch the Ki energies, drawing upon them to quicken his movements while stopping others (Stunning Strike learned).  He spends time becoming one with his staff (no euphemism), weighing it testing its balance. It is a fine piece of work, and as the week progresses, he learns how to utilise both ends in rapid succession (he now has two attacks per action).  In the final few days, Jyrdani is surprised, and subsequently proud, that the monks punches and kicks have become strong enough to break the wooden planks far more often than not (martial arts die is now d6). 
Tim M. said: "We could do without fighting within the lair itself. They will have the advantage in all encounters there." Flint considers, scratching his beard: "Hmm, well, They have the numbers, but we have the steel - better armour, and some of you lot seem like fine warriors. I'd say the worst place to fight 'em is in the open, after dark. Best is in sunlight, but that ain't too likely." Mistress Gundra: "We believe a Black Sun Priestess is empowering their Champions, and driving them on to unspeakable fury. Kind of my opposite number, you might say." She smiles. "If she could be found and killed within the lair, that would deal them a significant blow." Flint: "Hmm. Aye well, that's likely true, though their boss is a War Chief - don't discount secular leadership, Mistress! But yes, they'd be a lot easier to deal with without her."
Simon N. said: Tim M. said: "We could do without fighting within the lair itself. They will have the advantage in all encounters there." Flint considers, scratching his beard: "Hmm, well, They have the numbers, but we have the steel - better armour, and some of you lot seem like fine warriors. I'd say the worst place to fight 'em is in the open, after dark. Best is in sunlight, but that ain't too likely." Mistress Gundra: "We believe a Black Sun Priestess is empowering their Champions, and driving them on to unspeakable fury. Kind of my opposite number, you might say." She smiles. "If she could be found and killed within the lair, that would deal them a significant blow." Flint: "Hmm. Aye well, that's likely true, though their boss is a War Chief - don't discount secular leadership, Mistress! But yes, they'd be a lot easier to deal with without her." "Would there be a map available of the dwarven workings of the mine?" Norrin asks. "Undoubtedly the orcs would have expanded on those. If we knew where we were going, and not stumbling around in unknown spaces, that would help a lot. Also, was this priestess ever witnessed leaving the mine? If we could catch her out in the open, the fight would be over even before it has begun."
Geoff said: Simon N. said: Tim M. said: "We could do without fighting within the lair itself. They will have the advantage in all encounters there." Flint considers, scratching his beard: "Hmm, well, They have the numbers, but we have the steel - better armour, and some of you lot seem like fine warriors. I'd say the worst place to fight 'em is in the open, after dark. Best is in sunlight, but that ain't too likely." Mistress Gundra: "We believe a Black Sun Priestess is empowering their Champions, and driving them on to unspeakable fury. Kind of my opposite number, you might say." She smiles. "If she could be found and killed within the lair, that would deal them a significant blow." Flint: "Hmm. Aye well, that's likely true, though their boss is a War Chief - don't discount secular leadership, Mistress! But yes, they'd be a lot easier to deal with without her." "Would there be a map available of the dwarven workings of the mine?" Norrin asks. "Undoubtedly the orcs would have expanded on those. If we knew where we were going, and not stumbling around in unknown spaces, that would help a lot. Also, was this priestess ever witnessed leaving the mine? If we could catch her out in the open, the fight would be over even before it has begun." Flint: "No, I ain't got a map of Thorfin's mine - but it's pretty small. The priestess - reckon she's in the main lair. Couple of the men reported seeing her with the demon-ape, at night of course. That was when we lost the boat."

Edited 1616338698
"Demons don't tend to spend too much time on the material plane by choice, from what I've read. It usually takes some kind of summoning to bring them here. Perhaps dealing with this priestess could resolve two matters at once."
Mistress Gerda nods. "Aye - very likely!"
Tim M. said: "Demons don't tend to spend too much time on the material plane by choice, from what I've read. It usually takes some kind of summoning to bring them here. Perhaps dealing with this priestess could resolve two matters at once." Norrin nods his agreement. "We don't have the resources to defeat such a formidable opponent, but we can send it back to where it came from." He scratches his cheek, deep in thought. "Maybe hit and run tactics might work? We pick off their patrols and then disappear, only to return elsewhere and do the same. The forces we met earlier were pretty strong. I hope that's not an indication of their usual patterns." He looks at Flint. "We basically had our behinds handed to us on an orcish shield before we came here, and used up some valuable magic. Would you be able to help us replenish that? We can pay for it."
Geoff said: Tim M. said: "Demons don't tend to spend too much time on the material plane by choice, from what I've read. It usually takes some kind of summoning to bring them here. Perhaps dealing with this priestess could resolve two matters at once." Norrin nods his agreement. "We don't have the resources to defeat such a formidable opponent, but we can send it back to where it came from." He scratches his cheek, deep in thought. "Maybe hit and run tactics might work? We pick off their patrols and then disappear, only to return elsewhere and do the same. The forces we met earlier were pretty strong. I hope that's not an indication of their usual patterns." He looks at Flint. "We basically had our behinds handed to us on an orcish shield before we came here, and used up some valuable magic. Would you be able to help us replenish that? We can pay for it." Flint shrugs. "Gerda can whip you up some healing ales, no doubt."  
"And anything which makes us harder to hit, too. It seems as though the metal armour of these four," *gesturing toward Jyrdani, Norrin, Qiviel and Strohm* "is fairly effective against the orcs' weapons; however, axes and mauls play merry hells with my cloth gi and the flesh beneath. I'm only so quick!" 

Edited 1616340543
Geoff said: Norrin nods his agreement. "We don't have the resources to defeat such a formidable opponent, but we can send it back to where it came from." He scratches his cheek, deep in thought. "Maybe hit and run tactics might work? We pick off their patrols and then disappear, only to return elsewhere and do the same. The forces we met earlier were pretty strong. I hope that's not an indication of their usual patterns." "Perhaps a two-pronged assault? Our main force from the front to draw the demon and orc out, then a sneakier detachment to strike from the side or rear at the priestess? " Flint, would you be able to provide assistance for the main forces to ensure as many of the orcs are drawn out as possible?" 
Tim M. said: Geoff said: Norrin nods his agreement. "We don't have the resources to defeat such a formidable opponent, but we can send it back to where it came from." He scratches his cheek, deep in thought. "Maybe hit and run tactics might work? We pick off their patrols and then disappear, only to return elsewhere and do the same. The forces we met earlier were pretty strong. I hope that's not an indication of their usual patterns." "Perhaps a two-pronged assault? Our main force from the front to draw the demon and orc out, then a sneakier detachment to strike from the side or rear at the priestess? " Flint, would you be able to provide assistance for the main forces to ensure as many of the orcs are drawn out as possible?"  Flint looks sceptically at Erasmus. "I think you may be getting a bit ahead of yourself, friend." He turns to Fraener. "When you're healed up, you'll likely want to be taking a look at Orc Glen, we call it, where we reckon their main lair is. Probably best I take you down there myself - my boys are miners, not scouts."
GM: The dwarves can provide you with the following at-cost (so half PHB price): Up to 10 healing potions (2d4+2) at 25gp each. Mundane & Mithril arms and armour  at half list price (so eg splinted armour for 100gp); Mithril adds to the cost (+100gp for chain shirt, +150gp for breastplate, +200gp for half plate or chainmail, +300gp for splint, +400gp for full plate), so eg mithril splinted for 100+300=400gp, mithril full plate for 750+400=1150gp. They can make up to 1500gp worth of such over the next 10 days. Fraener could also make 500gp worth of arms/armour.
Simon N. said: Flint looks sceptically at Erasmus. "I think you may be getting a bit ahead of yourself, friend." He turns to Fraener. "When you're healed up, you'll likely want to be taking a look at Orc Glen, we call it, where we reckon their main lair is. Probably best I take you down there myself - my boys are miners, not scouts." "And how have your people been faring, good Flint?" Norrin asks, genuinely concerned. "Have you had many losses? Enough food and supplies? Are there any of your kinfolk about to assist you in these troubled times?"
"I wouldn't mind a couple of potions" hand the dwarf 50 gold. "may I ask are there no humans living in this area and could I stay above ground in the fort?" dreading the thought of staying inside a mine for this coming weeks with nothing but hairy dwarves and the only available woman is a dwarven lady wider than a barrel. 
Geoff said: d how have your people been faring, good Flint?" Norrin asks, genuinely concerned. "Have you had many losses? Enough food and supplies? Are there any of your kinfolk about to assist you in these troubled times?" Flint grimaces: "Supplies are low. Lost nearly half our men. Dwarfstead won't aid us; Torag has few enough men, and troubles of his own. As does Malthlyn - if it's not been wiped out yet. Reckon we're on our own." 

Edited 1616415416
WhiteValyrian said: "I wouldn't mind a couple of potions" hand the dwarf 50 gold. "may I ask are there no humans living in this area and could I stay above ground in the fort?" dreading the thought of staying inside a mine for this coming weeks with nothing but hairy dwarves and the only available woman is a dwarven lady wider than a barrel.  Gundra brews Strohm up 2 ales of healing (as potion).  Flint: "Nearest humans are at Malthlyn. Last I heard they were having trouble with mutant giants, trolls, ogres, orcs... worse than we got it here, even. Watch out if you're heading that way. If you do go to Malthlyn, Mistress Gerda's brother Zedanar runs the Ore Road Inn there - say hello from us! Zed has a fine-looking human bar wench. Finira, I think's her name. "Sure you can sleep in the fort - you can sleep on the roof, for all I care." *grins*
"Thank you for the Ale Lady Gundra" *Thankful for the dwarven priestess* *hearing the menagerie of monsters from Flint, Strohm could be seen disheartened for a moment* "Well I can't say I'm an adventurer if I scared of a couple of monsters and if that bar wench is fine as you say well then the dangers is all the more worth it, now is there anything special at Malthlyn my dwarven friend that I can persuade my friends to venture there?"
WhiteValyrian said: "Thank you for the Ale Lady Gundra" *Thankful for the dwarven priestess* *hearing the menagerie of monsters from Flint, Strohm could be seen disheartened for a moment* "Well I can't say I'm an adventurer if I scared of a couple of monsters and if that bar wench is fine as you say well then the dangers is all the more worth it, now is there anything special at Malthlyn my dwarven friend that I can persuade my friends to venture there?" Flint: "Well, there's the Mistwood Mithril Mine... perhaps you can help them out once you've dealt with my little Orc problem, Eh?" *grins*
Simon N. said: Flint grimaces: "Supplies are low. Lost nearly half our men. Dwarfstead won't aid us; Torag has few enough men, and troubles of his own. As does Malthlyn - if it's not been wiped out yet. Reckon we're on our own."  Norrin nods solemnly. "Rest assured your problems are ours. In these troubled times the good people of southern Damara must stand united, or fall divided. We will do our best to take care of these orcs for you, and remember that you will always have friends at D'Ashe Manor. Once this is over and peace reigns again, we would like to discuss trade with you and your miners. But one thing at a time, eh?" He looks at the Dwarven priestess. "I too would like to purchase two potions, good Lady Gundra." He pays the 50 gp, and rubs a sore shoulder. "Those Black Sun orcs hit with tremendous strength."
Erasmus implores Jyrdani to purchase a couple of potions.  "I don't use them!" she says, "What good are they to me?"  "They're not for you, my dear. What if Syrus falls? You and I are the two best suited to drop back to revive him, should the need arise. Do you really want to be rummaging around in packs and pockets searching for potions to administer? I have two, it would make me feel happier knowing you had some too, just in case."
Tim M. said: Erasmus implores Jyrdani to purchase a couple of potions.  "I don't use them!" she says, "What good are they to me?"  "They're not for you, my dear. What if Syrus falls? You and I are the two best suited to drop back to revive him, should the need arise. Do you really want to be rummaging around in packs and pockets searching for potions to administer? I have two, it would make me feel happier knowing you had some too, just in case." Jyrdani pouts but nods - buys 2 potions (Tim could you adjust her PC sheet -50gp/+2 potions)
That's 6 bought so far.
Geoff said: Simon N. said: Flint grimaces: "Supplies are low. Lost nearly half our men. Dwarfstead won't aid us; Torag has few enough men, and troubles of his own. As does Malthlyn - if it's not been wiped out yet. Reckon we're on our own."  Norrin nods solemnly. "Rest assured your problems are ours. In these troubled times the good people of southern Damara must stand united, or fall divided. We will do our best to take care of these orcs for you, and remember that you will always have friends at D'Ashe Manor. Once this is over and peace reigns again, we would like to discuss trade with you and your miners. But one thing at a time, eh?" He looks at the Dwarven priestess. "I too would like to purchase two potions, good Lady Gundra." He pays the 50 gp, and rubs a sore shoulder. "Those Black Sun orcs hit with tremendous strength." Flint nods. "Aye, certainly. I've seen the wenches at Gurzun's - at D'Ashe. Fine place!" *grins* Gundra tends to Norrin's shoulder.
Simon N. said: Flint nods. "Aye, certainly. I've seen the wenches at Gurzun's - at D'Ashe. Fine place!" *grins* Gundra tends to Norrin's shoulder. Grinning in return, Norrin pats the sword at his side. "Gurzun was offered a retirement package that he had no choice but to accept," he replies. "Lady Barbara and I wish to turn the festhall in to a safe haven and trading hub for the people -- all of the people -- of Arcata and Carmathan." "Which brings me to my next point," he continues. "On our travels, we encountered a white dragon, Razing-Death it called itself, which has set up residency between D'Ashe Manor and the mountains north of here.It's claiming the region as its own. We fought it to a stalemate, but lost some horses. It agreed -- for now, at least, if a dragon's word can be believed -- to limit its hunting to only wildlife and promised to leave the farmers alone. But this scourge cannot be allowed to continue and we aim to eradicate it. Have your miners seen any sight of the dragon? We hope to catch it in its lair."
Geoff said: Simon N. said: Flint nods. "Aye, certainly. I've seen the wenches at Gurzun's - at D'Ashe. Fine place!" *grins* Gundra tends to Norrin's shoulder. Grinning in return, Norrin pats the sword at his side. "Gurzun was offered a retirement package that he had no choice but to accept," he replies. "Lady Barbara and I wish to turn the festhall in to a safe haven and trading hub for the people -- all of the people -- of Arcata and Carmathan." "Which brings me to my next point," he continues. "On our travels, we encountered a white dragon, Razing-Death it called itself, which has set up residency between D'Ashe Manor and the mountains north of here.It's claiming the region as its own. We fought it to a stalemate, but lost some horses. It agreed -- for now, at least, if a dragon's word can be believed -- to limit its hunting to only wildlife and promised to leave the farmers alone. But this scourge cannot be allowed to continue and we aim to eradicate it. Have your miners seen any sight of the dragon? We hope to catch it in its lair." Flint shakes his head. "We heard tell of it, but no sight of it down here."
"If we do end up entering the mine blind without any idea of the layout, then I can disguise myself via magical means and scout ahead without alerting the Orcs and get a lay of the land as we proceed if thats what we aim to do"
James G. said: "If we do end up entering the mine blind without any idea of the layout, then I can disguise myself via magical means and scout ahead without alerting the Orcs and get a lay of the land as we proceed if thats what we aim to do" "My only concern would be if you were to get challenged; you are not conversant in the orcish tongue, correct? Last time we let our party get that split up... well, you know what happened."
"I speak orcish," Norrin says. "I picked it up on the road when I served as a caravan guard. Another guard in our group was half-orc, and he taught me a little, mostly insults and curses, but after a while I learned enough to carry on a conversation. It's come in handy a few times. But obviously, I can't pass for an orc."

Edited 1616686230
Fraener listens to the various plots and plans before adding to the conversation. ”We got beaten because there were more of them, in open ground, and we broke ranks. That let them bring their greater numbers to bear. There’s not one among us who’s not more than a match for any Orc an’ that’s why I say we take Thorfin’s mine first. Underground they’ll not be able to take advantage of numbers  and our better armour and training will weigh the battle firmly in our favour. Dwarves are expert tunnel fighters and we’re used to using tight spaces to our advantage. Also the chances are that great big Demon won’t be able to swing around much down below.  If it’s only got one entrance that also means that a small force can hold it once the Orcs are dead and secure it against counter attacks, whittle  down their numbers at the gates before we take the fight to their lair in daylight later. It also means these here Halls can keep a full contingent should they decide to strike here. Now if this Orc witch is at Thorfin’s then she must be our priority. With luck, we kill her and the big Ape goes back to the Abyss. But if he don’t we have some hardy warriors among us and I have protection magic that will give them the edge in a fight. It’s already felt the weight of Moradin’s Hammer, I know, I dealt the blow and I know, together we can beat it.”
Chris T. said: Fraener listens to the various plots and plans before adding to the conversation. ”We got beaten because there were more of them, in open ground, and we broke ranks. That let them bring their greater numbers to bear. There’s not one among us who’s not more than a match for any Orc an’ that’s why I say we take Thorfin’s mine first. Underground they’ll not be able to take advantage of numbers  and our better armour and training will weigh the battle firmly in our favour. Dwarves are expert tunnel fighters and we’re used to using tight spaces to our advantage. Also the chances are that great big Demon won’t be able to swing around much down below.  If it’s only got one entrance that also means that a small force can hold it once the Orcs are dead and secure it against counter attacks, whittle  down their numbers at the gates before we take the fight to their lair in daylight later. It also means these here Halls can keep a full contingent should they decide to strike here. Now if this Orc witch is at Thorfin’s then she must be our priority. With luck, we kill her and the big Ape goes back to the Abyss. But if he don’t we have some hardy warriors among us and I have protection magic that will give them the edge in a fight. It’s already felt the weight of Moradin’s Hammer, I know, I dealt the blow and I know, together we can beat it.” Jyrdani nods. "Sounds good to me. We do best on a narrow front, where their numbers can't tell - but our armour and skill can." She grins.
The main group could make a diversionary attack on Thorfin's Mine while Norrin & Syrus lead a supply run to Dwarfstead with the horses?
that makes sense I'm good with that plan

Edited 1616762339
I think that's a good idea too. That would be Norrin's opinion anyway; he fully understands Fraener's desire to go in there right away and have at it. He's okay with escorting a supply train. After all, that's what he did in the past, lol.
Q nods at Jyrdani's quip. "I admit a narrow front is far easier than the open plains where we are too easily flanked." She considers the options, and then states, "If dealing with the witch is on offer, I will volunteer for there as allowing one who summons demons to do harm to run unchecked does not sit well with me. However, I am content to support where my sword and shield will be most useful. While the final decisions are being made, I will see to my horse." Q will take time to ensure Rocco is well groomed (checking her hooves are clean and show no damage and her shoes and tack are all in good condition) Afterwards, she will purchase two healing potions because working with this group has made her aware that until her magic's wellspring is stronger, having a back-up healing option is becoming a necessity ;)
OK 8 potions bought so far :)
Simon N. said: The main group could make a diversionary attack on Thorfin's Mine while Norrin & Syrus lead a supply run to Dwarfstead with the horses? This sounds good :) 
"This is a good idea. Ser Norrin and Syrus are accomplished and, barring an ambush like we saw, should be able to deal with any issues on the road. If we make our attack on the mine ahead of their supply run, we may draw any orcs covering the road back to us, thus clearing the path for them."
“We need to get everyone not fighting or supporting to the south end of the room. If we need to fall back we don’t want anyone left behind!”

Edited 1618700129
Erasmus will be spending much of his time with Jyrdani as she trains. He helps her with techniques and forms learnt at the Monastery which, while she generally ignores him preferring brute force over finesse, does sink in a little. The added fluidity in her movements allows her to use the momentum of her strikes to carry through, granting her the ability to slice through her foes twice instead of only once.  While not working on her combat, they spend time chasing each other around the hold. To Erasmus's great surprise, Jyrdani closes the gap on him every day and, by the end of the week, she actually catches him. Her speed now matches the old monk.  "There's no getting away from me now!" she exclaims with a laugh as she trips him and they tumble to the floor together. 
GM: Piling up the bodies, you count 19 Orc dead - not such a huge number (they lost 22 in their first battle), but that includes Grizelda their Priestess, 4 Black Sun Champions, and 3 Trackers, as well as 11 regular Orcs. With the Priestess dead, they have hopefully lost the power to summon demons and to anoint Black Sun Champions. They've certainly received a bloody nose and seem to be staying well clear of Rockwood Hold and even Thorfin's Mine now. I suggest you decide now what you'd like to do next session.
Simon N. said: I suggest you decide now what you'd like to do next session. With so many away next week, I suggest something short and succinct. 
Strohm is in a pretty good mood, with the silver ingots receive from Flint he now has just enough to buy the renovated farmhouse for his harem but then the dwarves offer silver weapons. Strohm knew that dwarven cleric will not stop in reclaiming his haunted forge and silver weapons would do well against the creatures living in the dark but he will not have enough for his new home. Seeing that this Dwarf cleric has been bringing him to dangerous caves and tunnels Strohm approach the dwarf with a proposition. "Fraener my dwarf friend I ask for a short loan, a silver weapon would be of good use in clearing your ancestral forge if I am so bold can I ask you to purchase me a silver maul."  "I swear on my name on the next adventure I will pay back the gold"
Tim M. said With so many away next week, I suggest something short and succinct.  i suggest returning back to D'Ashe manor and help nearby settlements

Edited 1618732905
GM: Who has the locket (Mirna's locket) taken from the troll lair?
unfortunately Fraener