Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

5e D&D R20 character sheet for NPCs - expanded critical range for NPCs?

We've got a Warrior Sidekick who crits on a 19 or 20. Can I amend the NPC character sheet (not a full PC sheet) do take this into account? I've found the global_damage_mod_crit quality but I don't know what it does or how to use it...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
AFAIK, crit range is not available to the NPC sheet. You will likely need to make a custom Ability on the Abilities tab.
Aha, thanks. How would I find out how to construct that ability?
Really if it is possible, but not by means of the sheet ..... but a macro.  Here is an example of a Token Action (macro), an example of shortsword crit range 19-20 (Note: the bold lettler must be changed by what you are looking for, or by the order of the attack in the sheet):  @{selected|wtype}&{template:npcatk} {{attack=1}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg2flag=1}}  @{selected|npc_name_flag} {{rname=[ Shortsword ](~selected|repeating_npcaction_$ 0 _npc_dmg)}} {{rnamec=[ Shortsword ](~selected|repeating_npcaction_$ 0 _npc_crit)}} {{type=[Attack](~selected|repeating_npcaction_$ 0 _npc_dmg)}} {{typec=[Attack](~selected|repeating_npcaction_$ 0 _npc_crit)}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}cs>19+( 6 )]]}} @{selected|rtype}cs>19+( 6 )]]}} @{selected|charname_output}

Edited 1616800207
Edit: You'll have to manually adjust this every time you make a change to the Roll Queries setting on the character sheet, and the solution is unique for each of the four roll options. There is a hacky way to put it directly into the weapon attack. Big caveat on this:  it will make all attack rolls for this character crit on a 19-20.  Click the weapon attack from the character sheet, then go into chat and press the up arrow to get the call that is made. It'll look something like this: @{Defender (Warrior) EK|wtype}&{template:npcatk} {{attack=1}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}}  @{Defender (Warrior) EK|npc_name_flag} {{rname=[Longsword (One-Handed)](~-LlIoIxf9RCa1BS6PYjS|repeating_npcaction_-LlInz2D-ZKR-Tk4us89_npc_dmg)}} {{rnamec=[Longsword (One-Handed)](~-LlIoIxf9RCa1BS6PYjS|repeating_npcaction_-LlInz2D-ZKR-Tk4us89_npc_crit)}} {{type=[^{attack-u}](~-LlIoIxf9RCa1BS6PYjS|repeating_npcaction_-LlInz2D-ZKR-Tk4us89_npc_dmg)}} {{typec=[^{attack-u}](~-LlIoIxf9RCa1BS6PYjS|repeating_npcaction_-LlInz2D-ZKR-Tk4us89_npc_crit)}} {{r1=[[@{Defender (Warrior) EK|d20}+(6+0)]]}} @{Defender (Warrior) EK|rtype}+(6+0)]]}} @{Defender (Warrior) EK|charname_output} You want just the first half of the r1 portion (in bold here): {{r1=[[@{Defender (Warrior) EK|d20}+(6+0)]]}} @{Defender (Warrior) EK|rtype}+(6+0)]]}} Then go to the attributes tab and find the rtype attribute. You may need to manually change the roll type for it to show up.  It'll look like one of these: (Always) {{always=1}} {{r2=[[@{d20} (Toggle) @{advantagetoggle} (Query) {{query=1}} ?{Advantage?|Normal Roll,{{normal=1}} {{r2=[[0d20|Advantage,{{advantage=1}} {{r2=[[@{d20}|Disadvantage,{{disadvantage=1}} {{r2=[[@{d20}} (Never) {{normal=1}} {{r2=[[0d20 If you have it set to toggle, you might have to manually adjust the toggle to get advantagetoggle attribute to show up as well. (I'm not sure if that'll matter.) Then you paste the first half of the r1 section from above before what is currently in the rtype attribute, and add "cs>19" after "d20}". If you have the character set to Toggle it'll look like this: {{r1=[[@{Defender (Warrior) EK|d20} cs>19 +(6+0)]]}} @{advantagetoggle} Then go back to the character sheet and you should get critical rolls on 19-20. Yes... it's hacky and there should be an easy option to adjust an NPCs crit range just like a PC, but it is an option.
Jarren K. said: Edit: You'll have to manually adjust this every time you make a change to the Roll Queries setting on the character sheet, and the solution is unique for each of the four roll options. There is a hacky way to put it directly into the weapon attack. Big caveat on this:  it will make all attack rolls for this character crit on a 19-20.  Click the weapon attack from the character sheet, then go into chat and press the up arrow to get the call that is made. It'll look something like this: @{Defender (Warrior) EK|wtype}&{template:npcatk} {{attack=1}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}}  @{Defender (Warrior) EK|npc_name_flag} {{rname=[Longsword (One-Handed)](~-LlIoIxf9RCa1BS6PYjS|repeating_npcaction_-LlInz2D-ZKR-Tk4us89_npc_dmg)}} {{rnamec=[Longsword (One-Handed)](~-LlIoIxf9RCa1BS6PYjS|repeating_npcaction_-LlInz2D-ZKR-Tk4us89_npc_crit)}} {{type=[^{attack-u}](~-LlIoIxf9RCa1BS6PYjS|repeating_npcaction_-LlInz2D-ZKR-Tk4us89_npc_dmg)}} {{typec=[^{attack-u}](~-LlIoIxf9RCa1BS6PYjS|repeating_npcaction_-LlInz2D-ZKR-Tk4us89_npc_crit)}} {{r1=[[@{Defender (Warrior) EK|d20}+(6+0)]]}} @{Defender (Warrior) EK|rtype}+(6+0)]]}} @{Defender (Warrior) EK|charname_output} You want just the first half of the r1 portion (in bold here): {{r1=[[@{Defender (Warrior) EK|d20}+(6+0)]]}} @{Defender (Warrior) EK|rtype}+(6+0)]]}} Then go to the attributes tab and find the rtype attribute. You may need to manually change the roll type for it to show up.  It'll look like one of these: (Always) {{always=1}} {{r2=[[@{d20} (Toggle) @{advantagetoggle} (Query) {{query=1}} ?{Advantage?|Normal Roll,{{normal=1}} {{r2=[[0d20|Advantage,{{advantage=1}} {{r2=[[@{d20}|Disadvantage,{{disadvantage=1}} {{r2=[[@{d20}} (Never) {{normal=1}} {{r2=[[0d20 If you have it set to toggle, you might have to manually adjust the toggle to get advantagetoggle attribute to show up as well. (I'm not sure if that'll matter.) Then you paste the first half of the r1 section from above before what is currently in the rtype attribute, and add "cs>19" after "d20}". If you have the character set to Toggle it'll look like this: {{r1=[[@{Defender (Warrior) EK|d20} cs>19 +(6+0)]]}} @{advantagetoggle} Then go back to the character sheet and you should get critical rolls on 19-20. Yes... it's hacky and there should be an easy option to adjust an NPCs crit range just like a PC, but it is an option. Nice one.... another option.... But roll20 should put in the npc sheet option to increase the critical range... totally agree.
Wow, thank you both! I'm not very technical or familiar with these parts of Roll20 but I will try it out and report back! :)
Jarren K. said: Edit: You'll have to manually adjust this every time you make a change to the Roll Queries setting on the character sheet, and the solution is unique for each of the four roll options. There is a hacky way to put it directly into the weapon attack. Big caveat on this:  it will make all attack rolls for this character crit on a 19-20.  Click the weapon attack from the character sheet, then go into chat and press the up arrow to get the call that is made. It'll look something like this: @{Defender (Warrior) EK|wtype}&{template:npcatk} {{attack=1}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}}  @{Defender (Warrior) EK|npc_name_flag} {{rname=[Longsword (One-Handed)](~-LlIoIxf9RCa1BS6PYjS|repeating_npcaction_-LlInz2D-ZKR-Tk4us89_npc_dmg)}} {{rnamec=[Longsword (One-Handed)](~-LlIoIxf9RCa1BS6PYjS|repeating_npcaction_-LlInz2D-ZKR-Tk4us89_npc_crit)}} {{type=[^{attack-u}](~-LlIoIxf9RCa1BS6PYjS|repeating_npcaction_-LlInz2D-ZKR-Tk4us89_npc_dmg)}} {{typec=[^{attack-u}](~-LlIoIxf9RCa1BS6PYjS|repeating_npcaction_-LlInz2D-ZKR-Tk4us89_npc_crit)}} {{r1=[[@{Defender (Warrior) EK|d20}+(6+0)]]}} @{Defender (Warrior) EK|rtype}+(6+0)]]}} @{Defender (Warrior) EK|charname_output} You want just the first half of the r1 portion (in bold here): {{r1=[[@{Defender (Warrior) EK|d20}+(6+0)]]}} @{Defender (Warrior) EK|rtype}+(6+0)]]}} Then go to the attributes tab and find the rtype attribute. You may need to manually change the roll type for it to show up.  It'll look like one of these: (Always) {{always=1}} {{r2=[[@{d20} (Toggle) @{advantagetoggle} (Query) {{query=1}} ?{Advantage?|Normal Roll,{{normal=1}} {{r2=[[0d20|Advantage,{{advantage=1}} {{r2=[[@{d20}|Disadvantage,{{disadvantage=1}} {{r2=[[@{d20}} (Never) {{normal=1}} {{r2=[[0d20 If you have it set to toggle, you might have to manually adjust the toggle to get advantagetoggle attribute to show up as well. (I'm not sure if that'll matter.) Then you paste the first half of the r1 section from above before what is currently in the rtype attribute, and add "cs>19" after "d20}". If you have the character set to Toggle it'll look like this: {{r1=[[@{Defender (Warrior) EK|d20} cs>19 +(6+0)]]}} @{advantagetoggle} Then go back to the character sheet and you should get critical rolls on 19-20. Yes... it's hacky and there should be an easy option to adjust an NPCs crit range just like a PC, but it is an option. I have tried this and got it to work! Thank you! Like you say it has some limitations... I'll have to remember not to mess with the toggle settings! But it'll do for the moment. I presume I'll have to update the rtype if the attack bonus changes as well?
Tom M-B. said: I have tried this and got it to work! Thank you! Like you say it has some limitations... I'll have to remember not to mess with the toggle settings! But it'll do for the moment. I presume I'll have to update the rtype if the attack bonus changes as well? Yep, that's correct.  And as I look at the Defender NPC sidekick, it has three attacks: Longsword 1h, Longsword 2h, and Longbow.  The Longsword attacks get a +6 to attack but the Longbow only gets +5, so rolling the Longbow with the modified rtype will give you an extra +1 to attack as it's currently set up. I'm trying to think if there's a way to get around that... but you'll run into an order of operations problem really quickly.
Jarren K. said: Tom M-B. said: I have tried this and got it to work! Thank you! Like you say it has some limitations... I'll have to remember not to mess with the toggle settings! But it'll do for the moment. I presume I'll have to update the rtype if the attack bonus changes as well? Yep, that's correct.  And as I look at the Defender NPC sidekick, it has three attacks: Longsword 1h, Longsword 2h, and Longbow.  The Longsword attacks get a +6 to attack but the Longbow only gets +5, so rolling the Longbow with the modified rtype will give you an extra +1 to attack as it's currently set up. I'm trying to think if there's a way to get around that... but you'll run into an order of operations problem really quickly. Thanks - I thought that might be the case. For this NPC in particular, it only has Dex-based attacks and doesn't have any magic gear, so it's not currently a problem...