Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Release: Planets of Unusual Shapes #1 and #2

Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
After the glorious success of my Solar System map kit, I received a request from a fan playing a specific science fantasy setting with bizarre shaped planets to create a pack with several alternative planet geometries. So here it is! Two brand new expansion packs of unusual planets with as many pieces as the original Solar System kit, except with more surreal planet shapes! Behold! Planets of Unusual Shapes #1 Dice and Discworlds comes with planets in all 'dice' shaped geometrics and flat planets. Square, pentagon, hexagon, octagon, pyramid, star, oblong oval, round with inner sun, round with hole, long flat planet, short flat "plate" planet, plane line, and flat on a turtle's back. Planets of Unusual Shapes #2 Shattered and Ringworlds comes with planets in multiple ring styles: donut, band, angled flat ring, as well as two crescent styles, and several crystalline, amorphous blob, and broken up worlds... RIP Alderaan. We will always remember. All of the planet shapes come in elemental styles: green 'life' planet, earth-like with water and land, rocky, orange gas, blue gas "air planet", blue gas with floating swirling inner islands, fire, and water world. All of the planet shapes include appropriate shaped drop-on rings in single vertical, single horizontal, and double ring styles, appropriate shaped atmospheres in earth-like with and without clouds, plus toxic yellow and green atmospheres. These can also be used for elemental air planets without any inner land. For some of the obvious contenders (earth-like, gas planets) I have added options with fixed atmospheres and rings, but the pieces are included to give any planet these features. To move a stack of elements that fit into one square, stack the items as desired and then select the stack and click 'group tokens'. To later move them, simply click once, and then click a second time, then drag. A single click will result in you moving only the top item in the stack. All of the planet shapes have also been converted into a small moon sized drop-on to add a peculiar moon to a planet. If you want round moons I recommend grabbing the original solar system kit as it has several moon variations which are quite compatible, and if you want asteroids or backgrounds, I recommend grabbing my Space Junk: Asteroids, Comets, Meteors, Starfields and Nebulas pack . What do you want next to populate your space opera campaign? Do you want new styles in these shapes? Do you have ideas for different shapes of planets for a new Planets of Unusual Shapes? More classic round planets? More space backdrops? Ships? Thanks for reading. Let me know what you'd like to see next to drop into your Space Exploration themed campaign.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I don't play any space exploration games, but I may very well pick up those 2 planet kits for visual puzzle elements. "Just because something's important doesn't mean its not very, very small."
Gold
Forum Champion
Wowza. This concept gets the gears turning. (It makes me think of new game ideas & stories & adventures in my mind in outer space)
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Kraynic said: I don't play any space exploration games, but I may very well pick up those 2 planet kits for visual puzzle elements. "Just because something's important doesn't mean its not very, very small." Thanks, Kraynic. While technically they're 'planets' you can use them for whatever you want, I have no problem if someone uses them as a spell effect, magical elements, islands, etc... or a themed puzzle kit! I think it could work very well if you have a dungeon and people can say, rotate the pillar to set them all to the fire shape, or select all of the donut shapes. The crystalline and snowflake shapes might make lovely summoning circle effects. I myself used the asteroids from Space Junk for something completely different: I needed a bunch of rubble for a map I was making and they were perfect to throw in as rocks around the base of a temple. I've also used the suns and planets simply as map decor, for example on this battlemap I used one of the Solar System Maker suns (the one named "Arcturus") as a backdrop for the label text, though it's not a 'solar system map' exactly I found my asset was evokative. Is there something I could make for you that would be more useful for puzzle elements, though? That sounds fun. Gold said: Wowza. This concept gets the gears turning. (It makes me think of new game ideas & stories & adventures in my mind in outer space) So glad to hear it! I hope you and your party journey into space and explore the great beyond, past planets like we'd see in our own system and into the Wyrd, where ring worlds hover around green suns, where amethyst planets full of crystalline aliens chirp in hexadecimal code, where mushroom vendors sell health spores to docile dogkin. Don't just think space, though. I play in a setting called Troika! where we explore the aether going from weird spheres to floating pyramids to candyland to mushroom land etc. These could be weird islands, they could be truly alien beings from beyond... they were commissioned as planets, but really, in the end, they're just themed elemental pieces. I use most of my pieces, so, I plan to use these for all kinds of non-planet related things. Like, I am 100% sure that the fire star is destined to go on an evil altar somewhere. And the crystal snowflake pieces are going to be great in some kind of temple too. Let your imagination run wild! You're welcome to buy it even if you only plan to use the hexagon atmosphere as a glyph of warding!
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Tiffany M. said: Is there something I could make for you that would be more useful for puzzle elements, though? That sounds fun. Unfortunately, my creativity isn't as premeditated as I would sometimes like.  I tend to see something and think "Hey, I could use that!", often with things that at first glance I have no use for...  I have used wheels/dials with symbols, nested rings with pointers to constellations, and letter combinations for puzzles.  I'm thinking these will be more along the lines of finding these strange objects, and then having a place to assemble them later.  I do have to say that I am sorry to not see a turtle disc world with a big mountain in the middle though.  I can't tell my players that they can see Dun Manifestin from here and see how many have read Pratchett novels.  I suppose that would be treading on the toes of IP though, so I'm more teasing that serious about that.  :p
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Kraynic said: I do have to say that I am sorry to not see a turtle disc world with a big mountain in the middle though.  I can't tell my players that they can see Dun Manifestin from here and see how many have read Pratchett novels.  I suppose that would be treading on the toes of IP though, so I'm more teasing that serious about that.  :p While that is the exact reason I didn't do it that way in the pack... I think I can just give it to you. :D
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Tiffany M. said: While that is the exact reason I didn't do it that way in the pack... I think I can just give it to you. :D Thanks!