Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Universal NPC Statblock Abilities and Spells Chat Menus for D&D 5e sheet — No API or Stylus required!

Paul said: Ah, that is what I feared. Thx for working thru it all. I can adjust my naming scheme for a few NPCs. It's worth it to get access to actions with many, many fewer clicks. Next step is voice control .... ;-) Thx v much.  I'm glad we got it figured out! As an FYI, the use of the API is my biggest reason for having a Pro subscription.  I can set up any new tokens with just a few clicks (using a token setup macro for TokenMod and ChatSetAttr ).  Having each character's 'npc_name' set as '@{selected|token_name}' makes identifying which token is taking actions is a huge help in my games, as well as a lot of other time-saving macros and things using other APIs.  

Edited 1648962781
Jarren, I love these macros and use them all the time for my NPCs, so thank you for this. I'm having an issue, though, with NPCs from a purchased adventure (Camp Clearwater Massacre).  The NPC Abilities and Skills displays correctly: But the NPC Actions does not: Other NPCs work normally, so I'm wondering if it's just something with the NPCs from that particular module.  It's confusing, but I can just not use the macros for this one adventure.  If you do have an answer, though, I'd be interested.
Hmm, I'm not sure.  I haven't seen that before. Have you tried copying the game and seeing if the issue persists there?  If so, then add me to the copy game (don't post game links publicly) and promote me to GM and I'll poke around and see if I can figure out what's going on.
Just played around a bit and figured it out.  The parentheses in the name "The Slasher (Hostile Giant)" character name are breaking the macro.  It's totally fine to have them in the Token Name, but not in the Character Name.  I changed the Character Name to "The Slasher - Hostile Giant" and the macro works fine.
Ahh, good to know.  Thanks for digging!
Hi all, I've tried using the prepared spells macro for one of my players, but it only shows cantrips regardless of what spells they have prepared. Any ideas on how to solve?
Andy said: Hi all, I've tried using the prepared spells macro for one of my players, but it only shows cantrips regardless of what spells they have prepared. Any ideas on how to solve? A common mistake is to use the "cantrip macro" for spell levels. Cantrips use "cantrip" instead of "0" whereas spell levels use their numbers. Cantrips: %{selected|repeating_spell- cantrip _$0_spell} 1st-level: %{selected|repeating_spell- 1 _$0_spell} 2nd-level: %{selected|repeating_spell- 2 _$0_spell} etc... Maybe this solves your problem? (P.s. In case you don't know - you cannot use a "NPC repeating macro" for a character sheet)
Weirdly, if I duplicate the characters information into a new NPC sheet the macro works, but if I set the original character as an NPC in the sheet setting it still errors. Oh well.
I have a fairly major overhaul of this concept with a macro mule character that can generate chat menus for both PCs and NPCs, running the gamut from stats, checks and saving throws, attacks, spells, abilities, inventory, proficiencies, bio, etc., with features for changing the color of unprepared spells and unequipped items and some other cool tricks. However, I'm at the point where I need some help testing this all out.  I know that other people use their sheets in different ways, so some feedback and up-front troubleshooting would be super helpful - e.g. how many items should be included in an inventory list, or what issues pop up when characters have special characters in their name and so forth.   If you're willing to help me troubleshoot and test this out, what would it mean for you?  Copying and pasting 21 attributes and 81 abilities into a macro mule character sheet, and creating 4 universal macros.  Then going wild with characters and seeing if you can break it. (I'm sure you can!). And giving feedback on color choices or number of elements included or whatever else. (I tried to get a quick video screengrab but I can't get it small enough to load here. Ah well.) If you're interested in helping just send me a direct message. I'm thinking the easiest way to tackle this is using the 'Recent Game Discussion' on a private game thread; that way I can update code as needed there and not spam the regular forums, or have to email back and forth or use some other software. I probably won't have time to get it all set up and posted until later this coming week as well.
Regarding the "Simple universal macros without any styling" macro. When I use it with the Test Macro button it is fine, but in game use always leads to a tonne of error messages before the macro works in chat.  I tried adding a space before the &{noerror} and still no luck.
LazerScythe said: Regarding the "Simple universal macros without any styling" macro. When I use it with the Test Macro button it is fine, but in game use always leads to a tonne of error messages before the macro works in chat.  I tried adding a space before the &{noerror} and still no luck. Did you follow the setup instructions ? I also gave a more detailed explanation to someone else here .  Because of how the &{noerror} works, it has to be called separately  - you have to use a minimum of two macros to avoid getting the error messages in chat. Also, in case you didn't see it,  I have an updated version here .
Trying to use this for pc's to lessen the number of times we need to open up character sheets.  (I put mine in a seperate tab but want to stay more in the scene).  But when I use the stat block to generate skill checks i'm seeing a d20 + mod for associated stat but nothing added for skill rank/proficiency.  Is the fields called different on a pc sheet vs the npc?  I'm using the version without graphic mods, and we're not using API.  Is that the reason?  Works fine for rolling saves, and stats are accurate on skills, but nothing added for prof bonus on proficient skills. Could not get spells to work correct, but assumed that was because of npc / pc.
are the outputs different from the sheet vs the macros?

Edited 1665617869
Just saw that there's a  new version.  So trying that first. Yes, the outputs from the macro do not include proficiency bonus.  Sheet includes proficiency bonus as applicable.  Otherwise it's working.  Since the sheet "Roll 20 D&D 5e" doesn't show names of fields on mouseover, made it a little hard to diagnose / remedy for me.  Would be great to see full formulae & field names
Sorry, I meant the roll templates, if the output is an npc template from the PC then it will not include the bonus but if it is the PC template it should be rolling the same as the sheet, which adds the pb into the attack and damage mods. so all you will see is the 1d20 plus the mod, ie 1d20+5, which would be the 3+the pb of 2.
Randall said: Trying to use this for pc's to lessen the number of times we need to open up character sheets.  (I put mine in a seperate tab but want to stay more in the scene).  But when I use the stat block to generate skill checks i'm seeing a d20 + mod for associated stat but nothing added for skill rank/proficiency.  Is the fields called different on a pc sheet vs the npc?   I'm using the version without graphic mods, and we're not using API.  Is that the reason?  Works fine for rolling saves, and stats are accurate on skills, but nothing added for prof bonus on proficient skills. Could not get spells to work correct, but assumed that was because of npc / pc. Kilter said: Sorry, I meant the roll templates, if the output is an npc template from the PC then it will not include the bonus but if it is the PC template it should be rolling the same as the sheet, which adds the pb into the attack and damage mods. so all you will see is the 1d20 plus the mod, ie 1d20+5, which would be the 3+the pb of 2. Yes this is correct. My first macro mule (this thread) was only set up for NPCs, and the rolls are different between PCs and NPCs. You’ll want to use the updated version for PCs.