Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Looking For Paid Group Forum Section

They already have condoned it in a number of ways, Vouru.
Another week gone by, what's the hold up Roll20?  We all know you can do it.
Another month, more wondering about what is going on.
Gold
Forum Champion
Bianca said: Thanks, everyone!  We’re creating a few solutions, and will be checking those with the requirements. We'll post updates as we have them. Thank you and happy 2022! Upon close reading, this thread has been asking for 1 solution, just very simply add +1 more Sub-forum section, called Looking for Group (Paid)
Gold said: Upon close reading, this thread has been asking for 1 solution, just very simply add +1 more Sub-forum section, called Looking for Group (Paid) Yep!  That is pretty much all we would like to see here.  As it would make things so much easier.  But, for some reason they are just refusing to do it.  At this point, I distinctly say refuse.  Because after this amount of time, I simply cannot believe the don't know how to add in another section to the forums.
At this point I can only conclude that they are somehow profiting off of not doing this.
Honestly, after looking through other threads, I have come to a different conclusion. Roll20 is abandonware.  They are doing utterly nothing, even for things that are massively requested and needed.  They slap a 'researching' tag on it, and then completely ignore it.

Edited 1644341539
Given the level of advertisement for it that I encounter, I'm not so sure, but I do think that they only make improvements opportunistically. Meaning that if they don't see the immediate profitability of improving the web app, they just don't do it, because they don't care about providing a positive user experience, so long as enough people will continue to use the product either way.
STILL waiting on the word for this Roll20, month 1 of 2022 is almost over and your round table on Twitch mentioned new forum stuff revamp happening at the beginning of the new year, give us a clue please on this. Thanks Tom
Even though I charge for games I would agree a paid games forum would be useful. 
Official Nerdbauchery Team said: Even though I charge for games I would agree a paid games forum would be useful.  It would just make organizing things so much easier, if nothing else.
+1 This has been a badly needed addition for some time. It's a simple and easy fix to a pronounced irritant.  
Recently I tried to suggest Roll20 to a couple newbie roleplayers that struggled to find local gamers for face-to-face sessions. Their feedback after checking out the site and the LFG forum was "all the games are p2p..." which put them completely off the site.
And we are into March now and still no word, are we not to beleave the Twitch Roll20 Roundtable shows info anymore?? Please give us some kind of update, be it this specific subject or the revamp of the forum site as stated "in the beginning of the New Year" in your later roundtable late last years show please. Thanks Tom
Not letting this fall off the front page!
Dave said: Not letting this fall off the front page! lols
Still waiting....... Tom
AAANNDDDD, you guessed STILL waiting for anything or is it just dead now........?? SIGH Tom
They aren't going to do it, obviously they believe it's in their financial interests to not separate paid and free games.  It's too bad, paid games have kind of ruined the looking for game forum.  Nothing against the paid dms out there, if you can get your nut then get it.  But the effect is paid dms will offer the most popular games, allowing for a large customer base.  Even free dms do this to some extent, they'll have trouble getting enough players for their preferred system so they'll throw their hands up and run 5e.  This becomes even more of an issue when your income depends on having players.  This means almost all of the paid games will be 5e. Before paid games were common the lfg forum was full of different games; 1e, 2e, 3e, 4e, Pathfinder, Conan, Warhammer, Pendragon, GURPS, MERP, HERO, Rifts, and even Alternity were commonly offered by DMS.  Now it's almost nothing but 5e.  For people who aren't 5e fans the site is only useful as a platform for groups you've been playing with for years already, not for finding a new group. Essentially, Roll20 is a 5e platform now.  Unfortunately there's no other site that offers the same functionality while remaining user friendly.

Edited 1650299022
Tom
Pro
I hear ya Steve, but not quite that cynical, yet even after all the "stuff" I have gone through in the 10+ years I have sweated blood, tears and cash onto this place. Just wish they were more forthcoming and way less, "you will know when we release it to you", unless it is 5th Ed related then boy you can preorder it or have a huge team on it ASAP up to a half a year in advance, don't ya know.  thats fine as thats their main thing, great for them.  us using smaller systems with way less numbers are just out in the void it seems at the whims of Roll20 that day, or when they decided what to do and what not to do in a meeting way back when. PFI was like what 5th ed is now back in the day, the forums had a great mix, as you noted, but now...... Great for the paid GM's that took it over, what say about 2 years ago when it became a thing, after much bickering and had waving as I recall when the first ever Paid GM popped up a Paid game, LOL But now it is SUCH a Chore  to troll through all the paid stuff to find interested and interesting new or old players, and GM;s looking for a free game to run. And I don't think it would hurt the Paid GM's one bit as surely as they are that much in demand that sub forum would get the most views and replies, ease of access right..?  Who wants to troll through players and GM's who won't pay out posts!! Ease of use should be thee priority for Roll20, some have hit and some are a big miss, and one has to change with the times to keep up, and not stay stagnant in most any aspect. Its been a whole friggin year  since this post was up, I know many others much longer in wait makes this seem small by comparison.  But hey, GM's will make or break VTT's as without them, what does one really have as ask everyone plainly? But at least we have a "researching" tag on it, for what (sadly) that is worth. :( I thought this new R20 president would make some changes but nope, business as usual here. Just like Nolan was still in charge, and he still is part owner and board member. PLEASE ROLL20 , be more transparent  and not so secretive ,  it will do wonders for the remaining reputation you have garnered over the years. Yes I get things take time and other things get in the way of things yet to be done but honest and open feedback on what is going on can be a big advantage, and you forums is still one of them, but slipping away. My thoughts anyways, others might and probably will vary, but thats the nature of the beast we choose, to be our main hobby, RPG's on a VTT platform. Tom
The LFG category has been split into  Looking For Group: Free Games and  Looking For Group: Paid Games . Posts that included "Paid" in the title were automatically moved.