Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dungeon masters guide contents

Edited 1618686415
So, I have recently purchased Roll20's D&D Dungeon Masters Guide. I'm surprised, disappointed and slightly angry at the fact that there are just so many duplicated journal entries in there. If you just search for Treasure it will return you two "Chapter 7 - Treasure" pages, both the same. Two "Random Treasure pages, Four "Random Treasure - individual" pages, Four "Random Treasure - hoard" pages, one "Random Treasure - Treasure Tables, one "Random Treasure - using the individual treasure tables" and one "Using the Treasure Hoard tables" And they are all the SAME  page!!! That's THIRTEEN identical pages added to the journals on ALL my games. No wonder my games run like arthritic tortoises :( I think that this is just lazy, and I wonder (because I havent checked yet, how many other instances of this there may be in my purchased items.

Edited 1618689121
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
How is the DMG adding handouts to your journal pages? It's a Compendium source. Can you give some repro steps? Also, FWIW, handouts add virtually no load to game performance.
Yep, my bad, not journal, compendium. One of the suggestions I had recently received to my problem of slow response from R20 was that some users have extremely large journals and that this seems to be a possible cause of slowing down. My main point was though, that there were (and I have only looked at treasure so far) a large number of items in the compendium that were nothing more than duplicated entries. I will be looking through other compendium entries to see just how often this happens :(
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The good news is that the size of the Compendium should have zero impact on play. It doesn't load into memory, but is an external database that you make specific calls to. The organization of the DMG is another matter, though. If you have some specific instances of bad or redundant data, please fill out a  Help Center Request . Even if they can't get to something like that right away (Compendium projects can be time consuming and complex), it does get filed as a ticket and eventually the project does get assigned to someone, possibly rolled together with similar reports. I do know that the Compendium is getting some intense scrutiny this year.It's my feeling that it grew much more quickly than anyone planned.