Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Roll20 Announcement - Price Increase

keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Just a quick note on the SyrinScape comment. Roll20's current Audio implementation is a direct result of having depended on third-party audio solutions in the past. Twice those services have gone belly up, completely wreaking havoc on the players here who depend on audio. They have gone through similar pains with Google Image Search and Google Hangouts. They are unlikely ever to depend on outside services for features like that.
So many things have gone up and they are blaming it on an increase in business. You would think that more customers would share in more costs, which would then move prices down, however, this is not the case.
I think this is an interesting line of questioning to pursue! Aside from what you mention here, what would you find of interest for your needs as a player? I can't make any promises right now of course, but I would love to gather and pass along feedback regarding the most sought after features (to be considered along side those from the suggestions forums). Roll20 needs a formal bug reporting system and support for Pro users.   I have no issue paying a periodic fee, but I do expect problem reports to at least be acknowledged when submitted if we're paying for Pro.
Elizabeth W. said: Jim R. said: I have a question about my subscription. Perhaps this has been answered upstream and I've missed it - but how does locked in subscription pricing work? My subscription just auto-renewed for one year... when renewal time returns in 2022, is the current price now locked in for me, or do I need to prepay for 2022's renewal before the price increase? Hey Jim, anyone who is subscribed (at any level, for any length of time) at 12:01 am Pacific on July 1 will automatically join the courtesy period pricing. No steps are necessary to be included in the courtesy period cohort, and it will automatically persist through changes (short of subscription cancellation via subscriber payment issue like card expiration, insufficient funds, new card number, etc., which users should check/update prior to any renewals) until July 1, 2023. I'm glad people from the Roll20 Team are active on this topic, I'll try to sumarize my complains and categorize them without saying anything by other VTTs. First  I have to recognize that my experience with Roll20 overall is amazing, so, thnk you for that. For the things I would like to see in Roll20 I'll do it in "Simple, Not so simple" groups and I'll try to justify why we need this stuff. Simple Stuff A way to categorize our Random Tables. Come on guys, do you play RPG's? For many of us, if not all of us, Random Tables are essential to our games and we don't have a way to subdivide them in groups or to simple sort them (come on x2). A meta search . Sometimes we mess up the names of our stuff and implement them in the game like this, so, if I want to change a Random Table, Handout or Macro name I don't have a way to search what references to it. Interactive maps . We need a way to drop objects in a map and make them available for players to open handouts  by clicking on it! There is a way to do it but it's ugly and we need to drop the response on the chat before so players can click them.  Simple quality of life improvements  without going into API`s to do every single stuff. The is "oficial" APIs that do some of this but why not have implemented inside the games already? Not so Simple Stuff  (but everyone have this except for us) Weather effects and other simple effects. Come on, I don't have to explain it do I? Everyone have this and we need to go out of our way to get some of this. Light.  The dynamic light is ok but we need more color options , we need to be able to draw lines that means not to block the light  entirelly, like when we have a column on the map, we don`t want to hide the column, but the light behind it.
Does this mean it will be getting even more expensive for people not in the US? I already have to pay an additional fee on top of my subscription fee simply because it registers as an international transaction. 
JR
Roll20 Team
Thanks everyone for your feedback. The purpose of this thread is to be a place to ask questions about the price increase specifically. We plan on closing this announcement thread on May 14 (after 2 weeks of being open) and we really want to make sure that there is room for folks who have questions about their subscriptions. If you have questions, comments, or suggestions about other things or about what would increase the value of a subscription for you specifically, they would be better served elsewhere. We have the Community Roundtable coming up next week on Thursday, May 13th. The timeframe for pre-submitting questions has closed but you can still ask questions directly in chat on the day of. We regularly look at the Suggestion forum and our Help Center requests as well. Sending feedback through those channels is the best way to ensure that we see them and can take note of them as we make plans for development.

Edited 1620553430
Falk
Plus
So if my credit card expires say late 2021, and I do not get new card details before July, will I be able to change the credit card details and still keep the discount? If not, then your "courtesy period" of two years will actually be less than two years, as about half of the credit cards will expire in that time. If we can't change credit card details and still keep the discount, then I personally consider this as yet another attempt of misleading your customers by making promises that somehow do not turn out the way that they sounded when you promised them first. Elizabeth W. said [...] the courtesy period [...] will automatically persist through changes (short of subscription cancellation via subscriber payment issue like card expiration , insufficient funds, new card number , etc., which users should check/update prior to any renewals) until July 1, 2023.

Edited 1620575368
This is the first price increase since I subbed around 5-6 years ago. Is it in the business plan to increase sub rates more frequently in the future?
Sad
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Roll20 price increases by 1USD. Actually it's not big amount, but roll20 is really an amazing website. Obviously looking at its announcements, it is updated every week, but I don't think its functions have become better... The two bugs I submitted have not been fixed after a year and a half...
Doug E. said: This is the first price increase since I subbed around 5-6 years ago. Is it in the business plan to increase sub rates more frequently in the future? The possibility is there, but there's currently no plan for price-increases further on down the line. So if my credit card expires say late 2021, and I do not get new card details before July, will I be able to change the credit card details and still keep the discount? If not, then your "courtesy period" of two years will actually be less than two years, as about half of the credit cards will expire in that time. If we can't change credit card details and still keep the discount, then I personally consider this as yet another attempt of misleading your customers by making promises that somehow do not turn out the way that they sounded when you promised them first. You can update your card information and keep the current price after July 1st as long as the subscription remains active.

Edited 1620633431
Falk
Plus
Juniper L. said: So if my credit card expires say late 2021, and I do not get new card details before July, will I be able to change the credit card details and still keep the discount? You can update your card information and keep the current price after July 1st as long as the subscription remains active. Thanks, that's how I understood it first but it wasn't that clear in the quoted post.
Giger
Pro
API Scripter
I hope this leads to faster and more reliable development and maintenance of this platform.  Lord knows there's huge room for improvement there.

Edited 1620954704
JR said: ... We have the Community Roundtable coming up next week on Thursday, May 13th. ... Is this a thing that happened?  I was unable to find it. Edit: Oh - there it is.  Apparently I was just impatient.

Edited 1620953652
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Yeah it's live on twitch, watching it ATM: <a href="https://www.twitch.tv/roll20app" rel="nofollow">https://www.twitch.tv/roll20app</a>
JR
Roll20 Team
Thank you all again for your feedback and understanding as we move forward with this strategy. To reiterate, beginning July 1, 2021, Roll20 will be increasing prices on all new subscriptions for the first time since 2012. The monthly price for Plus will increase from $4.99 per month to $5.99 per month, with the annual Plus subscription increasing from $49.99 per year to $59.99 per year. Pro subscriptions will increase from $9.99 to $10.99 per month, with the annual Pro subscriptions increasing from $99.99 per year to $109.99 per year. Free accounts and the free account experience will remain unchanged. As a courtesy to our current subscribers, all accounts subscribed before 12:01am Pacific July 1, 2021, will be able to “lock in” their current price for the next two years. This courtesy period will last until they cancel their subscription, until their subscription ends, or until July 1, 2023, whichever comes first. After this courtesy period, the subscription prices will increase to reflect the new pricing structure. Changing existing subscription levels or between annual/monthly plans will not affect this courtesy period. Changing your payment method (so long as payment does not lapse) will also not affect this courtesy period. This extension does not apply if a cancellation happens due to a subscriber payment issue (card expiration, insufficient funds, new card number, etc.). As it has now been two weeks since our announcement, we will now close this thread. If you have any further questions about your subscription, please feel free to ask them on the Help Center . You can also view our FAQ .