Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Bug? Suggestion?] Incorrect AC Calculation Issue

I have a hard-copy of Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, and I'm giving an NPC the Barrier Tattoo as an "equipped" item. The version of the item in question gives the character an AC of 18. However, whenever I enter "AC:18" into the Mods field, it adds 18 to the AC instead of setting the AC to 18. (The NPC's natural AC is 12, then jumps to 30 from this issue.) However, this does not happen if I give the item the "Heavy Armor" type, since the compendium seems to recognize that Heavy Armor does not add anything to the AC value. I would like to see the "AC: #" function consistently so I can make or add "non-armor" items that make a character's AC (or other stats) a flat number instead of an additive bonus. We can already use "Ac +#" for AC Bonuses and the like. Why does "AC: #" do both? Additionally, making this functionality consistent would help those who have physical copies of official content add the those items without having to purchase content they already own again (or isn't available on Roll20 yet) while we wait for Custom Compendium entries, and even beyond that point. At this point I'm not sure whether this is a Bug Report, a Suggestion, or maybe even both.

Edited 1620762571
Bianca
Roll20 Team
Hello! Would you mind dropping this description here:&nbsp; <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/requests/new" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/requests/new</a> If you choose "Other Roll20 Questions" then "Character Sheets or Compendium,", that'll help it get to the right place. Thanks!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi SlendyMcTendies, The mods were added by different devs over the years and don't all obey the same rules. You can find a list of the various mods and their syntax here . The specific rules for AC are: By itself,&nbsp; AC: 13 &nbsp;adds 13 to the character’s Armor Class. It does not replace it. If&nbsp; Shield ,&nbsp; Light Armor ,&nbsp; Medium Armor , or&nbsp; Heavy Armor &nbsp;is also in the mods field, it will change the calculation. Light Armor, AC: 13 &nbsp;will give a formula of 13 + dex mod Medium Armor, AC: 13 &nbsp;will give a formula of 13 + dex mod (max +2) Heavy Armor, AC: 13 &nbsp;will give you flat AC 13 Shield, AC: 13 &nbsp;would add 13 to the your AC. The Shield keyword is superfluous in this case. Shield, AC: 2 &nbsp;will just add 2 to the AC. Finally, a bare modifier, such as for a Ring of Protection can just be written as&nbsp; AC: +2 &nbsp;or&nbsp; AC +1 . Shield or bare AC bonuses will stack with other armor mods on different items. You cannot equip multiple armors simultaneously, or have a custom armor equation on the settings tab and wear an armor. This will generate a flag. The + and a colon are semi-optional.&nbsp; AC +5 ,&nbsp; AC: +5 ,&nbsp; AC: 5 &nbsp;will all work. However,&nbsp; AC 5 &nbsp;will do nothing. For consistency and to guard against future functionality, it’s probably best to indicate a base AC as&nbsp; AC: n &nbsp;and a Shield as&nbsp; AC +n . At this point, there is no way to differentiate between Ranged AC and Melee AC, though some magic items such as the&nbsp; Arrow Catching Shield &nbsp;make the distinction.
keithcurtis said: Hi SlendyMcTendies, The mods were added by different devs over the years and don't all obey the same rules. You can find a list of the various mods and their syntax here . Thank you for pointing me to this resource. I will make sure to keep it on hand for future reference. Bianca B. said: Hello! Would you mind dropping this description here:&nbsp; <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/requests/new" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/requests/new</a> If you choose "Other Roll20 Questions" then "Character Sheets or Compendium,", that'll help it get to the right place. Thanks! Thank you for your reply! I will make sure to do so.